What's new

Video/Tutorial Vagrant vs. Chaosphere casuals.

Vagrant

Noob
Took the opportunity on saturday to get sets in with the thunder god who knocked me out of losers at Frosty Fausting last December. Big thanks to Chaosphere for running this matchup with me it was a lot of fun and I'm glad I could get a better grip on it.

Fell free to leave suggestions for my Sonya in the comments. There were some messeed up inputs in this set, ignore those. She's 2 months old but I would say she's coming along pretty nicely. I'm poking a little too much. Still used to scorp haha.

Chaospheres lady also called him mid set and there was a controller desync issue.

Vagrant

Noob
Got away with way too many diveicks. Gotta tone that shit down. I'm always hoping for the 40 off the counter poke lol

he was crossing you over A LOT, he wasnt playing patiently or footsieing enough, work on ex cartwheeling that or uppercutting or doing a dash under or a neutral jump punch.... also you should punish a little bit better on occasion, let him drop after the super man... and get more damage, also grab his ass a lot, once raiden doesnt have the lifelead hes dead you have all the time in the world.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Well I guess I can point out a few things.

1. For any move that has a spin in the air on block recovery like Raiden's superman, you should wait and dive kick them right after they hit the ground. They're still recovering for a bit on the ground, so you can get the full 40% instead of the 20% or so that you were getting punishing with 1 in the air. The exception to this rule is Mileena.

2. You did it more so as the set went on, but you really should use her d4 more. As much as people like to bitch about it, it really is a great tool, and one of her main footsies tools.

3. Don't let him bully you with jump over punches. Sonya's uppercut is GREAT to beat those.

4. When you land a raw Cartwheel I noticed that you would almost always follow up with a bunch of dash 1's as your combo. Just make sure that whenever you throw out a cartwheel you are ready to follow it up with the full BnB on hit. Obviously you can do it since you do it off of dive kicks, it's just about being comfortable confirming whether or not it hit. I was suuuuuper guilty of this until not too long ago.

I think that's mainly it. Nice set though. Hope that helps.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
damn peckapowa said most of this already and I didn't notice because I still had the page up from 40 minutes ago haha

Vagrant

Noob
Yeah my punishes were way off. Still woring on the iadk after a blocked tele/superman into full punish.

Justice

Noob
I think your DK use is pretty spot on. I did see one or two risky ones but they paid off for you so there's not much I can say about that.

One thing you might wanna tone down a little is the MS > F1 xx K use. Switch up the Kartwheel a little more with a D1 poke (on block) or nothing (spacing for more shenanigans) or a full dash over your prone opponent to confuddle wake ups and back pressure.

Other than those minor points, great matches dood!

4x4lo8o

Noob
So, I really shouldn't be helping a Sonya player, but I noticed a couple things.

First off, don't let him cross you up so much. You can just uppercut him out of that shit every time. Don't go for d1's or 1's any other fancy anti air shit, just uppercut. It's easy and it'll make him stop jumping.You can also d4 and it lowers your hitbox and will make crossovers whiff.

Abuse d4 in this match up more. Raiden has no good answer to d4. It out ranges b312 and all his other normals. If he gets you to whiff he can punish with superman, but it's hard and if he messes up the timing it's full combo punishable.

As other people said, work on your superman punish. There's lots of characters that have moves where they ball up like that on block and you can attack them after they land, so that should be a punish you know anyway.

Your projectile is really good in this match up. Raiden can't punish it with teleport, can't trade easily, and from full screen sometime he can't even punish with ex-superman.

When he does 334~teleport, that's punishable. I saw you try to interrupt 334 with ex-cartwheel a couple times, and I don't know if you know exactly what was going on or the whole yomi game there, but what happens is if Raiden predicts you're going to interrupt he can cancel 334 into teleport and the 4 will hit and his teleport will come out before your cartwheel hits. He was using 334~teleport way too often in fear of your cartwheel, and you could have been punishing him for it. It's -13, just like a normal teleport, so you can punish with 114, or a divekick or whatever.

You should really be punishing teleports with divekicks. I think it's her max damage punish, it's fast enough that he can't block it and even if you're a little slow and he gets an attack off divekick will almost always stuff it, and ontop of all that if he uses ex-teleport divekick will autocorrect and still hit him. It's such bullshit, divekick just completely takes away his best tool.

@Chaosphere, why'd you use ex-vb at 1:17?

Vagrant

Noob
When he does 334~teleport, that's punishable. I saw you try to interrupt 334 with ex-cartwheel a couple times, and I don't know if you know exactly what was going on or the whole yomi game there, but what happens is if Raiden predicts you're going to interrupt he can cancel 334 into teleport and the 4 will hit and his teleport will come out before your cartwheel hits. He was using 334~teleport way too often in fear of your cartwheel, and you could have been punishing him for it. It's -13, just like a normal teleport, so you can punish with 114, or a divekick or whatever.

@Chaosphere, why'd you use ex-vb at 1:17?
I usually like to interrupt before the 4 to condition to tele and then punish the tele with dk. My dk punishes just need to level up. I had the theory down though

Vagrant

Noob
Main things to work on

Uppercutting cross ups on reaction
Dk punishes after the ball roll animation thingy
Use d4 more
Use better punishes off of CW

4x4lo8o

Noob
I usually like to interrupt before the 4 to condition to tele and then punish the tele with dk. My dk punishes just need to level up. I had the theory down though
Yeah, that's exactly what you should be doing. I just didn't see much punishing of the teleport so I thought it was worth explaining. The risk reward on all that is pretty heavily in Sonya's favor, I think. If he links 334 into tele and is wrong it's punishable and even if you do cartwheel he doesn't get anything other than avoiding a punish. I try not to even use that string against Sonya, it's just not worth it.

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
Vagrant i love you...but whenever i see you type "use d4 more" a part of me dies.

That being said i was in the commentators seat for that whole set, and despite my trolling i took a lot away from it. My number one tip is dont be scared. Chaospheres raiden is great, no joke, but fight the match on screen, not the match in your head. Play him like PimPimJim and me play each other. Ok maybe less xrays, but you know what i mean. Losey goosey. Honestly man. The technical stuff will come with reps. I saw up close what no one can see on stream. Your hesitations. Thats how i knocked chaosphere out of the tourney. I just told myself he was just a buddy id be drinking with the night before, not a top raiden player. And boom, i played relatively solid and got a good tourney win.

Ill let the better players here dissect your fundamentals, execution, etc. But as your friend, and as someone who has played you 1000 times, and as someone who was two feet away while this set went down...you doubted yourself bro. It was over before it started. Youre levelling up like mad. No more doubts. For i am Broseiden, Lord of the Brocean, and these words to you Vagrant, i now have spoken.

PS: stay free to kano.

Vagrant

Noob
Vagrant i love you...but whenever i see you type "use d4 more" a part of me dies.

That being said i was in the commentators seat for that whole set, and despite my trolling i took a lot away from it. My number one tip is dont be scared. Chaospheres raiden is great, no joke, but fight the match on screen, not the match in your head. Play him like PimPimJim and me play each other. Ok maybe less xrays, but you know what i mean. Losey goosey. Honestly man. The technical stuff will come with reps. I saw up close what no one can see on stream. Your hesitations. Thats how i knocked chaosphere out of the tourney. I just told myself he was just a buddy id be drinking with the night before, not a top raiden player. And boom, i played relatively solid and got a good tourney win.

Ill let the better players here dissect your fundamentals, execution, etc. But as your friend, and as someone who has played you 1000 times, and as someone who was two feet away while this set went down...you doubted yourself bro. It was over before it started. Youre levelling up like mad. No more doubts. For i am Broseiden, Lord of the Brocean, and these words to you Vagrant, i now have spoken.

PS: stay free to kano.
....I lost like 2 matches out of the whole set brah.... Next time watch the video....

I think you're talking about the sets later when I switched to scorp. It's a mental thing for me because he knocked my scorp out at FF.

PS: One more X ray and I will cut your balls off and make you eat them. XD

Edit: All of that aside... The mental stuff you mentioned was good advice..... For a Kano player.....

Vagrant

Noob
Vagrant i love you...but whenever i see you type "use d4 more" a part of me dies..

Watch the set cockbreath I barely used it at all. It's free chip/meter for very little risk in this MU and I should have used it a bit more. Not like random online Mileena more but more.

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
And maybe i was thinking about the scorp sets. If thats the case, my apologies. I guess my memory is going in my old age. Ill watch the vid later.

As for the good advice about the mental aspect...youre welcome. Its great to see how far your Sonya has levelled up in such a short term. Beastmode.

Next time you need advice, my hours are billable. But this time....No Charge...