What's new

Using the staff and keeping pressure with it(ideas/questions)

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
Do you guys use the staff on certain match ups or situations???

I find i rarely use the staff unless i am in the corner and can keep them there with the long range pokes, actually found i struggled using the staff vs Bane...

Obviously i want to have the staff as an important part of my game but cant help but feel i lose too much pressure.

Are there any strings that you can trait off that keep them standing and allow the pressure to continue? Tried using f123/113 cancel into trait to keep them standing and follow up pressure..think on hit it works quite well because of the pushback/hit adv and allows me to follow up with 1f1 which will hit on both hits, no idea if its punishable when done properly

112 is +21 on block, cancelling into that on block has anyone tried that?

dont play nightwing too much but tried this:
113 cancel into trait, 1f1 mb ground blast MB, j2, 1 xx staff spin cancel into trait...dash in once and cross him up and beats green lanterns pick up special on wakeup and crosses him up.

AssassiN

Noob
Staff is actually better for up-close pressure, he's got better frametraps + J2 and 2 are wonderful AA's.
In the corner it rapes people, they have a hard time getting out and you can keep them on their toes.

Escrima is better for movement and getting close while Staff is better for long range pokes and pressure.
You can cancel into Staff Ground Blast with 112, there is no other string he has where it's guaranteed.

However he has strings like F213(first hit), 33 where he can cancel into Staff Spin and they have to respect it. Once they respect that you can use Ground Blast.

And yeah, I use the staff in certain MU's like Aquaman. Nightwing does not have to be in the Escrima stance once in this MU, the only problem you'll face is changing into Staff stance without getting punished.

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
awesome info, ive neglected staff way too much so thats why im slacking compared to the escrimas. i take it cancelling into staff ground blast with 112 is on hit?? if it works on block that is awesome (cant check it until tomorrow now)

so 113 cancel into staff on hit is not guaranteed? there cant be many frames in it, wish i had more time to test rather than hassel you guys for info (im impatient lol)

im kinda obsessed with nightwings ability to pile the pressure on whilst keeping the opponent standing, never letting them being able to tech roll/wakeup (escrima stance ground sparks and follow ups) i used to play nightwolf in MK so i have it from playing him. dont think the advantage is as great as it was in MK though but the idea is still there

think its time i have some staff only matches and at least try cancels into the staff rather than fighting with escrimas only

thanks anyway man

AssassiN

Noob
All info I shared was on block, you can't do anything with 112 on hit. Only in the corner you can combo of 112.

With 113 on hit you can cancel into staff into Ground Blast MB for a combo, on block the trait cancel is not really guaranteed since there is a little framehole.

Nightwing has the ability to do untechable knockdowns in both stances, in Escrimas he has Flipkick and 113(hard to do midscreen), while in Staff he can do Staff Spin(can be canceled into Escrima's) and D3.

Using only one stance in matches is a bad idea, only in a few MU's it's recommended. It's very situational and you can be in huge trouble if you're in the wrong stance.

AkTiVe

o.o
His staff is the shit. I use it a lot againts Big characters. Zone them and AA them with Flying Grayson.