What's new

Strategy Using H20 Buff to Bait and Punish

High Plains Drifter

Rain is my main and pain is my game!
The Bait and Punish-

For the time being the strategy presented here is a non-competitive tournament fighting strategy that could eventually grow into a relevant competitive fighting strategy, I hope. This thread attempts to introduce the ways to use the H20 Buff safely, ending in high damage combos that can be devastating that help create future mind games. I am not a high level player, but I have a lot of knowledge and understanding of the mechanics of MK9. Where I lack is execution but that’s coming.

So here goes….

People are starting to realize how amazing Rain’s tools are, the trick is adjusting your setups based on what move set the opponent possess. The scenarios and ideas presented here are no different. I lack match up experience versus certain characters so if you have a good matchup specific tech please post.

When to use the H20 Buff-

I advice only using this tech in specific situations: those were Rain has a life-lead and you have at least 2 bars of meter, because doing normal Water Boost is a waste of time and simply not a worth while setup. Advantages to using the H20 Buff are longer duration, increased damage boost and 15-20 frames of armor in middle of execution. FYI….H20 Buff takes 53 frames to execute before attacking or linking next animation.

How to use H20 Buff Safely-

Lets start with the simplest, easiest and generally safest opportunities to execute H20 Buff.

Lightning and Thunder Storm
Anytime Rain performs Lightning in a combo it can be followed by H20 Buff and still have around 23 frames before your opponent can execute their wake up move. Using Thunder Storm instead of Lighting gives you around 30 frames of advantage and allows you to keep pressure.

Super Kick
Finishing a combo with Super Kick and going right into H20 Buff can be an amazing setup, but beware of using this against opponents that have 6 frames wakeup moves I.E. Kung Lao and Reptile and always be prepared to execute EN–Super Kick aka Power Kick immediately after the opponent lands at your feet.

These setups are punishable only if opponent rolls
Geyser Kick

One must be smart when executing H20 Buff after Geyser, specifically do not link it after full combo in the corner when the opponent is right at your feet you will get punished. That being said finishing mid-screen combos with Geyser and H20 Buff linked can be said but once again if the opponent performs a roll your toast since it cuts your advantage down to about +27 frames instead of +60.

Right as Rain

Input: :fp :bp :r +:bk ending your combo with Right as Rain and H20 Buff linked provides +19 frames advantage but if the opponent rolls your at
- 13 frames.

Other Semi-safe possibilities are

Spillover and Moisturize me

Input: :fk :fk :bk and :bk :fk :l +:bk both of these are tuff to execute as combo enders and leave you at disadvantage. So don’t use either of these options unless you can catch your opponent off guard.

Uppercut

Once again only link the H20 Buff here if you think the opponent isn’t expecting it and if you hit them further away instead of right behind you where you should have caught him with a :bk :fk Aqua Splash.

My two favorite setups to use H20 Buff…

Stepping Sidekick
Input: :l +:fk , linking H20 Buff after a full combo that ends in this crush of a kick can be very effective against wake up attacks such as sub-zeros slide. The way the frames add up you can consistently stop your opponent in his tracks with Rains armor giving you an opportunity to full combo punish for 50+ or in the case of a miss-time you only eat 8-12 percent damage. This better against certain matchups, but because they think you can’t block they will be baited into going for wake-up only to find out that’s what you were hoping for.

Waterfall
Input: :l +:bp :fp +:bp In my opinion this is by far his best setup for H20 Buff and probably one of his least used combo enders but it may be his best. Here is why later in the combo this move creates amazing splat, which prevents the opponent from performing their wake-up move, the opponent is far away, and Rain is approximately neutral (plus or minus 2 frames) at this point. Since, Waterfall is +51 advantage for Rain regardless of whether or not the opponent rolls.

Waterfall is difficult to preform later in combos but in all cases you must whiff :l +:bp to land :fp +:bp this can be done after Super Kick, Bubble or Lightning ending in approximately 35 percent damage done.

Remember…

Rain must always have a second bar of meter in all of these situations and be prepared to sacrifice it for huge damage.

Baiting and punishing once your Boosted

Well the baiting part should be easy since, Rain can no longer block the opponent may play looser than usual this is where you must punish him and make him think twice about attacking your powered up Rain.
The most likely way to punish in this situation is by using the Power Kick cancel into other special move when your opponent attempts to zone you and take you out of boost. Using the armor to create either an armored Lightning or Water Bubble, this is very tough and I suck at it on a pad and in general.

Mind Games

Rain has so much armor its crazy; so don’t be afraid to throw out Thermal Spring or Aqua-port as great reactionary tools. The goal is to punish at first and once they are afraid that’s when the real mind games begin, because if Scorpion throws his spear or does hell fire and misses he will potential eat 60 and knowing that can make you think twice about attacking Rain even when he can’t block.

Also against a weak zoner like Cage you can use water boost to bait green ball and punish with Aqua-port for 20 percent damage.

Thank you guys and gals for reading and please post your thoughts below.

Honestly the boost isn't that useful. Yes it has armor but only for a certain amount of frames or else you can get hit out of it and good luck punishing anything but extremely unsafe wakeups like Kabal's. If you are reading that they're going to an unsafe wakeup then you're better off just spending 1 bar to flash parry it and you're still getting a 50% combo than having to spend a second bar for another 10% if you use for Ex Rh. Even if they don't do a wakeup then you can just go into rh pressure for free and still have that extra bar for something else.

Lol. Because of the damage boost, this tech could easily be the difference-maker in a down-to-the-wire match. I say take everything you can get.

Nice guide, Drifter.
My point is that you could do almost the same damage for one less bar and end up ahead in all situations. If i do b2 ex rhc cancel as they are getting up, I win no matter what they do. If they wakeup, I absorb it and get a 50% combo. If they block, I'm at advantage and can go into pressure. If they delay getting up, then the ex rh doesn't come out and I get to save my meter. Or they b2 hits and it's easily hitconfirmed into 50%. I'm just saying I would rather spend 1 bar for 50% than risk 2 bars for like 63% then the meter I save can be used for an ex tele for an extra 12%. So the damage is equal and trying to flash parry is much safer.

High Plains Drifter

All I'm trying to point out is that he has this move that no one really uses and I'm trying to figure out how to use it effectively. Also I agree with both of your points at least for the most part, because this is not always a viable strategy and its very matchup specific as well as situation specific. Keep in mind you wont always have to use 2 bars if your smart and I need to look into more but its my feeling that a normal bnb that would award you 45% damage would be around 58% which is significant.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
The move is just as useless as Quan Chi's boost but worse. I would save all my meter for more reliable things. Its been discussed before but boost will almost never have a true use. It is by all means a terrible special.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
the only and i mean ONLY time using boost would ever be even remotely worth using would be if u cancel ex roundhouse into boost since the armor carries over, however if u do the ex boost thats 2 bars of meter spend. not really the best way to spend your meter but whatevs.

WarfaringStranger

Shao Kahn's creation
Try playing the character and youll understand. Hes pretty to the point on what you have to do.
I've played with Rain at length. And I main Skarlet and use Jax as a tertiary, both of whom use armor in similar fashion to Rain. I'd love it if one of them could boost their damage. Can't tell you how many times an extra few percent damage on Skarlet's EX red dash or Jax's EX overhead smash would have won me a match.

I agree the H20 Boost is situational, but you guys have apparently written it off like it's never a viable tech. Seems especially uncreative to me.

Where's the swag?

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Trust me it won't be useful when rain is already fighting for his life against characters like Lao kabal Kenshi etc. you can barely throw lightning and not get blown up in almost any matchup. You want to throw a move with 60 frames of startup that if I mistimed it I can't block for like 10 seconds and most likely get full combos for free. It's just not logical.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
H2O is usefull in TAG (quanchi&rain, kabal&rain). The only way to use it in 1vs1 is a trap (H2O after a storm, and then ex-RH vs wakeup) or use it with ex-RHcharge (+ H2O while holding the kick) to cover and give more armor to the H2O animation.

High Plains Drifter

Trust me it won't be useful when rain is already fighting for his life against characters like Lao kabal Kenshi etc. you can barely throw lightning and not get blown up in almost any matchup. You want to throw a move with 60 frames of startup that if I mistimed it I can't block for like 10 seconds and most likely get full combos for free. It's just not logical.
No offense I kinda feel like you didn't read my thread...you just saw H2O Boost and thought what an idiot. I would never use this tech against anyone without a life-lead and never in a tournament against the cast of characters you mentioned. That being said if your playing some casuals against, scorpion, sub, cyber sub, JC, Jade to name a few it can be a fun mix up to throw-out once in a while even late in a first to three when they've started to figure out your jk tele and even then I would almost only do the boost after splatting my opponent with :l:bp :fp+:bp. I think its a cool move maybe not tournament worth and I have watched some footage on you Smarrgasm and you are the best Rain I've seen so....Kudos but we all can't be competitive fighters. Just think about ending a fight with H2O boost full combo, getting toasty boost after second uppercut and ending it that X-ray for like 80% Earlier I turned a standard bnb of 42% into 60% with the boost I can only imagine what you could get it up to.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
No offense I kinda feel like you didn't read my thread...you just saw H2O Boost and thought what an idiot. I would never use this tech against anyone without a life-lead and never in a tournament against the cast of characters you mentioned. That being said if your playing some casuals against, scorpion, sub, cyber sub, JC, Jade to name a few it can be a fun mix up to throw-out once in a while even late in a first to three when they've started to figure out your jk tele and even then I would almost only do the boost after splatting my opponent with :l:bp :fp+:bp. I think its a cool move maybe not tournament worth and I have watched some footage on you Smarrgasm and you are the best Rain I've seen so....Kudos but we all can't be competitive fighters. Just think about ending a fight with H2O boost full combo, getting toasty boost after second uppercut and ending it that X-ray for like 80% Earlier I turned a standard bnb of 42% into 60% with the boost I can only imagine what you could get it up to.
I understand where youre coming from and yea in a fun setting it would be cool to throw this stuff around. If you look at the earlier boost threads it has been discussed a lot. I wasnt attacking you in any way but the move itself. Your post was informative and well though out. I just dont want people to get the wrong idea when trying to use this in a competitive sense which you covered. I didnt mean to come in and ruin the thread cause it does merit discussion since it is part of rains game. My fault. Carry on.

PS-The first person to land an ex boost setup for full combo will get $10 via paypal from me. Has to be in tournament on camera/stream.

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
good post man, I'm glad you went into frames and everything. I really wish there was something we could do with h20 boot but it's just to damn slow. I think the best gimmick is using boos after a lighting, or if your fighting someone scrubby you can use it to bait and punish with armor. while I think some kinda boot set up would be nice, I don't think Rain needs it. Rain has to many good tools to have to fall back on gimmicks

High Plains Drifter

Well...I'm attempting to integrate this strategy into my everyday fighting style and I'll let you know how it goes, but your right for now it is only a fun gimmick. To bad it is not easier to perform flash perry into armored specials in the manner either SaJa or Mothmonsterman showcased a few weeks back, that way they would be hesitant about trying to zone you out of boost.