What's new

Strategy Using bats more for defense? Looking for discussion here

So I haven't gotten to use training mode much at all with this game yet since we've been traveling a lot, but I've gotten to play a decent variety of people and learn a lot of things.

One thing I'm noticing is just how many problems there are with using bats for pressure & getting in: vulnerable to pushblock, don't track certain things well at all (e.g. airdashes, Frost slide), and whiff crouchers up close so you can't really cover some of the holes in his strings.

In light of that, I've started considering bats as a *defensive* tool much more, and have a little bit of early success with this along with a bunch of theory-fighter stuff. So what do I mean by this?

Simple: call bats in the neutral game, and hang outside your opponent's poking range. And an important part...don't be afraid to block with bats out!

Being able to whiff punish and AA with bats is pretty obvious, as is using them to punish normally safe moves like BA's divekick. The less obvious and most important part of this post, I think, is using bats to destroy your *opponent's* pressure.

Simplest example of this: I used to lose to Superman all the time until I started using bats to beat anything he tried after f+23 breath. That one tactic opens up so much here, and I think gives Batman a slight advantage in that matchup. An almost unbeatable reversal that also catches backdashes for a full combo is a one-of-a-kind tool in this game, especially when you consider that you can still block while using it!

A more advanced example that's more theory but worth looking into...if you have bats out and block something that's -4 to -6 or so, I think doing a b1 string and bats simultaneously could be a very strong option select. b1 will beat d1's (and parries!) and stop armor moves in this situation when timed correctly...but the bats will allow us to stuff armor even if they get it off, AND catch a backdash. Unfortunately I don't think this will work with 113 due to the bats' issues with crouchers, but the idea still has potential I think.

If anything, having bats as a reversal for situations where the opponent is +4 or more on block might be an even bigger deal than the above. Especially given how god-awful Bruce's d1 is...

tl;dr I currently feel that being able to safely block or even poke while mashing bats as a reversal is a game-changer, and not nearly as easily thwarted as bats pressure is. It takes a lot more guts to have bats out in situations where you can realistically be hit, but I think the rewards are more than worth it; I believe it could turn around key matchups such as Superman & Frost, though sadly it's still largely useless vs Aquaman.

All this said, I am definitely open to criticism and other thoughts - that's why I made this thread! Any discussion here would be greatly appreciated.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
I think his trait is the biggest strategic piece on this game, there are so many options with it! From helping your push game to b4ing wakeups to defense to combo continuation...I think if someone was to use the bats differently every match (Example: to stop BA's divekick, to punish Aquaman's trident rush after pushblocking, to pop-up for good wakeup games), Batman can win a lot more tourneys than it is...but it'll take a far better player than me to do it

TH3DISTURBED1

"Never say 'never'
I started doing this online 2 weeks ago (I haven't looked into finding a local scene yet), and the results are outstanding. Most people just assume immediately that you don't know what you are doing with trait and blindy rush you. I've been using it to punish things like KF slide, Superman's F23 pressure, Black Adam's dive kick, unsafe teleports and strings from Scorpion, Aquaman's From the Deep, and even strings with holes in them. Once you blow up their string or moves once or twice, they don't know what to do. That's when I start the pressure.

The thing about Batman is that his trait is the MOST important aspect of his character. He just needs to manage it well and use it in more ways than just pressure. It relieves pressure, enhances zoning, starts pressure, punishes wiffed strings and jump ins, and gives Batman his full-roundedness. Without using his trait in all aspects, you aren't playing him to his potential. I'm sure there's more we can learn as well.

Yeah like the aboves said, one of the best things about batman is theres no just one effective way s to use his trait, i always change up trait styles depending on the character and situation. Like you said, most people when they see your trait assume you dont know wtf your doing, but punish a few of theyre mistakes with them and make em eat a combo, and suddenly as soon as you pull your trait out they just crouch block. Its always funny imo when you pop trait out and just start walking towards the guy, as they crouch block afraid to do anything because you could release the bats at the right time =D. His trait covers all aspects, from more mixups due to trait cancelling, getting in on zoners, applying more pressure and making your strings safe, increasing your combos and damage, starting a combo off of someones mistake, the bats are just that freaking awesome.

o Ventus

Noob
Batman definitely has one of (IMO) the best traits. I use it more for whiff punishing than anything, and the amoun of free combos just astounds me.