What's new

Strategy Usefulness of Double Punch

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
The double punch is seeming to be a useful tool for getting close to the opponent. I've been seeing discussion on the forum, so I decided to try it out. What I've noticed is that dashing in at an opponent, using a level 1 venom, then throwing the double punch is great to get in close. I've been trying to use the jumping body slam as an alternative for this too. After knocking someone down I've noticed that using a double punch with venom can get them back down while setting up the body press throw. Are there any other thoughts to using the double punch?

Stuck

Mid Tier Whore. 1 combo and a dream.
As you said, it's good with level one venom when your moving in if they attempt a string. I use it as a wake up with level 1 venom if they are putting on constant ground pressure. On a grounded opponent, f2d into df1 is pretty good if your trying to get the overhead.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Right. A lot of times I find that more than LVL 1 venom is needed for the punch. I'm seeing a lot of Deathstroke characters that wake up with the spinning sword that hits before the punch, so more armor is needed. I haven't tried the advancing overhead punch. Is that armored with venom though?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I posted in the Bane general discussion thread about how Double Punch is a great pressure tool with Venom activated. Landing a block string to pop Venom, then throwing a Double Punch afterwards is a great check because you'll armor through most if not all counter attacks.

I don't know if you can Double Punch armor, and then double punch again with the armor afterwards; I could just be having trouble doing it. You open up a lot of your options with the threat of armoring them though.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
if you're using double punch once Venom'd in prediction of them pressing a button, surely you should always use backbreaker instead as it gives more damage and better positioning?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
if you're using double punch once Venom'd in prediction of them pressing a button, surely you should always use backbreaker instead as it gives more damage and better positioning?
I've had the command grab beaten out by some faster strings. Double punch has been a lot more consistent but it's important to mix them up. :)

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
i guess it depends on the character, against people like lex/wonder woman it seems to be better than double punch, so many new matchups :D

Reactions: RYX

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Yes, we should definitely take match-ups into consideration! :)

So many things to think about with Bane, I love it.

Stuck

Right. A lot of times I find that more than LVL 1 venom is needed for the punch. I'm seeing a lot of Deathstroke characters that wake up with the spinning sword that hits before the punch, so more armor is needed. I haven't tried the advancing overhead punch. Is that armored with venom though?
f2 and f2d have armor with venom.

Stuck

It seems as if people can jump out of command grab but double punch stuffs them on wake up.

Stuck

From what I've been trying it's only when I have level 3 venom. I don't get any armor with level 1 and I don't think there's any for level 2.
Really, I could have sworn I get normal level 1 venom armor with f2 and f2d.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
double punch is best used when linked from d1 to keep pressure up, the -f dont mean shit with venom up

It seems as if people can jump out of command grab but double punch stuffs them on wake up.
I noticed this too. I was whiffing the command grab over and over before I realized you have to use the double punch against the jumpers.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
double punch is best used when linked from d1 to keep pressure up, the -f dont mean shit with venom up
you can buffer double punch into literally every d1 you throw out, if you got venom available there seems to be little reason not to, also d1 buffered into charge seems to be neat once the punch is respected.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
you can buffer double punch into literally every d1 you throw out, if you got venom available there seems to be little reason not to, also d1 buffered into charge seems to be neat once the punch is respected.
or command throw to command throw again until vneoms over

Bane has that perfect balance of simplicity and depth if you ask me. Making him by far my favorite character to play.

That and making Flash players rage is funny.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
Body press is slow. Even with armor you can be strung out. It's not effective if you don't have some frame advantage covering you. Double punch is legit especially when you get people paranoid off b.L,L and cr.L. the wall carry with Mb-double punch is great too.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Body press is slow. Even with armor you can be strung out. It's not effective if you don't have some frame advantage covering you. Double punch is legit especially when you get people paranoid off b.L,L and cr.L. the wall carry with Mb-double punch is great too.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
It has range. Range that beats out most normals and even a few advancing strings because the following hits aren't fast enough.

Also knock downs.

Stuck

Since we are talking about pressure on grounded opponents, how do you deal with flashes up punch wakeup. It goes through my armor without hitting me twice and Flash ends up directly behind me to start his Flash ass shenanigans. Yup "Flash ass shenanigans," you heard it here first. He either goes directly into another up punch or his cross over triple kick. Both make my venom armor seem useless. RYX GGA Dizzy PND_Mustard @sorryeveryoneelsethatiscontributingtothebanethreadthatdidn'tgetamention

Stuck

Bane has that perfect balance of simplicity and depth if you ask me. Making him by far my favorite character to play.

That and making Flash players rage is funny.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my above post and give me a tip on the Flash matchup.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I would think Double Punch works.

If not you can get just out of hit range and punish accordingly.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Since we are talking about pressure on grounded opponents, how do you deal with flashes up punch wakeup. It goes through my armor without hitting me twice and Flash ends up directly behind me to start his Flash ass shenanigans. Yup "Flash ass shenanigans," you heard it here first. He either goes directly into another up punch or his cross over triple kick. Both make my venom armor seem useless. RYX GGA Dizzy PND_Mustard @sorryeveryoneelsethatiscontributingtothebanethreadthatdidn'tgetamention
unfortunately i have no input, i am yet to fight a single flash :p

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Flashes uppercut as a wakeup is fully invincible, so you won't be able to stuff it :(

Its badly punishable on block though. Against him you'll have to respect that as an option but if you do, he gets his back blown out (literally)