What's new

Uppercuts.

I have a hell of a time uppercutting people jumping in. Are there any tips anyone could offer me? Do you guys use the stage backgrounds as a way of figuring distance?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
You have to understand that certain characters are better at uppercutting than others.

Liu, Lao, Cage, Kitana, and Mileena can uppercut just about anything under the sun.
Everyone else needs to be timed just right to land the uppercut.

For the male ninjas, I recommend using a RH for an AA attack, since they knock out almost any attack aside from maybe Baraka's JK.

For Shang, Jax, Baraka, and Raiden just use a standing high kick and it works the same as the other characters.

Yeah sometimes shang is hard to uppercut or aaRH pointy ass kick lol. Most of the time you can forget it facing baraka, unless they jk or jp early. But liu has the golden uppercut lol.

dciguy01 said:
You have to understand that certain characters are better at uppercutting than others.

Liu, Lao, Cage, Kitana, and Mileena can uppercut just about anything under the sun.
Everyone else needs to be timed just right to land the uppercut.

For the male ninjas, I recommend using a RH for an AA attack, since they knock out almost any attack aside from maybe Baraka's JK.

For Shang, Jax, Baraka, and Raiden just use a standing high kick and it works the same as the other characters.
I would definitely use a RH for aa with Baraka. It has more reach and does much more damage than his standing HK. Actually, I've yet to find good use for Baraka's standing HK. You have to time it just a tiny bit better than a ninja RH, but the hitbox is huge.

Different characters require different distances from the jump-in and/or different timing to accurately hit someone out of a jump-in. For example, with the female ninjas, the best distance is just outside half-screen and it's better to time the uppercut very late, like as though you're opponent is already almost on top of you. With Cage, the best distance is exactly half screen and the best timing is to start the uppercut when they are right at the peak of the jump-in (as high as they can be in the air, halfway through the motion). I like the female ninja uppercuts the best for crushing a jump-in (since I can be late and still hit it), but Cage, Liu, and Lao have better uppercuts for punishing crossover attempts.

X820 said:
Isn't Liu kang's better?
I think Kang's is easier to time (i.e. you can respond a split second later than Cage's and still connect) and Cage's seems to have a larger hitbox. Konqrr or one of the other guys who know this shit inside and out will correct me if I'm wrong. I also think Liu's works a little bit better on crossovers, but I could be wrong about that, too.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Liu's uppercut is better, so is Lao's...but Cage's uppercut is still top tier.

For crossups, I think Cage's is better because it hits more above him than out...though I could be wrong. I wish there was a cheat for mame that would display the hitboxes!

Also, Baraka's RH hits EVERYTHING! It stuffs Shang's JK clean.

personally i rarely use uppercuts for jump-ins (my timing with that blows) but i do like laos, cages and kangs uppercut i feel that the timing on theirs is more easier. depending on how far the person is jumping in i usually will sweep. But for characters such as kitana, milleena, shang, cage and jax i usually will block! IMO its the safest decision or if i anticipate someone jumping i usually meet them in the air with a SUJK you won't believe the percentage of people who get hit by it lol. there is plenty of options for a AA opponent just choose your decision accordingly but if you want to uppercut fire out of someone i prefer for you to use kang, lao or cage the timing is easier

X820

Noob
Konqrr said:
I wish there was a cheat for mame that would display the hitboxes!
Man I've been thinking the same thing for a longggg time..!

Would be so cool to see how hitboxes get bigger in a stupid way, like baraka's blade spark sprite, you can sweep him eventhough the hit doesn't (visually) connect lol..!

Also for overall mechanics it would be a great help!

Is that shit even possible?

K75Boi

Noob
Along with Cage's i think Kitana's Uppercut is top tier. Uppercuts was the first special move (if you will) that i learned in the arcade days. It really hurts peoples feelings when you land one---lol..

X820 said:
Man I've been thinking the same thing for a longggg time..!

Would be so cool to see how hitboxes get bigger in a stupid way, like baraka's blade spark sprite, you can sweep him eventhough the hit doesn't (visually) connect lol..!

Also for overall mechanics it would be a great help!

Is that shit even possible?
YES! i totally agree with you especially with barakas sweep lol..i would like to see lao's spinning move hitbox. 85% of the time i get swept outta that move when i know i beat my opponents sweep. i would look at jax kitana/mileenas jk and cages SUJK

X820

Noob
Well Lao has a startup of 2-3 frames before actually activating the spin, you see the waves, but it doesn't connect :)

Cage's SUJK is ridiculous, it hits far out of reach and has top priority, godlike sneakerzzzzz lol

my only problem with cages SUJK is that it doesn't connect right away. it seems to need a little more lead time than say Raiden/JaX. Shang is the other one like that.

X820

Noob
Upp Tier list: (oppinion based people)..

1. Liu Kang
2. Kung Lao
3. Kitana / Mileena
4. Baraka
5. Cage
6. Raiden
7. Shang Tsung
8. Male ninja's

X820

Noob
Vassago187 said:
my only problem with cages SUJK is that it doesn't connect right away. it seems to need a little more lead time than say Raiden/JaX. Shang is the other one like that.
You need to be in a specific range in the air for it to top priority, the lower you go below that point. .

So basically, at his highest point in the air, it's untouchable for opponents doing an air attack, even for Kitana's zip punch.

(I've even seen cage kick out Mileena's drop kick, but that's really rare..)

K75Boi said:
Along with Cage's i think Kitana's Uppercut is top tier. Uppercuts was the first special move (if you will) that i learned in the arcade days. It really hurts peoples feelings when you land one---lol..
It's funny that you mention that because a lot of the problems I have with certain moves/timings, I had no problem with in the arcade. Maybe it's just because I'm older now and my reflexes aren't what they use to be :(

if it's online the timing will be jacked due to online lag and other variables that affect the network connection. Offline I haven't found much difference aside from the pad controls not being as tight as a stick

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Something in MKII that messes with your ability to uppercut on reaction is the fact that seven of the characters cannot duck while walking because they have to finish one full cycle of their walk animation. Female and Male Ninjas don't have this problem, they can duck or stop walking anytime. This can be overcome if you want to duck quickly by doing a kara-jab then holding down.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
X820 said:
Upp Tier list: (oppinion based people)..

1. Liu Kang
2. Kung Lao
3. Kitana / Mileena
4. Baraka
5. Cage
6. Raiden
7. Shang Tsung
8. Male ninja's
Jax?

X820 said:
You need to be in a specific range in the air for it to top priority, the lower you go below that point. .

So basically, at his highest point in the air, it's untouchable for opponents doing an air attack, even for Kitana's zip punch.

(I've even seen cage kick out Mileena's drop kick, but that's really rare..)
I've always wondered about that but never tried it. Yesterday I did Baraka's jumping away punch and knocked Mileena out of the telekick and Kitana out of the square wave punch. I occasionally do it with Liu/Lao, but everyone knows they can do it.