What's new

Up missile pressure

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
Hey guys,

I know the Upmissile pressure has been covered but the last few games I've been using a string to really confuse opponents and rush them down.

I doubt I'm the first to use this idea but I haven't seen any mention of it on here unless in a wakeup prevention scenario or corner pressure so thought I'd share and see what you guys think:

JIP, 1 2 Up missile followed immediately by cross over punch 1 2 Up missile again/ Stance 3 4 or just 4 depending on how they are blocking/ Throw

Now usually after the first Up missile the opponent will still be blocking so you can get in one of the second options. If they decide to attack your 1 jab will beat pretty much anything they respond with as it's 6 frames so you could go for 1 2 b1 full combo but I've so far avoided this incase it's blocked in which case you're pushed back. If they decide to jump and cross you over, well I haven't experienced that yet.... maybe you could come up with an option to stop that?

I started using this as I also play Reptile and love the 3 2 invisibility string, this works in a very similar way, it gives me some mind games to play with that alot of opponents don't anticipate when playing against Sektor.

I don't have a video card so can't give you any match scenarios but so far it's been pretty successful.

Feedback appreciated.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
your intentions are good, but you could easily be punished for doing that, sektor can be hit out of that before the rocket even leaves his chest, even on hit, it will work against someone who doesnt know the matchup, or someone who might be under pressure with low health etc, but if you get the 12 on hit you may as well just go into 12b1 and just combo him and end with upmissile pressure.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
Of course, this is primarily a pressure string. I'd expect the 1,2 Upmissile to be blocked allowing for a follow up option. The point is anyone who knows Sektor will know most players will go for 1 2 b1 full combo so they probably wouldn't let go of block after the 2 allowing you to Upmissile. I'll use 1 2 b1 as a punisher always. This is not by any means a punishing string!

That sounds like something that would only work on a real tepid opponent or someone who knows nothing about Sektor. A lot of characters can do real bad things to Sektor in that situation.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
I'm still not seeing how this is more risky than ending a combo with upmissile when your opponent can stuff you with a wakeup....

The only way you can eat a combo during the upmissile up close after a 1 2 if if they cross you over I assume (this hasn't happened yet, maybe they'd get hit too?) or if they have a teleport starter, otherwise the missile will interrupt a string. I wouldn't use this on Sonya, Mileena, Kung, Kabal or Raiden but this is pretty good for the A tier characters and below. Even in the corner, ending with upmissile seems so risky to me. Players like Sub, NW, Cyrax etc who you want to keep in the corner will get out of an upmissile trap easily.

I've been using 1 2 upmissile, crossover 1 2 upmissile, crossover 1 2 b1 full combo to good effect in ranked games against some decent players. Will try and post footage soon. I have been hit by the Reptile dash (I was stupid to use this against Reptile) but that's so far been the only punish I've taken from this.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
This comes to paper vs reality i think, this strategy is good in practice but punishable in theory.

Using 12b1 and 12 up missile is a mixed ender to the string which no matter how jedi your opponents are, you probably wont get punished every time for it, but in this case i think the risk outweighs the reward when you can get hit out of your upmissile, thus you lose the pressure that you intended to create.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I've been using 1 2 upmissile, crossover 1 2 upmissile, crossover 1 2 b1 full combo to good effect in ranked games against some decent players. Will try and post footage soon. I have been hit by the Reptile dash (I was stupid to use this against Reptile) but that's so far been the only punish I've taken from this.
Unfortunately, up missile is just so slow...if people aren't punishing you for it it merely means that they have bad reactions and aren't familiar with the character. Tournament level players will hurt you big time for attempting to use an up missile up close.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
.... but a tournament player would punish the 3 2 invisibility string that Reptile players use (myself included)

True, I never see Chris G or THTB using it at tournament level but it's still widely regarded as one of his best mixup options.

I'm also genuinely struggling to understand why players would end a combo with upmissile. You're almost certainly eating a wakeup, I haven't seen this done in tournament play either. I guess I'm too defensive by ending with 1 2 flamethrower but wakeups are dangerous realities post patch. It seems anybody except Sektor can escape pressure.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I'm also genuinely struggling to understand why players would end a combo with upmissile. You're almost certainly eating a wakeup, I haven't seen this done in tournament play either. I guess I'm too defensive by ending with 1 2 flamethrower but wakeups are dangerous realities post patch. It seems anybody except Sektor can escape pressure.
It's character specific, but yeah, nearly everyone's invincible in their starting frames except Sektor since his specials are slow as molasses and punishable. I feel like when I'm knocked down with him that I'm just done. I generally prefer to end everything in flamethrower myself and just play him as aggressively as possible.

The 12>Up Missile ender is pretty much safe, save for a few characters (and then it's a matter of knowing your match-ups). Yeah, most aren't going to actually get hit by the Up Missile, but it forces them to do something. They either have to do a wake-up (which you can probably punish or may use meter for armor/safety), roll (which creates space which is beneficial for Sektor), block (which opens them up for a Stance 50/50), or jump (which you can hit with a 1/b1). The point is that you are forcing them to do something. You may not even get any damage off of it, but they were still playing your game.

ryublaze

Noob
.... but a tournament player would punish the 3 2 invisibility string that Reptile players use (myself included)

True, I never see Chris G or THTB using it at tournament level but it's still widely regarded as one of his best mixup options.

What RomeoBravoDelta said. You can block right away after ending with 1, Up Missile. It doesn't matter if the missile hits. For most wake-ups if you blocked them then you're able to punish. If you want to make sure that the missile hits, you can end with Homing Missile. If the opponent blocks the Up Missile then that missile damage adds to your previous combo and you get free pressure. It's a gamble, but the reward is higher than the risk in my opinion.

Ending with B2, Flame Burner does more damage than 1, 2, Flame Burner.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
Ending with B2, Flame Burner does more damage than 1, 2, Flame Burner.
Oh yeah I know, but it leaves the opponent further away from you, which is worth the 1% less in my opinion, it gives me a safer second Flame Burner to follow up with.