What's new

UMK3 to be included with MK:A Premium Edition

G

Midway Announced today that Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 will be included in the Mortal Kombat: Armageddon Premium Edition scheduled to be released on October 9th, 2006 for PlayStation 2. It is also scheduled to be released for the Nintendo Wii in Q1 2007. Thanks to Dave101 for posting the news here!

Click here to view the entire press release from Midway's web site.

This is more great news for fans of Mortal Kombat. With Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 coming soon to Xbox Live Arcade, this could help to build the movement to bring back high level, competitive MK gameplay.

Now that we know this, we're on to the next big questions. Will there be netplay? What version of UMK3 are they using? Rev 1.2? Wavenet?

FIRST!

Man, that was tough. Anyway, a little 'Thanks to dave101' comment in there woulda been nice, but it's okay I guess... :cry:

I doubt they will make it online for how little more they are charging for this premium pack compared to the original. Whatever it is, I think it will be the same one ported to xbox live arcade. Killing two birds with one stone is pretty common is business these days. So we can get to know this version better in time for XBLA!!!!!

How about a 'lock' or something on this topic since it's official here?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Awesome. I really hope it's online...a Wavenet version would be the best, but 1.2 is nice too.

Dave, let's not do the "first" thing here ok?

Wow, how embarassing. This whole time I thought that's where you got it from. You can change the story back.

Konqrr said:
Dave, let's not do the "first" thing here ok?
Haha, it was meant to be a joke. Don't worry about it anymore.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
IMHO, it would still even be pointless to put UMK3 on if it doesn't have netplay. I mean, yeah it would be great to have a perfect home port early, but regardless, netplay is the only way it's going to be recognized. Existing is not enough.

krsx

Noob
Judging by the press release, I'd guess there isn't going to be any netplay, I mean - I'd think they'd announce a feature that important.

If no netplay, then I'd prefer them to do what dreemer suggested somewhere about porting the PC MKT - which has built in netplay.
Just curious, would wavenet have similarly built in netplay?
Wavenet version with netplay would be awesome.

I kinda see them not putting netplay though, cus ppl like me will now buy the premium version anyways, and ppl who woulda bought the xbox360 version just for the netplay might not if the PS2 version has it. whereas they might buy both if one has it, and the other doesn't.

dreemernj

Ambassador
krsx said:
Judging by the press release, I'd guess there isn't going to be any netplay, I mean - I'd think they'd announce a feature that important.

If no netplay, then I'd prefer them to do what dreemer suggested somewhere about porting the PC MKT - which has built in netplay.
Just curious, would wavenet have similarly built in netplay?
Wavenet version with netplay would be awesome.

I kinda see them not putting netplay though, cus ppl like me will now buy the premium version anyways, and ppl who woulda bought the xbox360 version just for the netplay might not if the PS2 version has it. whereas they might buy both if one has it, and the other doesn't.
I kind of wonder if using the Wavenet version would be easier or harder. The wavenet version itself didn't handle the networking side of it. It was basically given the network input by a secondary computer inside the cabinet. The secondary computer was some sort of embedded 386 system that translated everything back and forth from the game to the network.

With the PC version of MKT, it seems like the networked aspect of it is already included in the code for the game. That and I would imagine the source code for that is more easily ported than the source for the arcade machine itself, since it looks like the same code was ported between PC, Saturn and PSX.

Here's the boxshots, so you know what to look for I guss.

original

Others:

EDIT: I never stopped to think of the impact this will have, this could mean hundreds more noobz on XBLA!! :twisted:
Honestly, this could increase the number of people interested in UMK3. That benifits everyone. It also will most likely be the beta version for what's going on XBLA so they can work out all the reported problems and what-not.

Br0ken

Noob
Question is, if they are putting umk3 on mka, which idk why they are,Is umk3 still gonna have its own release?I hope they didnt just put umk3 on mka for the intention of not making it a game itself.That would be lame as fuck. :shock:

If your talking about umk3 on xbox live arcade, I'm sure that release will still happen. There's 2 reasons for putting umk3 in armageddon. It's most likely a direct port of what's being worked on for Xbox 360. This way, any issues it has can be worked on for the final release on LIVE. The other reason is to follow the pattern:

Deception premium pack - MK1
Shaolin Monks - MKII
Armageddon premium edition - UMK3

At this rate, MK8 (the next mortal kombat) will probably have Deadly Alliance in it.

EnterTheGecko

RS 3+4, +4 bitches!
Like to say this is a very nice site. Netplay; or not! I look foward to playin UMK3 this time around. I am trying to figure out how to get MAME to run the game as close to the actual speed the arcade version was ment to be. I have a pos computer right now but Im still trying out differnt settings.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Its kind of funny how difficult UMK3 can be for computers to emulate. I think it will definately be a good thing that UMK3 is coming out because it will continue to expose more new players to the game. Especially considering how many people do not have 360.

But it will only really work if people that play it and like it learn there are tournies and other events that they can go to.

UMK 3 PS2/Xbox Live 360

I think it is great that UMK 3 is going to be included in the PS2 premium edition of the game but what worries me is the company, Digital Eclipse. I don't know if it is set in stone that they are the ones that are going to be doing this porting but if they are, then you know what "Arcade perfect" means to them.

Remember the MAT 2 versions of MK 2 and MK3? Not saying that glitchy shadows and missing sound effects is the end of the world but when someone says something is arcade perfect, I am definitely going to hold them to it.

I can't wait to see UMK 3 on Xbox live. Its been a long time coming. I think its great that its going to attract a whole new crowd. I just think that some of the younger gamers that didn't play the game the first time are going to be the ones to disconnect and cry about when they are getting beat. I know I won't have a problem with that while playing any of you but I am just thinking of Street Fighter on LIVE right now. It should definitely be interesting and I can't wait to play it on live.

EnterTheGecko

RS 3+4, +4 bitches!
dreemernj said:
Its kind of funny how difficult UMK3 can be for computers to emulate. I think it will definately be a good thing that UMK3 is coming out because it will continue to expose more new players to the game. Especially considering how many people do not have 360.

But it will only really work if people that play it and like it learn there are tournies and other events that they can go to.

Well what would be the ideal computer to have MAME run on? Ive been wondering that for some reason. My computer right now is very slow and not good at all for gaming. I will be looking to get a new custom built PC later in the year; if everything works right.

Speaking of exposure. UMK3 was the reason I got the Saturn back in 1996. I would play for hours on end. Of course I didnt know all about the stuff in UMK3 now way back then. Those vids have been very tantilizing and informative. I would love to participate in tournies and other online events. Ill just have to wait and see.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
the ideal processor speed for just about any computer with random specs otherwise would be about 1.8 gHz. It SHOULD be able to run on something more like 700 mHz but Mame doesn't have enough optimized versions, nor do they care enough.

EnterTheGecko

RS 3+4, +4 bitches!
Thats very unfortunate. But Ill be getting something that I want very soon. Im not sure what that is yet. I leaning towards a 360 more and more everyday.

I wonder if playing on the new consoles will give this game a speed increase like MK2 had on the newer systems. And if it doesnt have Net play, who cares?? Least we have it at home for people who cant afford 360s yet.

EnterTheGecko

RS 3+4, +4 bitches!
A friend of mine just got himself a new computer with a 2.4ghz processer and I was able to MAME on it. It works like a charm. He'll have internet this Friday. I would like to get some games with some of you guys and maybe some advice too. My MAME tag is GLACIUSIIX.

2.4 GigaHertz is plenty. That would actually be considered one of the best while MAME was being developed.

What is a MAME tag?

i guess nobody has realized but it said an arcade perfect version of UMK3 for PS2 not for the 360 this could mean a later release date for XBLA UMK3 not at any point in that whole press release did it say anything about UMK3 for xbox 360

i also heard that UMK3 will be 800 gamerpoints and also be online with many types of online rankings i got this information from www.gamedaily.com

gamedaily.com said:
At the very least, Midway isn't pulling a Capcom on us by giving us Mortal Kombat 3 instead of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. The company will be releasing UMK3 later this year with online multiplayer. That's outstanding, I applaud you Midway. But that doesn't mean we don't want Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat II. The first three MK titles are all completely different, so it's not like Capcom giving us Hyper Fighting instead of Super Turbo. If UMK3 sells well (which I'm sure it will), you need to hook up some MK and MK2.

Br0ken

Noob
To be honest I'm getting tired of waiting.....if it isnt released by november then there;s no telling when itll be released or if it will be released...