What's new

umk3 SNES speedrun :shock:

The video is nice to watch as a demonstration what is possible in theory, but as the descriptions say:
"This is an emulator played speedrun which takes advantage of slowdowns and rerecording."
It has completly nothing to do with a real superplay or a real speedrun.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
SNES Emulation of UMK3 sucks, it's better than the speed run's representation, but still not great.

lol dave101 youre probably right. But how interesting would a speedrun be without flashy combos,glitches and flawless victories? I mean on high diffculty and tower the cpu is a bitch.

then again weve seen the shock vs endurance clips, he destroyed the AI :lol:

dreemernj

Ambassador
This time could be beat, even without machine assistance. The first match he does a 32% damage combo with Reptile that is just too long.

A speedrun full of perfect placements of Sheeva combos would probably own this.

dreemernj said:
This time could be beat, even without machine assistance. The first match he does a 32% damage combo with Reptile that is just too long.

A speedrun full of perfect placements of Sheeva combos would probably own this.
but would that be fun to watch?

i'm sorry i don't find this video fun to watch at all. I would rather watch the 5 hours of OoT and the 7 hours of WW which was great if i could add

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Speed runs don't have to be fun, or be flawless victories or anything, it's just getting the biggest damage in the least amount of time, which even if taking a few hits might still set up a bigger combo than you could get playing around trying for a flawless. I could probably do a good run with Ermac in UMK3 using blockable but comboable juggles but I can't promise flawlesses everytime. The biggest problem is the first character on Double Master. They play so unorthodox that there's no surefire way to beat them because you never know what they will or won't block, if they'll throw, if they'll out combo. It's actually easier to beat the more skilled CPU.

ded

Elder God
lol yeah! the first opp is so unpredictable, if its kitana and there is no kitana in triple endurance good speedrun will be with lao

dreemernj

Ambassador
People haven't tried to make good speed runs because of sites like Speedruns.net. The site is awful. They only want speed runs done in emulators using slowdown, savestate whoring, perfect play and all that. They tell people interested in doing speed runs that skill in the game is not necessary, and that patience is much more important.

And in the end you get videos like this. Where the first round is over with 86 seconds left. A sloppy round against the computer where you aren't even trying to kill them that fast is probably going to be about the same speed.

The goal of speedruns.net is to give people that are bad at games a way to put out a video demonstrating themselves playing it still.

I'm not saying that is true of everyone with a video on speedruns.net, but it is definately what speedruns.net is about. And anybody good at a game that doesn't want their skills to be watered down and put on display next to mediocre players shouldn't be submitting to that site.

Someone here should make a good one. Maybe I'll give it a shot. We could try doing it for all the games and maybe start a trend of showing legit speedruns where people actually play the game, not the ultra-fabricated, anybody-with-too-much-time-on-their-hands speedruns that speedruns.net promotes.

A real time, non-machine assisted speed run in the game that obliterates their time would be a very fun video indeed.

I tried a speedrun at MK2 but chanceld it because its simply too boring to watch.

12 fights doing the same stuff is simply not fun to watch.
So for a true "speedrun" the MK games are really not a good choice in my opinion, but that's the chase for most of VS fighting games.

dreemernj

Ambassador
That's true. I had an insane speed run for Tekken 2 for PSX back in the day because there was a combo the computer never ever blocked. I believe it was a kick combo with Lei. But man was it boring to watch.

FYI they have a competition for MKM on speedruns.net with a Wii game as the prize, but submissions are due by the Jan 10, so that doesn't leave a whole lot of time to do it.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I am the king of Tekken speedruns (pardon the pun).

I have done close to a minute with Lee in Tekken 2 (Lei did not appear until T3).

One day I will capture my runs and upload them.

EDIT: GoDaddy fucking blows...I kept trying to post this and got an error each time. Gave up and went back to refresh the page to see if, perhaps, my post got entered...2 minutes to refresh later, there are SEVEN FUCKING POSTS of this. @&!#@!&#&@!& I hate GoDaddy.

I Saw Elderscrolls 3 Morrowind Beat in 12 Minutes. It was INSANE! This is a game you could put 500 hours in and Still not beat it.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Konqrr said:
I am the king of Tekken speedruns (pardon the pun).

I have done close to a minute with Lee in Tekken 2 (Lei did not appear until T3).

One day I will capture my runs and upload them.

EDIT: GoDaddy fucking blows...I kept trying to post this and got an error each time. Gave up and went back to refresh the page to see if, perhaps, my post got entered...2 minutes to refresh later, there are SEVEN FUCKING POSTS of this. @&!#@!&#&@!& I hate GoDaddy.
Actually Lei was in Tekken 2. And I guess I wasn't the only one that figured out he was good at speed runs. I went to gamefaqs.com and they have Lei vs CPU FAQs just describing how to very easily and quickly beat each CPU character with him. Guess a lot of noobs traveled that same path.