What's new

UMK3 on PS1?

Tim Static

Adminerator
It nevered occured to me until this morning that there isnt a UMK3 for the PS1, even though MK3 and later on MKT was released on PS1. Anybody know why? (and ys I know the SE of MK:A for the PS2 had UMK3 on it, and it was a terrible port, yadda, yadda, yadda)

I done know if I'm missing something here, but I've also been up sionce 10pm last night (and its 1:30pm now)

<---sleeeeeeeeepy.

McCarron

Noob
I believe because the next-gen consoles (PS, N64) got MKT while the older consoles got UMK3 (SNES, Genesis). Saturn got best of both worlds, UMK3 and MKT. Too bad I didn't play the Saturn versions until this year after I picked up a Saturn for $12 and then bought the MK games for it off of eBay. I just wish the ports took advantage of the RAM cart for the Saturn to ease load times like the SF games of the time did.

dreemernj

Ambassador
I remember back when MK3 and UMK3 were new reading that Sega bought exclusivity rights to UMK3 for the 5th generation consoles. The version for the Saturn is identical to MK3 for the PSX and Windows (but not DOS ;-)) with the Ultimate content added on haphazardly. Gravity is wrong, move properties are removed, Noob Saibot is an all black Kano. Overall it's quite messy.

And then they ended up releasing MKT for Saturn but it released late and was a port of a buggy version of MKT for PSX/PC.

Its not too surprising to me that they didnt make use of the RAM carts. If they wanted to they could have made a beastly Saturn port of either game. But, probably to cut costs and because of the abysmal sales of Saturn in the US (and of MK games in Japan), they just did direct ports of existing code. And porting games from PSX to Saturn was almost always ugly (Destruction Derby, Wipe Out, etc).

Just imagine how bad the Capcom fighters would have been if they did a direct port of PSX games to Saturn witht hem :lol:

McCarron

Noob
dreemernj said:
I remember back when MK3 and UMK3 were new reading that Sega bought exclusivity rights to UMK3 for the 5th generation consoles. The version for the Saturn is identical to MK3 for the PSX and Windows (but not DOS ;-)) with the Ultimate content added on haphazardly. Gravity is wrong, move properties are removed, Noob Saibot is an all black Kano. Overall it's quite messy.

And then they ended up releasing MKT for Saturn but it released late and was a port of a buggy version of MKT for PSX/PC.
That's funny, I own them and haven't even played them yet. I played MK2 on it as well, but not for long. No I'm going to play them this weekend.