What's new

UMK3 mini tutorial video (runjabs)

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
I am doing some mini tutorial videos and I wanted to share with you guys. Hope anyone finds it helpful/useful

This one is for runjabs and I wanted to do it focusing on theory for someone who maybe hasn't gotten into the game yet. In other words, someone without experience.

Anyway, here it is

My next videos will be antirunjabs, kara jabbing and defense jabbing (its better that everyone gets exposed to that so no one "fears" them anymore jeje IMO).

You guys should check out Hanzo's tutorials. They're great and they go right to the action. I saw a thread over at umk.com with those videos. Great stuff

Eternal

Noob
This is really useful info but you focus only on run jabs using run, isn't run jabbing with run inferior to run jabs with block? You are wide open for attack using run right? Kara run jab with BLOCK beats kara run jab with RUN and also beats all other attacks on contact because kara run jab with BLOCK has auto block....

I see at the end of the video you add some text about kara run jab with block and say you'll talk about it in the next video but do you think even showing the inferior run jabs with run used as cancel will just confuse and mislead a new comers?

I'm looking forward to your other tutorials, they sound very interesting.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
Being a very new UMK3 player (started played 3 days ago) I find this tutorial very helpful. I had no idea how to do or what run jabs were but know it's more than clear. Thanks so much!

PS: Do you have any other helpful UMK3 videos or can you link me to some? :)

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Guys, you have no idea how glad I am that you found the video useful/helpful. It's nice to see your work helps someone :)

Stay tuned 'cause I'm definitely going to release some more, always in this basic-theory way.

I have done some more videos and although I don't think you will find those as useful as this, here they are (one is some basic attacks tutorial + 2 tips and the other video is for doing certain Ermac combo):

Human Smoke basic attacks tutorial ( it can show you his moves, some range of his attacks, very very basic stuff)

Ermac combo tutorial (so you can hit with his knee combo after you connect a telekinetic slam)

Thx again for watching, folks

NoDoubt

nasty
This is really useful info but you focus only on run jabs using run, isn't run jabbing with run inferior to run jabs with block? You are wide open for attack using run right? Kara run jab with BLOCK beats kara run jab with RUN and also beats all other attacks on contact because kara run jab with BLOCK has auto block....

I see at the end of the video you add some text about kara run jab with block and say you'll talk about it in the next video but do you think even showing the inferior run jabs with run used as cancel will just confuse and mislead a new comers?

I'm looking forward to your other tutorials, they sound very interesting.
if your really good at run jabbing/jab mix-ups/reading your opponent, kara-jabbing a rushdown 100% isnt necessary at all. Its all about opening up your opponent.

If you need to cancel every single jab with block while run-jabbing close up, it prob means your not doing those patterns/reading your opponent as well and youd prob keep getting chipped out up-close combat alot.

Eternal

Noob
kara-jabbing a rushdown 100% isnt necessary at all. Its all about opening up your opponent.
When you say it isn't 100% necessary to kara-jab during a rushdown do you mean the rusher should add combos to the rush mixed with jabs, other attacks like knees, a side kick, no kara jabs just combos, can you give a example?

If you need to cancel every single jab with block while run-jabbing close up, it prob means your not doing those patterns/reading your opponent as well and youd prob keep getting chipped out up-close combat alot.
So add kara jabs that are canceled with run as well as jabs canceled with block? Can you give an example? Thx

NoDoubt

nasty
I mean like once your on your opponent while hes blocking, and your doing a run-jab string on him, if your good at reading him and mixing it up, you dont need to cancel every jab with block while your doing it.

a run jab duration with kara/glitch is this: run, lp+block, run, lp+block, run, lp+block, run, lp+block.

run jabs without kara's: run, lp, run, lp, run, lp. Or whatever your pattern is. run, lp lp, run, lp lp, run, lp, run, lp, run, lp lp

^ - im just sayin once u get good with run jabs and reading ur opponent, you can do just the jabs and logically know the right mix ups/openings while doing them. If your playing someone much better than you, you might find yourself kara jabbing the whole match cuz ur unsure of any openings you can get lol. More you do it tho, more natural it feels. Just all practice like everything else in the world

In the corner, I like adding the block cancels cuz I wont get interrupted with a sweep, or uppercut. Ill just block it and get chip, but the block adds collision so if I kara jab ona corner trap, it smacks my opponent hard if he lets go of block and I can cancel into a combo easier.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Jabs with block aren't necessary if you have trouble with the timing and the rhythm. If you nail them down properly and get used to them, I don't really see a reason to pressure without them. The best in the business (MarvinRasta) not only does every single LP with BLK but also, he holds D+B while he is in LP animation. When I heard that, I could not believe it but at NEC I saw it with my own eyes. He was doing it on stick and mostly on double jabs patterns.

I think the mix ups and the openings could still be spotted even with that technique.

Jabs with block aren't necessary if you have trouble with the timing and the rhythm. If you nail them down properly and get used to them, I don't really see a reason to pressure without them. The best in the business (MarvinRasta) not only does every single LP with BLK but also, he holds D+B while he is in LP animation. When I heard that, I could not believe it but at NEC I saw it with my own eyes. He was doing it on stick and mostly on double jabs patterns.

I think the mix ups and the openings could still be spotted even with that technique.
Dang that's some skills lol. I have trouble getting a good pattern going with "true" kara jabs because hitting the D+B every time can be difficult. I find myself just cancelling with block and not always pressing D+B. It's a little easier and it still is very useful as people tend to try to get out of run jabs with an uppercut and it will auto block it or any other moves that aren't low hitting, and it's not hard for me to block sweeps on reaction. The real problem with it is counter throws and ducking lk's.

No doubt is right about he mix ups being very important though. That's where you get the real damage from, you just gotta keep em guessing. Kara jabs are still ideal though in any situation.

Great video ninja grinder I wish I had found it 2 years ago when I first started playing, would have been very helpful.