What's new

UMK3 from MKA Premium Pack: Initial Reaction

G

Shock has taken a quick look at Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for the PS2 (from MKA Premium Edition) and has some initial feelings on it:

"Its good. It's a B+ in the most anal sense. There are minor loading times which I expected and don't bother me much at all, it takes about 3 seconds to load a match sometimes, but usually next to nothing. There are music issues when going through levels. The music hangs during the animation and goes into the next one, a bit odd and unlike the arcade which stops, the animation through the levels happens then the next one starts as they get up. During finish him, after it's over the music bleeds through again, and there is also some music bleeding between rounds. It's a little weird and I don't even know why it would happen.

"The most noticable thing however, is the slow down at times. I was performing Reptile's juggle dashing combo on Jade and there was a noticable stutter in the animation and sluggishness."

So the initial reactions are good, although it seems like some of the problems encountered with MK3 on the PS2 are still shining through. More to come as we really tear into it!

dreemernj

Ambassador
From Shock's original post, he was also wondering:

"Can anyone figure out how to change controls for UMK3? I'm using a stick and the config is OK/identical to MKT, but I would rather set it up like UMK3. And also, changing into Human Smoke looks weird.

I hope UKKs stay unlocked for those of you who plan on playing this a lot."

dreemernj said:
changing into Human Smoke looks weird. "

What do u mean it looks wierd? if anyone can post a short video that would be great....i have a video capture card but i don't have ps2 so i can't go get the game to do this since it comes out on xbox on the 16th which is lame as hell

edit:is UMK3 on the same disc as MK:A?

I was going to comment on this. The most noticble thing was infact the music.

I guess UMK3 on the MKA disc is okay gameplay wise, but the features suck. There is no random select and no way to change the controls. The psx trilogy setup is good but I can't have run as any of my left triggers. I need run as a right trigger. I couldn't get more than 2 cycles of kung lao corner inf because it's so hard to do the combination with the run button on the same side as the directions. Unfortunately it does not save the unlocked characters. This is not for 'tournament play' simply because of the demanding way you must play.

UMK3 is on the regular armageddon disc but only comes with the Premium edition. I don't know why they just didn't use the regular disc for armageddon and put UMK3 on the bonus disk.

EDIT: here's that short clip of the human smoke transformation. It looks like there is just a premature flame.
http://uploadfile.putfile.com/videos/28220240541.wmv

BustaUppa

Westbury Nathan's 4 Life
Shock, would you consider this version worthy of being used at NEC? Or would... another platform still be preferable?

When do you unlock the hiddens, the animation where it changes backgrounds really fast is very poorly displayed. Some times it only loads certain layes of the backgrounds and it also goes very slow. It goes through some of them at nearly a second each.

I've seen many disapeering frames. Both the character and sometimes their projectile. The game just doesn't display your characters frame for a couple of mila-seconds, quite annoying.

I'm starting to notice the speed changes. I shot a spear as robo-smoke in the corner and the game went to like 30 FPS.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I would say they dropped the ball, but it seems like they just deflated it with a pin.

do u guys think it is possible they had to cut some of the stuff out of UMK3 because they lacked the disc space? somebody with the game and a dvd drive should check if there is any space left on the disc

ilovepoop said:
ohh my bad somebody told me they were on the same disc i apologize
That someone was me
DAVE101 said:
UMK3 is on the regular armageddon disc but only comes with the Premium edition. I don't know why they just didn't use the regular disc for armageddon and put UMK3 on the bonus disk.
I seriously don't know why they went through programming a whole 'nother disc just for umk3. Still,
2 DVDs = a lot of memory
and umk3 is what, 30 megs?
UMK3 makes 00.3% of it

MikeJonesJaxson

Sai Spam!
Well, I know that Shock gave it a "B+" rating for the first time he played it and what-not.

But what would you think about it now? Is it at least a decent port to play or practice the game on despite it's obvious flaws? The only UMK3 machine around is across the border, and my comp is'nt fast or powerful enough to run Mame (and UMK3 on MAME is a whole other story :( )

SSCable said:
Is it at least a decent port to play or practice the game on despite it's obvious flaws?
I'd say it's acceptable to practice... It's really a big upset that you can't change the controls because it makes a world of a difference for me. I'd still rather practice on Final version Trilogy.

SSCable said:
... and my comp is'nt fast or powerful enough to run Mame (and UMK3 on MAME is a whole other story :( )
What are your specs? I have a 64 MB video card and i can run several versions full screen. (and the card is not even PCI or AGP, it's an 'all in one' thing that can't be replaced, stupid gateway)

DAVE101 said:
[What are your specs? I have a 64 MB video card and i can run several versions full screen. (and the card is not even PCI or AGP, it's an 'all in one' thing that can't be replaced, stupid gateway)
but dave forgets to mention that when playing he also restarts about 10 times in an hour

MikeJonesJaxson

Sai Spam!
What are your specs? I have a 64 MB video card and i can run several versions full screen. (and the card is not even PCI or AGP, it's an 'all in one' thing that can't be replaced, stupid gateway)
Well, I did'nt mean to say powerful. It's pretty much a bare bone computer to be able to use the net, but I've managed to get Kawaks to play on it as well.

But anyways, it's a Pentinum II, with 299 MHz, and 192 mb or RAM.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Yeah, that processor isn't going to swing UMK3 very well. My P3 450 had problems running it, and P3 733 play it okay offline but had a ton of trouble online.

dreemernj

Ambassador
I've heard people describe speed changes throughout the game in general, not juston Shao Kahn. I doubt its your PS2.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
i was playing a bit and noticed Human Smoke disappears quite often on random frames....Nightwolf disappeared for a frame as he fell at Fatality earlier, and super slowdown when two smoking characters are on screen, ie: lots of slow when Jade does he dash kick vs say, Human Smoke.

Br0ken

Noob
Only things I noticed was the random dissapearing of characters,smokes human smoke transform at the beggining of the match(double flame),sluggish at times especially fighting kahn and motaro,I was fighting motaro and when I was Everytime I jump in launch a combo it would slow down drastically....causing me to mess up sometimes on the combo itself...Lets just hope the 360 version isnt sluggish like this.