What's new

UMK3 Differences

Kaiba

Noob
I just picked up UMK3 for the Saturn(collection purposes mostly) and curious about how much different it is than the arcade/xbla version. I've heard the gameplay is just about the same.

dreemernj

Ambassador
No. The gameplay is a mess for Saturn. Lower gravity and crazy changes in move restrictions. The game looks like it was developed with the same base code as MK3 for Windows and MK3 for PSX. The quality of the graphics and all the menus are identical.

UMK3 for Saturn has the new characters and levels and stuff added onto MK3 for PSX. But the changes to the gameplay were of the game-breaking type. I remember when I tried it getting standing HKs in the corner and getting jump kicks to juggle after them in the corner easily. Also there are just complete changes to the properties of some moves.

Comboing is easier, when move properties change they seem to be in favor of breaking the game. Overall, its an unfortunate hack of the game.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Kaiba said:
Oh I see. Is it still better than the other home ports, Genesis and SNES?
Yeah, I'd say it's still the best home version of UMk3 other than 360.

But, even when nothing else was available, I had a Twisted Sister attitude towards this game:

"If that's your best, your best won't do"

Playing a non-buggy version of MKT for PSX or PC only using characters and moves from UMK3 is a better reproduction of UMK3 for the arcade than this is.

Kaiba

Noob
I FINALLY got a chance to load it up and play (I had been waiting on a replacement AV cable). I can tell the differences. I still think its a good version to play for fun though. The only thing that I disliked was the loading time.