What's new

UFGT9 Update: No Lobo Bro

Tim Static

Adminerator
From our friend, UFGT Tournament Organizer and Divekick creator Keits, is news that Lobo will not be playable at UFGT9 in several weeks. Taken from the UFGT site:

Keits said:
DLC character Lobo is being released tomorrow for Injustice, but we’ve decided that at UFGT9, its just too soon after the character’s launch and we will not be allowing him in tournament play at the event. This isn’t a concern about players adapting in two weeks so much as it is about the potential of an untested (at least in the wild) character that could potentially be too powerful or break the game in some way and sour the tournament experience for everyone. We will download the patch releasing on the same date, however, for any of its balance fixes.
Make sure you check out the UFGT9 thread for all things UFGT9!!

ufgt9_logo.jpg

Thanks to VGB Joe Kerr & TRMK for the heads up!!

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Wow, i was going to run Lobo through his paces tomorrow. Guess I'll be sticking with Deathstroke.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Wow, i was going to run Lobo through his paces tomorrow. Guess I'll be sticking with Deathstroke.
Yea I saw this earlier on TRMK's FB page before VGB Joe Kerr reminded me, I talked to @mr mileena about it this. While this is normal practice for a tourney to ban a new character, I agree with Joe 2+ weeks is plenty of time. But wanted to make sure the word was put out there before people go crazy with him.

Obanye

Obanye - Bay Area - PSN
4 weeks is enough time to learn 24 match ups half that time isn't enough to learn 1 more? Also we don't even know what's in the balance changes yet. Poor decision if you ask me but its okay. Lobo will shine soon enough.

MorbidAltruism

Get over here!
I guess... Lobo is too much for them. A guy who killed his entire race for a science project, banned from tournaments? Not surprised. We don't want to give the Lobo players a free victory. That wouldn't be fair. :joker:

I don't buy the explanation as to why Lobo is banned.

This isn’t a concern about players adapting in two weeks so much as it is about the potential of an untested (at least in the wild) character that could potentially be too powerful or break the game in some way and sour the tournament experience for everyone.
According to TO it isn't that players have to learn the match up, but that Lobo could be Akuma broken or glitches the game so they ban him right out of the gate the day before he comes out. I call bullshit.

Lobo is a part of the game now and should NEVER be banned until he is proven broken. Doing so before the facts are known is terribly scrubby thinking. The kind of thinking that gets people put on blast here.

If the quote was true they would have tested him today before coming to a final decision. This has to be a money issue but it pisses me off when people are dishonest about it.

Sami

Noob
If the quote was true they would have tested him today before coming to a final decision. This has to be a money issue but it pisses me off when people are dishonest about it.
I can buy 2000 MS points (gets me 5 Lobos) for £15 (approx $23 US). That's less than $5 per box. It probably isn't a money issue.

And lol thinking a day is long enough to fully test a character.

And lol thinking a day is long enough to fully test a character.
Long enough to determine if he is truly game breaking, as in shutting down the console and making the game utterly unplayable.

Innocent until proven guilty in America. If 2 weeks till tourney isn't the reason for the ban then it is completely unwarranted.

Sami

Noob
Innocent until proven guilty remember?
Firstly, game breaking doesn't equate to actually stopping the game from working.

Secondly, the last time I checked, imaginary characters in video games don't have rights.

Finally, banning recently released DLC is nothing new. Hell, all MK9 DLC was banned for its first appearance at Evo.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Skarlet was banned from the first tournament after she was released in MK9, and good thing - she was absolutely broken prepatch and it probably would've been a stupid tournament with her in it.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Keep in mind that all DLC for MK9 were banned at EVO 2011 so this shouldn't come as a shock to most of you.