What's new

TYM Upgrades Poll

Which TYM Upgrades route should we take

• Discourse (chat features, better mobile experience, easier to theme and customize, etc)

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Upgrade everything we currently have, including getting Twitch streams re-enabled, media galley, etc

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
All,

As we've been discussing forum upgrades as well as transparency of the IT work, here we go. Please vote on the direction you feel we should go.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
I think a lot of what would improve this site would unfortunately not be easily tech enabled - this site thrives when it is the locus of info for MK (and Injustice), we need stuff like an up-to-date calendar displaying all offline + online competitive events + where to view, and discussion threads for those events or pro series as a whole.

Some way to drive more discussion + traffic to the character forums, hot topics like current meta discussion, etc.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
As much as I prefer the forum format, I had to objectively vote discord because that's where everything has transitioned to nowadays. It would probably be a lot easier to grow the community through discord with matchmaking sub threads, tournament sub threads, self-promotion threads, tech threads, etc and more online users from other areas I feel are more open to using or integrating with discord than they are forums. This is just what has happened over time so I think it makes sense to go that route.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I think a lot of what would improve this site would unfortunately not be easily tech enabled - this site thrives when it is the locus of info for MK (and Injustice), we need stuff like an up-to-date calendar displaying all offline + online competitive events + where to view, and discussion threads for those events or pro series as a whole.

Some way to drive more discussion + traffic to the character forums, hot topics like current meta discussion, etc.
That would be pretty sick. A dynamic calendar on the front page that lists upcoming offline and online events. With links to signups, where to watch and Matcherinos

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
As much as I prefer the forum format, I had to objectively vote discord because that's where everything has transitioned to nowadays. It would probably be a lot easier to grow the community through discord with matchmaking sub threads, tournament sub threads, self-promotion threads, tech threads, etc and more online users from other areas I feel are more open to using or integrating with discord than they are forums. This is just what has happened over time so I think it makes sense to go that route.
Discourse, not Discord lol

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
Are people confusing Discourse with Discord or am I missing something?

I'm not familiar with the old platform that TYM runs on, but I am familiar with having to keep old, unsupported systems online and that shit sucks. I'm in favor of moving to Discourse.
Just to clarify

Discourse Discord

I think some are confused and think Discourse and Discord are the same thing. They definitely are not.

View attachment 21958

Yes, we would be moving to Discourse. However, either way, we could have (and I plan on it) having Discord integration.

From an overall community stand point, I am leaving in the direction of staying with Xenforo and updating our current add-ons, some of which aren't currently enabled.

Blakfellow

Dojo Trainee
Honestly besides the events calendar for online and offline events I think tym just needs more users/ better marketing. The mk1 Reddit forums are pretty active but I have noticed there is almost 0 talk about competitive topics. I’m sure 99% of them don’t even know tym exists and would be very interested in joining. If we could just capture 1% of their users that would heavily increase the traffic’s here

Tony at Home

Warrior
For those unfamiliar with Discourse, here's an example of what it looks in a very bare-bones state

My vote would be to move towards Discourse if we can migrate a good deal of things over and I'd be ok with volunteering some time on my weekends and occasional weeknights to help with that effort. I'm pretty experienced in web dev and cloud architecture. Discourse is very customizable, hosting it off even something pricey like Digital Ocean or Fly.io is still probably cheaper than XenForo's hosting costs on top of it's licensing fees- so my gut feeling is although it would be a painful migration it would avoid situations like this in the future.

Getting users over would be a pain, gettings posts/threads/topics over would be easier but would probably look weird at first. I'm not sure Discourse has an inherent concept of user statuses but you could almost certainly rig something like it up by hacking around threads. And it would almost certainly entail having to pay for hosting TYM while paying for "TYM2" staging hosting.

If all that is too much and we couldn't migrate things such that a significant part of TYM history is lost then I'd personally prefer sticking with XenForo.

STORMS

Co-founder
Owner
Administrator
Founder
For those unfamiliar with Discourse, here's an example of what it looks in a very bare-bones state

My vote would be to move towards Discourse if we can migrate a good deal of things over and I'd be ok with volunteering some time on my weekends and occasional weeknights to help with that effort. I'm pretty experienced in web dev and cloud architecture. Discourse is very customizable, hosting it off even something pricey like Digital Ocean or Fly.io is still probably cheaper than XenForo's hosting costs on top of it's licensing fees- so my gut feeling is although it would be a painful migration it would avoid situations like this in the future.

Getting users over would be a pain, gettings posts/threads/topics over would be easier but would probably look weird at first. I'm not sure Discourse has an inherent concept of user statuses but you could almost certainly rig something like it up by hacking around threads. And it would almost certainly entail having to pay for hosting TYM while paying for "TYM2" staging hosting.

If all that is too much and we couldn't migrate things such that a significant part of TYM history is lost then I'd personally prefer sticking with XenForo.
I appreciate the feedback, Tony! It is looking very likely that we will be sticking with our current software, but upgrading everything. I don't have a timeline or anything yet. I'm still waiting to hear back from our Devs.