What's new

TYM Community Tier List - .5s: Yay or Nay?

For .5s or Against?

• Yes

Votes: 37 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
There has been some disagreement with the use of .5s in the community tier list.

Are you guys for or against .5s for numbers?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'm against it. How the hell do you win a .5 round?
It's not so much theoretically winning a half a round, but rather that some matchups are definitely pushing to nearly a higher advantage/disadvantage, but not quite being that next number. That's where the .5s come in, to signal a matchup that's slightly easier/harder than the main number suggests.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Lead Moderator
It's not so much theoretically winning a half a round, but rather that some matchups are definitely pushing to nearly a higher advantage/disadvantage, but not quite being that next number. That's where the .5s come in, to signal a matchup that's slightly easier/harder than the main number suggests.
I just don't get how in 10 matches someone will win 6.5 times out of that 10. Do you know what I mean?

Mr. Mileena

Warrior
One strong 5.5 - 4.5 is sindel vs sonya

If sonya is in, it is hard for sindel, but it is devastating for sonya to get close to sindel.
Her arc kicks, cartwheels can all be baited.
Sindel recovers a lot faster and has time to block sonyas projectile, where sonya cannot. (sonya cannot trade with sindel)

i would say it was a 5-5, but sonya like i said causes trouble up close, but sindel keeps sonya out so well.
i feel it can go either way, but i feel sindel has a slight advantage, especially one that can hold her own upclose.

Mr. Mileena

Warrior
I just don't get how in 10 matches someone will win 6.5 times out of that 10. Do you know what I mean?
so if CD plays Tom brady and CD beats brady 9-1

is the kitana matchup 9-1 kitanas favor?
no, if more than anything, think of it as an average.
you have a 65% chance of winning this matchup, because of the following pros and cons....

now, obviously someone who isnt very good wont apply with, and of course, theres a 35% chance the other can win, but these numbers simply show statistics, it is by no means saying you will lose 100% of the time just because it isnt 5-5

Hitoshura

Head Cage
the whole point of .5 matches imo is just to say "hey this match is kinda of crippling but yet its winnable. More winnable then some of my 4-6 matches yet not even. Hmmmmm 4.5-5.5."

Done

BookBurning

Voidwards
My problem with .5s is that because this is a fighting game, it is no way possible to get that specific. If a match isn't quite a 5-5, yet close but still hard, then it's a 6-4 in my opinion. .5s seem to take into account a random factor which is completely unchartable due to the way fighting games are played.

Playpal

Kombatant
I also don't like .5s in the MU chart. On paper, the difference is marginal. At first look however, that .5 can symbolize a lot. What tiny thing is it that pushes a MU from 5-5 to 5.5 -4.5? What can something so small do to make it a difference to winning a MU?

Decimals just seems like a way to mask indecisiveness. You either win 6 or you win 5. Some can see it as 50 or 60%. It'd take some balls to go from a game of 10 to a percentage of games for our MU chart. But then we'd have even smaller differences, like 50% and 51%.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
.5 is laughable. literally, as in the first time i read one i laughed and shook my head. fucking tier lists god damn.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
THTB
Yes I believe they should be included but ONLY for 5.5-4.5 match ups simply because there are match ups that are TOO close to call but it's the slightest advantage that putting 6-4 so much less winnable where a 5.5-4.5 MU basically says '' you're going down to last round facing this character almost every time''