What's new

Twisted Metal Thoughts?

I must admit I really enjoyed the Twisted Metal demo gameplay-wise but I have a major problem with this new installment, I may not even get it because of the issue I'm about to discuss. The single player mode seems to be atrocious. There are only 4 characters in the "story mode". Needles Kane, Mr.Grimm, Preacher and Dollface. I saw the gamespot video gameplay review and was very disappointed.

Story mode follows these 4 characters specifically. The problem is that with each character, you get to drive any of the vehicles. When I saw Sweet Tooth driving Mr.Grimms motorcycle, roadkills car, and the Meatwagon in the story mode, I was left scratching my head. What made TM2 and black so awesome was the amazing gameplay and unique story to each character and their trademark vehicle. Who can forget Needles Kane in his infamous Sweet Tooth Ice Cream truck!?

I continued to investigate after seeing this blasphemy and found out why. The new Twisted Metal was originally meant to be a multiplayer online game. They then went ahead and tacked on a single player/story mode later on during the project to turn it into a "full game". To make matters worse, the creator, David Jaffe, recently got laid off from the company! The problem here is that this game relies mostly on multiplayer online combat. What if the online isn't good? We're left with a half assed game. Seriously, Mr.Grimm driving Sweet Tooth's truck? Get the fuck outta here! I thought this was the case only in online multiplayer but apparently it applies to the main game.

Why couldn't they make a new installment like black/TM2? A tournament mode where each character has their own unique vehicle and a kick ass story to boot? I'm probably being picky but I loved the TM series and am very put off with the route they took. Thoughts? Opinions?

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
I must admit I really enjoyed the Twisted Metal demo gameplay-wise but I have a major problem with this new installment, I may not even get it because of the issue I'm about to discuss. The single player mode seems to be atrocious. There are only 4 characters in the "story mode". Needles Kane, Mr.Grimm, Preacher and Dollface. I saw the gamespot video gameplay review and was very disappointed.

Story mode follows these 4 characters specifically. The problem is that with each character, you get to drive any of the vehicles. When I saw Sweet Tooth driving Mr.Grimms motorcycle, roadkills car, and the Meatwagon in the story mode, I was left scratching my head. What made TM2 and black so awesome was the amazing gameplay and unique story to each character and their vehicle. Who can forget Needles Kane in his infamous Sweet Tooth Ice Cream truck!?

I continued to investigate after seeing this blasphemy and found out why. The new Twisted Metal was originally meant to be a multiplayer online game. They then went ahead and tacked on a single player/story mode later on during the project to turn it into a "full game". To make matters worse, the creator, David Jaffe, recently got laid off from the company! The problem here is that this game relies mostly on multiplayer online combat. What if the online isn't good? We're left with a half assed game. Seriously, Mr.Grimm driving Sweet Tooth's truck? Get the fuck outta here! I thought this was the case only in online multiplayer but apparently it applies to the main game.

Why couldn't they make a new installment like black/TM2? A tournament mode where each character has their own unique vehicle and a kick ass story to boot? I'm probably being picky but I loved the TM series and am very put off with the route they took. Thoughts? Opinions?

just checked the psn store there and cant find it, whats section it in?

LOL at the COD reference. I'll probably get it just to get access to the Twisted Metal Black download. The game brings a voucher to download TMBlack for free.

Well, I got the game and am very disappointed. To anyone reading this DO NOT BUY THE GAME YET. The games main feature, "the online" is not functioning correctly. Tons of matchmaking errors, random connection drops, and difficult to get into a match because of the infamous "networking error". Allegedly, the developer is working with sony to fix the issues, but every day that passes it gets worse. It's like MK all over again lmao. The single player campaign was tacked on just as I suspected, and the A.I is poorly designed. The A.I only targets you and never shoot at each other, so instead of it feeling like a tournament, it feels like one vs. all. There are only 3 characters in the story mode which sucks. The claim is that they wanted to emphasize a broader story for these 3 characters but the truth is they were running on a tight budget and couldn't follow through with the others. This game has turned out to be one giant clusterfuck!!!

Big Frog

Noob
Absolutely agree, GLm. I was really excited for this game because I loved it back in the day. The demo was honestly better than the actual game. I was insanely disappointed the first night I popped it in which was when it came out. Already planning on taking it back.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
what a shame. huge twisted metal fan here. ps1 only though, tm black was kinda cheao and tacky feeling in my opinion. why is story mode even necessary? just let me ply the maps with my character and give me a cut scene at the end! i dont need a fucking story i got the grim reaper on a harley shooting missiles at an evil clown for fucks sake! givr me 10 - 15 characters, dedicated vehicles, specials, and awesome destuctable environments like TM2.

i simply must check this out for myself but this is sounding worse the more i read. how hard is it to get this near 15 year old formula right? good call on the COD reference too, sadly its the business model devs are turning to, which is why i play fighters almost exclusively - almost.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
This is all what I've been saying all year. (and why I didn't even bother trying the demo, watching new videos, or even consider buying the game)

Clowns vs. Doll Faces??? WTF are Factions doing in TM????
Play as a helicopter? Dumb.
Drivers can change cars? Stupid.
I hear some cars change into Mechs. I don't want to play Transformers, I want to play Twisted Metal.
I don't even like Gundam Wing...so why would I want Mechs in my car fighter?????

TM Black is pretty much the best one.
With a soft spot in my heart for the grittiness that was Twisted Metal 1 with the original live action opening and ending sequences.

Big Frog

Noob
IMO, the demo was pretty fun. Aside from the fact you couldn't play too many vehicles, Meat Wagon was all I needed. The Gourney Bomb was awesome.

Got the game the day it came out, and was all like SMFH when I played it the first night. Online was horrendous, worse than the demo if you ask me. You could only pick like 3 cars, and I was NOT about to play it forever to unlock cars I was already playing in the demo.

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
What a shame. Loved TM2 back in the day. Countless hours playing that one, yes indeed. Had the best demo ever too--had all cars included, even minion was unlockable!

I am disappointed to hear that the uniqueness of each car is gone. That was the whole intrigue of the damn series! Choose a fucking maniac and unload your cool specials on bitches.

What a travesty.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Times are changing and developers have to adjust to the market's tendencies and decisions.
Me, personally, was very sad on the champaign story mode decision, but the "bring it to multiplayer" part was logical and if I can remember correctly, it was playing with my buds the most fun.
At tmalliance.com we've all had a hard time accepting it, but hey, it's Jaffee. He prolly knows what he's doing.

Update: theres a patch coming in this week thats supposed to alleviate the problem. I haven't gone online since the first 2 days lol Been trying to get all gold medals on "Twisted" difficulty to unlock warthog. Another travesty! This Twisted difficulty nonsense is ridiculously hard, borderline impossible. I need one more medal to complete. Can't believe I've put myself through this torture. If I manage to beat that damn carnival of carnage in 14 minutes and I get the hog boss, I wont ever touch SP again.

I like playing online. I play a guy in my town and we never have connection issues.

Now to the negative stuff:

First off, races? RACES?! Suck my dick. It's Twisted Metal, not Gran Turismo. I don't want to race, I want to destroy.

Secondly...three characters? And they change cars? Is this a joke? Could they not think of any stories for any other cars? They could have just reused a bunch of stories if they were that uncreative. Some of those characters are classic. And speaking of classic, I noticed a few character that are missing, one of which I'll get to later. At least I have Darkside.

Third, wtf is this dude doing in my car helping me out? Get out of my car. Sweet Tooth doesn't need a tag team partner. Isn't it a bunch of gangs anyway? Who would ever in their right mind be in a gang with Sweet Tooth? Oh and while we're on the subject of characters, why is Busta Rhymes* Mr. Grimm? He's supposed to be the damned Reaper. The bike looks stupid, too.

Fourth...crap I can't post my fourth complaint without spoiling the game. But when you get to the first boss, you'll know what I'm talking about.

And finally, my biggest complaint: No Minion. What the f'n FUCK?! You're telling me if I beat the game on the hardest difficulty and get all gold medals, I get the punkass diet version of Minion? Piss on Warthog. He's supposed to be a hummer or whatever anyway.

Other than all of that, I do like the combat and I do like the MP (I haven't had any real connection problems as I said). I'm not good at the game at all, though. It took me almost four hours to beat one of the bosses and I'm on normal difficulty.

*In order to avoid any kind of unwarranted controversy, I am posting this note. I was referring to Busta Rhyme's appearance in that one video where he's wearing that weird black light paint and dancing around a fire. That's what Mr. Grimm reminds me of in this.

I like playing online. I play a guy in my town and we never have connection issues.

Now to the negative stuff:

First off, races? RACES?! Suck my dick. It's Twisted Metal, not Gran Turismo. I don't want to race, I want to destroy.

Secondly...three characters? And they change cars? Is this a joke? Could they not think of any stories for any other cars? They could have just reused a bunch of stories if they were that uncreative. Some of those characters are classic. And speaking of classic, I noticed a few character that are missing, one of which I'll get to later. At least I have Darkside.

Third, wtf is this dude doing in my car helping me out? Get out of my car. Sweet Tooth doesn't need a tag team partner. Isn't it a bunch of gangs anyway? Who would ever in their right mind be in a gang with Sweet Tooth? Oh and while we're on the subject of characters, why is Busta Rhymes* Mr. Grimm? He's supposed to be the damned Reaper. The bike looks stupid, too.

Fourth...crap I can't post my fourth complaint without spoiling the game. But when you get to the first boss, you'll know what I'm talking about.

And finally, my biggest complaint: No Minion. What the f'n FUCK?! You're telling me if I beat the game on the hardest difficulty and get all gold medals, I get the punkass diet version of Minion? Piss on Warthog. He's supposed to be a hummer or whatever anyway.

Other than all of that, I do like the combat and I do like the MP (I haven't had any real connection problems as I said). I'm not good at the game at all, though. It took me almost four hours to beat one of the bosses and I'm on normal difficulty.

*In order to avoid any kind of unwarranted controversy, I am posting this note. I was referring to Busta Rhyme's appearance in that one video where he's wearing that weird black light paint and dancing around a fire. That's what Mr. Grimm reminds me of in this.

EPIC post LOL Man, all I can say is don't bother trying to unlock warthog. It doesn't require skill at all, It's all about losing and resetting like a 1000 times before you get lucky. Want to laugh, On Twisted difficulty you don't have checkpoints for the bosses. So if you fight like say, the last boss with sweet tooth, you must win all phases without dying. Imagine you kill one of the monster trucks, then the 2nd part comes where you gotta plant the bomb underneath it. If you die doing that, there is no restarting at that point/phase, you gotta start from the very beginning again! I'm telling you, it's nonsense. If I ever manage to beat the last gold medal, I'll send you my save file LOL.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I want Thumper! I want to burn shit to ashes!
*cool off*
Now, when I saw the first trailer I couldn't understand why there were a bunch of Sweet Tooths shooting MP5's and driving random cars. Later I realized that it was made for online play where you chose from 4 gangs to fight for. I'm down with that... BUT, I'm not good at all with Sweet Tooth driving other's cars. I mean, there could be made some custom cars that all could choose (the copter for example), but why does Sweet Tooth drive Mr. Grimm's bike? And most annoying, what's the reason to choose any of the gangs if they drive the same cars? Of course one may be cooler than other, but where's the uniqueness of the character and his car? For me Twisted Metal was always about the driver being one with the car, doesn't matter that they changed over the series, a car was always associated with a certain driver (man, I miss Mr. Zombie aka Rob Zombie). I guess now it's all about the car, not the driver... I have to say, the game looks fun, the gameplay that represented TM is there, but the stories are totally wrong... Know what I mean?

I want Thumper! I want to burn shit to ashes!
*cool off*
Now, when I saw the first trailer I couldn't understand why there were a bunch of Sweet Tooths shooting MP5's and driving random cars. Later I realized that it was made for online play where you chose from 4 gangs to fight for. I'm down with that... BUT, I'm not good at all with Sweet Tooth driving other's cars. I mean, there could be made some custom cars that all could choose (the copter for example), but why does Sweet Tooth drive Mr. Grimm's bike? And most annoying, what's the reason to choose any of the gangs if they drive the same cars? Of course one may be cooler than other, but where's the uniqueness of the character and his car? For me Twisted Metal was always about the driver being one with the car, doesn't matter that they changed over the series, a car was always associated with a certain driver (man, I miss Mr. Zombie aka Rob Zombie). I guess now it's all about the car, not the driver... I have to say, the game looks fun, the gameplay that represented TM is there, but the stories are totally wrong... Know what I mean?
Exactly my sentiments. The game was rushed and is sloppy, has lots and lots of flaws. It hasn't even been out for 2 weeks and theres been 2 patches already and another one coming. The matchmaking is terrible as is the online. The other sad part about the 4 "factions" is that on ranked matches, only 2 factions are available, the clowns and the dolls. Only on unranked matches you can use the busta rhymes errrrr...Mr Grim and preacher factions. Also, the cars you unlock for SP (Minus Warthog) dont transfer to online play.

When you hop online you only get 4 crappy vehicles or 5 I think and thats it. The rest must be unlocked by leveling up and gaining XP. Only way to get all vehicles from the get go is to play unranked. This new TM is a bigtime FAIL. If you'd shat 60 dollars on this right now you'd be praising all the bugs and nonsense in MK including smokes invisi glitch lol. I thought NRS were bad but man, these people at Eat Sleep Play are the cream of the crop. Ed Boon ain't got shit on David Jaffe. Damn!

On a side note, I don't feel too bad about the 60 dollars, I got the early copy so I got a free TM Black digital download. Cool thing is you don't need TM disc in drive to play. i sleep much better at night believing I paid 60 dollars for TMBlack. LOL

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
On a side note, I don't feel too bad about the 60 dollars, I got the early copy so I got a free TM Black digital download. Cool thing is you don't need TM disc in drive to play. i sleep much better at night believing I paid 60 dollars for TMBlack. LOL
I think that did this because they knew what they put on the market. Can I get TM Black somehow and not get TM2012, do I have to buy a new copy of the new TM to have access to TM Black?

I think that did this because they knew what they put on the market. Can I get TM Black somehow and not get TM2012, do I have to buy a new copy of the new TM to have access to TM Black?
It's a code for the PSN. You need to get the game to get it however, since you're a fellow TYM'er I'd be willing to hook you up ;-) Check your PM

I'm on the race with Dollface, and you know what? I quit. It's not even worth all of this bullshit to me. Single Player in this game is one of the worst video game experiences of my life.