What's new

True UMK/Fighting game League

Would you be interested in a league like this?

• Yes, bring it on, I'm destined to be a league champion!

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • No, it takes too long, I wouldn't stay interested over that long a time frame.

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noob
Recently it seems quite a few people are interested in a league of some sorts for ranking and gaming. I've had an idea brewing for a solid 3 months now that I've been developing and after hearing some ideas and reading how some people would like to see it implemented, I think this is a great time for this.

I've prepared a gaming league, though mainly focused on fighting games as of now, particularly UMK3. I won't limit registration to ultimatemk.com members only, but in order for people to register, they'll have to register on ultimatemk.com in order to post scores.

Onto the specifics:

Right now, I want to start easy, with just UMK3 on XBL and the DS. If there's enough interest, I will also do games like 3s, Alpha 3, MK2(PS2), and Super Turbo.

For now, UMK3 is where we start.

Registration will last 2 weeks once I open registration. There will be an email address that I will provide, which will be necessary to send a message to in order to register.

After registration, players will be divided up into divisions. Each player will then recieve a schedule of games, and each set of games is to be played in a weekly order. Once divisions are formed and schedules are completed, they will be posted on the first post of the season's thread. Emails will be sent to all registrants with schedules as well. This is not a tournament, this is a league, therefore we will play it over a period of weeks, not days. After completion of each week's games, both players are required to email me the scores to the provided email address(same as the registration email). Divisions, standings, win/loss record, will all be updated on the first post of the thread.

Here is how the league will play:

-10 week season
-1 opponent per week
-First to 10 wins(yes, mistaKM, this was your idea and it's a good measure of gameplay)
-Scores reported via email by both players with win/loss record
-End of season playoff format:
-Top 4 in each division will play in playoffs based on overall W/L record. (1 vs 4, 2 vs 3)
-Playoffs will be a best 2 of 3 in the "First to 10" format.
-Playoff winners square off in a division championship in the same 2/3 1st to 10.

-Once all divisions have completed their season and champions have been determined, an end of season "Tournament of Champions" will be held, where only division champions will be invited to compete, determining that season's Champion.

I'm basically gauging interest in this. If everyone is looking for something like this, then I will open registration for it very soon, and guidelines and rules will be posted.

I'm also looking for 1-2 people to be league directors. I'm a very busy person and I may not be able to stay on top of all this all at the same time. I will need some help. Please PM me if you have an interest in being a director.

I like this very much. It depends on two things, though. First, can it be organized well enough? You seem to be a very responsible person, I have faith. Second, it needs the players to actually play. What I like about Sheisse's idea is that it weeds out the inactives. If we have any type of actual organized league there must be a strong system of getting the games in on time and sanctioning those who don't.

I briefly thought about an idea like this but quickly dismissed it because I have no experience in how it works or in how to run it. You seem to have a pretty good handle on both so I put my faith in you.

btw, I still like Scheisse's idea at the same time. Keep it all as far as I'm concerned. The more games played the merrier.

Noob
there will def. be sanctions against those who miss their weekly sets. Basically, the idea would be that person takes a fortfeit and goes 0-10 for that week. 2 Fortfeits results in being removed from division play.

This is a free league, obviously, however some people may eventually want it to become a money league. I'm personally not a fan of it, especially online, but this is obviously a direction it could move in at some point, and money(specifically KEEPING it) is always a motivating factor. Becoming a money league, however is a LONG way off. Lets get this started and see where it goes in it's innaugural season.

Tim Static

Adminerator
:)

I know Shock has been talking about something like this before. This is exactly what this site needs, IMO. My post count is big but my game is weak. :eek: I had an enormous amount of fun getting schooled by Shock last night (I crack up everytime you do that magical Sindel flight cancel :(). And I need to start playing more. As in, all the time more.

Noob
17 views, 3 votes...LOL

I really have no problem running and organizing the league. We only need the interest.

Are we still going to have the other one to? Are we having the first for a "casual" league and to set a ranking system and this one for a more serious league. I'm in even tho I'm not very good.

Noob
Are we still going to have the other one to? Are we having the first for a "casual" league and to set a ranking system and this one for a more serious league. I'm in even tho I'm not very good.
Co-existing is cool... Scheisse's is a ranking system. This is a league. With his, the players have more control over when they move up, whereas with a league, your level is set by division. Essentially, with enough interest, I will set the divisions up to be as competative as possible, meaning, with as many players similar in skill as possible.

Then at the start of the next season, players who won their division may be forced to move up in skill level... it's dependant. Lets see how this goes first... we need season 1 before we can think about season 2.

Scheisse's and this can co-exist happily. The thing that I posted, though really isn't a league, could still be used. It will probably lose it's mojo if this ever catches on, though.

Noob
Scheisse's and this can co-exist happily. The thing that I posted, though really isn't a league, could still be used. It will probably lose it's mojo if this ever catches on, though.
yours was more of a "call someone out to play them here" type of thread...a direct challenge thread. That can def. co-exist as it acts as a good way to end disputes and such about skill.

Im not joining the 1st season or whatever you call it. I wanna see how smooth it run first because anytime something like this goes down we always get people to sign up but not actually playing when its time to play. If anyone who doesn't play on time should be disqualified without a warning because they already know what they are getting thereselves into before they even sign up.

Noob
Im not joining the 1st season or whatever you call it. I wanna see how smooth it run first because anytime something like this goes down we always get people to sign up but not actually playing when its time to play. If anyone who doesn't play on time should be disqualified without a warning because they already know what they are getting thereselves into before they even sign up.

Then you have no reason NOT to join. There are already guidelines for anyone who doesn't play on time, and if you plan on playing your games, then what have you got to worry about? By not playing in the first season, you only hurt the chances of a second season from even happening.

You're not dealing with a kid who wants to make a league here. I'm a 31 year old man who has an idea, a good head, willingness to commit, and a desire to see something organized and see it through to the end. That's why this is a poll to determine if we'll have the interest to actually do it. I'm not going to spend my precious time preparing all this without getting interest first.

DC, you seem like you'd be interested, but if you are interested you should play. However, if you set the precedent by providing a reason for others to not play, then it is destined to fail.

Noob
I'm gonna throw up if at least 20 people don't vote yes.
give it time, alot of people are still at work. Plus, remember, I'm not limiting this to just ultimatemk.com members... yes, people will have to sign up to participate, but that's where recruiting comes into play.

Outstanding! 1 match per week I think is the league's strongest point. Plenty of time and in responsibility of the players. Personally I would be more then up for it if I wasn't restricted to playing on Kaillera only : / .

Then you have no reason NOT to join. There are already guidelines for anyone who doesn't play on time, and if you plan on playing your games, then what have you got to worry about? By not playing in the first season, you only hurt the chances of a second season from even happening.

You're not dealing with a kid who wants to make a league here. I'm a 31 year old man who has an idea, a good head, willingness to commit, and a desire to see something organized and see it through to the end. That's why this is a poll to determine if we'll have the interest to actually do it. I'm not going to spend my precious time preparing all this without getting interest first.

DC, you seem like you'd be interested, but if you are interested you should play. However, if you set the precedent by providing a reason for others to not play, then it is destined to fail.
It would be more interesting if everyones matches could be recorded.

Noob
Outstanding! 1 match per week I think is the league's strongest point. Plenty of time and in responsibility of the players. Personally I would be more then up for it if I wasn't restricted to playing on Kaillera only : / .
Well, in the initial post I stated that I would do a DS division, however if people want a Kaillera division as well, I can do that. It makes it a bit more complicated, but I will handle it.