What's new

Question - Kano Trouble with Kano's run cancel, help?

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
Hi there, this afternoon i've been trying to get a Kano Cutthroat combo right for 3 - 4 hours straight (including coffee break). It's about this combo from the @Derptile guide:
F212 , F212, RC, 112, bf3

So I started out by trying F212, RC, 112. Couldn't land it a single time.
Then I tried: Run, 112. This worked almost every time. So I figured I'm doing something wrong. Went to Youtube and watched some video's but didn't learn much. I've read that after F212 you should wait till Kano starts putting his knives back and then start putting in the RC, etc. Didn't cut it for me (get it).

Is it something about buffering? Or just speed perhaps? Holding certain buttons? Love to hear your input, movies, drawings, whatever.

On a sidenote: RC's with Sub-zero are no problem and I can land practicly any other combo with Kano CT as long as there's no RC.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
Thing is that the Run is so quick, so it's essentially a run cancel. It really requires a soft touch to connect the 112 after the double F212. I can't get it online, but offline it's hit like 7/10 times.

My advice is to just practice with one F212 for now, and get a feel for the quick run..once you've got that down, try the full BnB

kraezyx

I never considered you at all.
Ok, well, f212, rc, 112 should not be too hard to land; it's more lenient than f212, f212, rc, 112 xx bf3.

Try to analyze it:
What part of f212, rc, 112 is failing?
a) Runcancel is not coming out (check your stamina bar to be sure) - you're doing the rc too early.
b) 112 is whiffing (stamina bar decreased) - if the AI went below the 112, the rc is too late; if 112 whiffed above, rc was too fast / early.
c) Other (input failure, etc)

This isn't a solution to your problem, but - f212, f212, f4 xx bf3 requires no run cancel and does only 1% less.

chores

bad at things
f212 (walk forward slightly) 32xBF3 for 25% .. i do that online. i dont mind dropping 5% for close to 10/10 reliability. offline i can get f212 f212 run 112 bf3 no problem

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Im pretty sure you dont even need to rc that anymore. Just do the combo with the rc and see if it works. By the phantom hitbox gawds it seems to work post patch now.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
Hi there, this afternoon i've been trying to get a Kano Cutthroat combo right for 3 - 4 hours straight (including coffee break). It's about this combo from the @Derptile guide:
F212 , F212, RC, 112, bf3

So I started out by trying F212, RC, 112. Couldn't land it a single time.
Then I tried: Run, 112. This worked almost every time. So I figured I'm doing something wrong. Went to Youtube and watched some video's but didn't learn much. I've read that after F212 you should wait till Kano starts putting his knives back and then start putting in the RC, etc. Didn't cut it for me (get it).

Is it something about buffering? Or just speed perhaps? Holding certain buttons? Love to hear your input, movies, drawings, whatever.

On a sidenote: RC's with Sub-zero are no problem and I can land practicly any other combo with Kano CT as long as there's no RC.
The trick to these kind of cancels (at least for me) is to find where the recovery ends. In this case, you want to know exactly when the recovery animation is over for F212 so you know when to input the run cancel.

Luckily, there's an easy way to do this. Input the string (F212) and then hold up. When Kano starts jumping is where you want your run cancel to land. So practice F212->Run. When you can do that consistently, do F212->Run->11, etc until you're comfortable with the whole combo.

Since you're having trouble getting the run after the F212, I'm going to say that's where the troubles lay. So go into practice and find that window after F212 ends that you can put in the run as fast as possible.

I couldn't get the run to come out by buffering while the F212 recovery animation was still active, so I would tell you to shoot for inputs just as it ends (when Kano could jump when you held up after inputting F212). They've changed how run and run canceling works so many times now that I'm not sure they even know it (should) work, but I just tested my method with this combo and got it on the first try.

Good luck.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
Great tips you guys!

What i've picked up from this is that I should not try to learn RC with Kano because it's too hard to do online (read: inconsistant). Therefore I'll my focus my time on combo's which @chores and @kraezyx named. And ill be sure to test the hitbox changes too.

If I'm bored and still feel like practicing RC, then I'll be sure to pick up on the other tips. Especially the jumping tip from @Enexemander seems good.

Thanks all!

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
@Derptile, I've read your combothread and what was your idea when making it? Just listing the highest damage combo's or present workable combo's to use online? I'm new to this scene and the way I see it is that these combolists can be used in online matches to enhance the chance of winning. But lots of people talk about 'this and that combo doesn't work (consistantly) online'. So why not make a combolist for the sole purpose of online play? Or do so many people play in offline tournaments?

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
The run cancels were worrisome for me at first as well, but I just kept at them and now I'm really good at the game and only drop them 75% of the time. It could be worse though. I day 1 wanted to alternate cassie, but her run cancels killed me back then.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
The run cancels were worrisome for me at first as well, but I just kept at them and now I'm really good at the game and only drop them 75% of the time. It could be worse though. I day 1 wanted to alternate cassie, but her run cancels killed me back then.
75% seems like an awful lot if your life depends on it :)

Lanqu

Noob
My problem with Kanos RC after f212 was in my touching any buttons after f212 and before RC. As ex kabal player Ive mashing blck btn each time during recovery of move and that was like f212 blck blck RC . And RC never get out, just pure dash or nothing at all. If I do f212 ---- wait a bit ---- RC --- let buttons go off - you will clearly see that Kano starts to run as soon as possible. May be its your problem. Do not mash anything before buffering RC!!!

MK2D

Have you had your MK today?
Run cancels are the bane of my game in general. I have to really break the pieces of the combo down and add each subsequent step, because my brain gets ahead of my fingers and screws up the timing. It feels good when it all connects but then there's the next step of nailing consistency.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
Same here. And I'm wondering if it's something I don't get or just something my hands are not quick enough for. So nowaydays I just got for simpler combo's which land consistantly. The reason is my footsies, 50/50-game and, air defence need training too and I get a lot more back if I get these things right.

@OmeMark

One of the issues in regards to an online optimal combo list is that you cannot account for the amount of lag. Yesterday I was playing a set against a regular opponent and wasn't even able to do b312-32-rib breaker in the corner, because the lag made the usually large window difficult to judge.

Honestly, at this point in your playing, don't worry yourself with max damage combos. Just use easy ones that do enough damage and focus on getting in an landing then. When you're able to attack and defend well, then focus on increasing your damage.

Anyway, here are some easy juggles for CT.

Mid screen

Meterless

F212-d2 (for really laggy games)
F212-rc-32-bf3

1 Bar

B121-db1ex-rc-32-bf3
B31-db1ex-rc-32-bf3

Corner

Meterless

B121-bf3

B312-32-bf3

1 bar

B121-db1ex-32-bf3
B312-32db1ex-32-bf3

These aren't anyway near optimal, but the metered combos hit for around 30%, which is enough for now. Like I said before, focus on creating opportunities for damage through footsies before trying to max out your combos.