What's new

Trouble with Ermacs

Mosp

Noob
I've been having trouble with good keepaway Ermacs and I feel very limited in what I can do against them, I'm curious to see if anyone has some helpful advice for this matchup. If anyone wants me to go into further detail explaining what I'm having problems with I would be more than happy to but for right now I just want a general idea.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Get in by dash-blocking and wait for him to do gravity squeeze or the teleslam then punish.
Yea this won't work against everyone. Dash block your way in and force Ermac to either run or get confrontational. If you get a knock down on him cross over him. His wakeup is negated and he either needs to block or get away from you to do TKP and keep you out. Ermac's sweet spot is just out of jump distance so about midscreen. He excels here and can hold his own full screen against some characters. You do not want to be midscreen against Ermac, and don't jump in, you'll just get lifted/pushed. As long as you don't let him apply pressure with his strings you should have the advantage close up with just about any other character. Regale me with what's troubling you and I can give more advice.

Mosp

Noob
Well I usually dash block my way in but once I get in range of his TKP I find it extremely difficult to get any closer without getting pushed back to fullscreen. Especially if Ermac isn't staying in one spot and backdashing every now and then to keep me at jump distance/fullscreen. I definitely feel like Ermac has control of this match and Quan can only capitalize on bad reads by him such as a blocked lift which doesn't seem to happen very often against a good player.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
you dont wanna get in on ermac. you wanna keep him out. Trust me, quan can outzone ermac. Spam skulls and bait a teleport, make sure you leave some reaction time in between, and as they teleport PUNISH THE SHIT OUTTA HIM, and end the combo in 112 and then dash back and repeat. Nothing he can do about that.

Mosp

Noob
you dont wanna get in on ermac. you wanna keep him out. Trust me, quan can outzone ermac. Spam skulls and bait a teleport, make sure you leave some reaction time in between, and as they teleport PUNISH THE SHIT OUTTA HIM, and end the combo in 112 and then dash back and repeat. Nothing he can do about that.
So it's better to zone him with just spamming skulls? Is there any point in throwing out runes? Or will that throw off the zoning and ruin the teleport bait?

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
So it's better to zone him with just spamming skulls? Is there any point in throwing out runes? Or will that throw off the zoning and ruin the teleport bait?
you can buffer the far rune so right after the skull, so as soon as the skull hits the rune comes out and its a frame trap of sorts, but they can escape after it so be wary of that.

Primal Raptor

Quan-Cheesy
ur completely right dink. thts wat i do to good ermacs because their pressure is inescapable so rushing in is a badd move. best to bait the dumbasses with skulls and teleports

Khaos Effekt

" For His Dead Brother"
ur completely right dink. thts wat i do to good ermacs because their pressure is inescapable so rushing in is a badd move. best to bait the dumbasses with skulls and teleports
raptor lol u should know after my ermac beat ur quan by baiting your teleports lol...not talking crap

Khaos Effekt

" For His Dead Brother"
raptor u should know after i beat ur quan with my ermac ....lol i baited you

Khaos Effekt

" For His Dead Brother"
and another thing u could do is just teleport behind them everytime they do a green ball and wait for a tele lift or someting and trance or if they do a b+f x u could rush in a do a combo but tip of advice when every round or game starts against ermac, never jump in raptor and dink r right bait any ermac to u really no matter what char. u are.

Robotic

Gentleman.
How's it goin Mosp. A technique I use that I don't see too often is far rune immediately after a 3/4 screen skull. It's very fast and almost always hits the first few times you do it. After they are trained to look for the far rune and block, it's only helping your meter building. They will begin to see they cannot win the zoning war against Quan Chi with immediate far rune follow ups and try to close distance - this creates foreknowledge of your opponent's actions and you can take it from there...

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
Remember that Quan Chi is VERY effective against Ermac from full screen. You can just throw skulls and bait a teleport. And Ermac's teleport is very easy to punish, you can get right into your train of mixups. And if he tries to counter with his own projectile, then just lol because that won't get him anywhere. Just stay out of jump range, so that his best moves aren't safe for him. If you score a knockdown, you can either cross him up, or if you notice that he's rolling THEN doing his wake up, you can just dash and hold block for a delicious punish.

Generally I just zone him until I can get a punish. This is really a downhill battle for Quan, imo

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
What the other ppl above me said plus be careful of throws. If you get thrown by Ermac and you end up in the corner its very difficult to escape Ermac's zoning pressure from there. Other than that everything else has been told in the above posts.