What's new

Trouble doing forceballs

I've been looking at Reptile and wanting to try him out since he's been one of my favorite characters, but I've always dismissed him because of the inputs for his forceball. I don't have a fight stick and don't plan on buying one (if that would even help, just dismissing the possible suggestion of one), and I play using the analog stick on the controller. It's really awkward for me to do any move involving << and I can barely do it fast enough to go into a combo. It's extremely easy for me to do it on a dpad, but doing anything else on it feels 'wrong'. Are there any possible tricks to doing << on an analog stick, or do I just need to practice it more?

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
I've been looking at Reptile and wanting to try him out since he's been one of my favorite characters, but I've always dismissed him because of the inputs for his forceball. I don't have a fight stick and don't plan on buying one (if that would even help, just dismissing the possible suggestion of one), and I play using the analog stick on the controller. It's really awkward for me to do any move involving << and I can barely do it fast enough to go into a combo. It's extremely easy for me to do it on a dpad, but doing anything else on it feels 'wrong'. Are there any possible tricks to doing << on an analog stick, or do I just need to practice it more?
arcade stick is much different from analog, trust me

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
If you are using the 360 remote stick with the direction pad, not the analog joystick. If you can get a EVO 360 pad. They are great for fighting games.

If you are using the 360 remote stick with the direction pad, not the analog joystick. If you can get a EVO 360 pad. They are great for fighting games.
I'll look into the EVO 360 pad I guess. Not really getting what you're saying about the remote stick/analog joystick, but I'm probably just reading it wrong.

It comes natural (to me anyways) because I always play the game with the analog stick. I've used it too long to just switch to the dpad.
I completely understand.. every other game i play, i use the analog, but MK you gotta get used to using the dpad or get used to screwing up inputs for combos and specials. Even the the 360 dpad is kind of shitty. The PS3 dpad is good cause every direction (up,down,left,right) has it's own separate button so it's harder to screw up inputs.

Agilaz

It has begun
It comes natural (to me anyways) because I always play the game with the analog stick. I've used it too long to just switch to the dpad.
That, and from what I've heard the regular 360 pads have awkward d-pads. I think I speak for everybody here when I say, take the time to learn using the d-pad. It's sooo much better than using analog sticks, assuming you're really not planning to get a stick.

MK9 only has one reason to ever use the analog stick in a match: Kanoball.

I tried using the dpad before and it was awkward for me to use. I couldn't even input a majority of the combos I could normally do. I guess I should just stick to it and start trying the dpad more.

I tried using the dpad before and it was awkward for me to use. I couldn't even input a majority of the combos I could normally do. I guess I should just stick to it and start trying the dpad more.
Yea, 2 or 3 hours on a dpad and you should get used to it. It's not so much of a difference. Try using one of those "hitbox" things...those are retarded confusing.

I play with the analog stick too, but I switch to the d-pad when doing moves like that. In any of the combos, you really have plrenty enough time to just drop your finger over to the dpad and finish the input there.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
Alternate between the analog stick and the d-pad. Pad for double forward - double back input and the stick for all the other.

Theme

Noob
Arcade stick is much better than analog sticks. If your playing MK on a controller though, Id highly recommend the dpad, but XBOX dpad sucks compared to PS3's, so I also suggest getting a PS2 converter.

Arcade stick is much better than analog sticks. If your playing MK on a controller though, Id highly recommend the dpad, but XBOX dpad sucks compared to PS3's, so I also suggest getting a PS2 converter.
Meh. when it comes to "this is better than that" etc, I think it's just personal preference. I love playing on the analog stick. It doesn't bother me at all and just feels natural on xbox. However, when I play on Ps3, I use the dpad because it feels better there. Lol. That, and all of our hands are different. Four fingers, one thumb, sure, but everyone has trained their hands to work differently and some things work better than others. I hate arcade sticks. They feel goofy to me. >.>. On a side note though, I would love to get a cheap ps3 converter for my xbox.