What's new

Trials/Combo Challenges in MKX

I really hope that there is something like this for each character. When picking up a new character, having something like a trials or combo section for them allows you to get a quick feel for the character, as well as challenge your execution. I'm a huge fan of these modes in fighting games--not only do they help with individual characters, but can help you get comfortable with the game overall. Anyone else hoping to see this in? If so, what sort of layout/specifics would you want? Here are mine:

1) Each character has own trials/combo challenges
2) Within the character section, having maybe 3-4 groupings: Easy Execution/Moves (similar to SF early trials), Moderate Execution/Reliable BnBs, Difficult Execution/Optimized Combos, bonus section unnecessarily difficult combos for the hell of it.
3) Have in game rewards/achievements linked to completing each character

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
In the story mode of Deception NRS made it where you had to land certain combos with said character before you could move on. I'm all for this. It was fun learning those combos back in the day.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I'm all for it. If more newcomers know at least combos, there will be more reason to improve early on as a player. For somebody lazy like me it would be a plus.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
A very good idea. I actually prefer this over the challenge tower and what not. Just make it trial style like in SFIV. Also, they should add combos ranging from easy to very difficult ones.

RiverHB

Noob
These are good ideas. The more content the better. Does anybody know if the krypt is going to return?

Dark

Noob
These are good ideas. The more content the better. Does anybody know if the krypt is going to return?

I believe when Ed was asked he said there would be something similar to the krypt.

And yes I definitely support this idea, I think the main reason NRS wouldn't do it though, is because of how often they'd have to adjust it based on balancing changes.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I love combo challenges... do them ALL before playing a real match every time a new game comes out.

With the horrible mashing by the MKX devs on stream, u really think they will be able to come up with a combo trials for each character??? Lol yea I wouldn't hold my breathe...unless they get some well known MK combo executioners up in there lil Mcfly, or CHECK I don't see it happening...

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
With the horrible mashing by the MKX devs on stream, u really think they will be able to come up with a combo trials for each character??? Lol yea I wouldn't hold my breathe...unless they get some well known MK combo executioners up in there lil Mcfly, or CHECK I don't see it happening...
Not unlikely considering that they are already rolling with updateable challenges.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
combo trials are the worst. An interactive goal based tutorial for each character would be nice like (SOME OF) the missions in Star Labs, but asking me to sit down and muscle memory up a bunch of combos I'm never going to use is fucking asinine.
This.

Combo trials don't really teach you much, and oftentimes don't have the combos you will be using in an actual match. Tutorials that teach you the character's basics, such as their archetype, strengths, and weaknesses, are much better for beginners. What good is a combo if you don't know how to play your character and set it all up?

Kakashi

Noob
combo trials are the worst. An interactive goal based tutorial for each character would be nice like (SOME OF) the missions in Star Labs, but asking me to sit down and muscle memory up a bunch of combos I'm never going to use is fucking asinine.
How to be good in a fighting game without muscle memory? :rolleyes:

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
If it's half as good as the KI tutorials I'll be happy. Anything that helps new players learn the game can only benefit the general player-base.

trufenix

bye felicia
How to be good in a fighting game without muscle memory? :rolleyes:
If you could guarantee me the combo trials were teaching me bnbs or at least something useful, I would be on board, but they don't. They always run you through a few specials, a few links or tight cancels, and then its just holy shit did you know with 1 frame timing and ridiculously situational spacing you can connect this one insane move with this other insane move? You didn't? Well how bout we do it 5 more times!

Star Labs did a good job with the missions that were like, hita x number of hits combo, do this much damage in a combo, or keep them juggled for that much time, etc etc. Because those teach you something, give you an opportunity to use your brain. Making me learn how to kara cancel into a taunt for a weird juggle in the middle of a super is time wasted on everyone's part.

Kakashi

Noob
If you could guarantee me the combo trials were teaching me bnbs or at least something useful, I would be on board, but they don't. They always run you through a few specials, a few links or tight cancels, and then its just holy shit did you know with 1 frame timing and ridiculously situational spacing you can connect this one insane move with this other insane move? You didn't? Well how bout we do it 5 more times!

Star Labs did a good job with the missions that were like, hita x number of hits combo, do this much damage in a combo, or keep them juggled for that much time, etc etc. Because those teach you something, give you an opportunity to use your brain. Making me learn how to kara cancel into a taunt for a weird juggle in the middle of a super is time wasted on everyone's part.
Are you saying that combos trails do not contribute significantly to training a player? We are not so drastic. As I can be agree with you is that a combo trail do not look good in a game like Mortal Kombat.

trufenix

bye felicia
Are you saying that combos trails do not contribute significantly to training a player? We are not so drastic. As I can be agree with you is that a combo trail do not look good in a game like Mortal Kombat.
I am saying they absolutely do not. They are not a teaching tool, they are fighting game busy work.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I really wish they'd have a dojo mode like in killer instinct but with each character, as opposed to just jago.