What's new

Training Mode Tip: Reaction Training

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I was practicing how to react to Kotal's f2 and figured I could share my method to hopefully help out others who might be struggling against fast, far reaching moves.

So what I did was use all 4 recording slots, then replayed them randomly with hidden playback icons

1. Random walking, then the f2,4 string, then more walking
  2. Random walking, then a jump 3
  3. No walking, just a straight projectile
  4. Just random walking
The walking I felt was important because it vaguely simulated a real match with each player playing footsies moving in and out of eachother's ranges. Also made it harder to read or predict what Kotal was going to do. The issue isn't necessarily the f2 (or any quick, far moving, "Fuck Neutral" move) it's the threat of it. It's braindead easy to react to a jump in, but when you're fighting a character with a slide, a shadowkick, a teleport or whatever it becomes so much harder to react to things you aren't afraid of. That's why I feel like this type of training is helping me out so much.

I fucked up with his projectiles. I was trying to train myself to duck them and punish with Ermac, but the threat of F2 had the projectile so low on my list of priorities lol.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I was doing something similar but with hit confirms, blocking at random intervals or holding it down, holding it just a bit, etc., it definitely makes a difference and it’s a great way to grind something specific.

The thing I feel is hard about anticipating or punishing advancing moves is knowing the correct distance to walk in and out of it. Sometimes you’ll walk back and think you created enough space to have it whiff but then you get clipped anyway.

Looks like Flawless Blocking the string is the right answer though, I’ll definitely lab that.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I was doing something similar but with hit confirms, blocking at random intervals or holding it down, holding it just a bit, etc., it definitely makes a difference and it’s a great way to grind something specific.

The thing I feel is hard about anticipating or punishing advancing moves is knowing the correct distance to walk in and out of it. Sometimes you’ll walk back and think you created enough space to have it whiff but then you get clipped anyway.

Looks like Flawless Blocking the string is the right answer though, I’ll definitely lab that.
Yeah the walking is the hardest part, that's why I had him randomly move around.
I'm gonna try it out with Erron and Sub next. I def can't react to Sub's slide, but it's more about reacting to his other moves while anticipating slide.