What's new

Tournament Standard?

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Hey everybody. I've been running tournaments for nearly 10 years in San Antonio, TX but am not sure how to approach MK9. I've had lots of success running 360 (vs PS3) tourneys for SSF4 and recently, MvC3. For the record, I have both systems. What I'm wondering is, does anybody have an idea what the tourney standard will be for MK9? Since the TE is so massively popular, I was going to continue running 360 only.

Any thoughts would be great from other TOs. Thanks guys

DrDogg

Noob
Evo and DEVASTATION are both running on PS3. Most (all?) of the MKDC tournaments were also run on PS3.

MK has a lot of pad players, so I would think PS3 will become standard.

Tim Static

Adminerator
There wont be a standard. It depends on your local crew. Here in Columbus, we use 360.

Basing it on a controller now is just being silly and lazy. too many converters and modding services around to let that be an issue.

My thought is if you're already running 360 then go with it. People who play on that system in other games should already be prepared.

I think technically PS3 will be the preferred just because of EVO and the EVO series, but it shouldn't really matter in the end (similar to how IV has worked out on both systems).

DrDogg

Noob
If there are technical differences in each version, then the console will matter... especially since there's no arcade version to compare the game to.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Never stopped the inferior SSF2T HDR being run on PS3, as one example. some communities will just continue to use whatever they have and thats fine.

If there are technical differences in each version, then the console will matter... especially since there's no arcade version to compare the game to.
In today's climate for games like this, the fact that the people playing the game are generally split 50/50 between PS3/360 users makes it matter even less.

Of course if we see game breaking differences, or serious technical issues, we might be forced to say one system should always be used. But for now, we can't really predict that sort of thing.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I heard the only reason Evo is using PS3 is because Sony donates PS3s to them, something about Microsoft not willing to give them any? Either way, all you guys made excellent points, my local scene is really mostly 360 and by this point, should be prepared. Keep the discussion going though:)

DrDogg

Noob
Evo is the biggest tournament of the year though. If you're going to make any kind of decision about console preference before the game is released, that's the biggest factor you're going to get. Even if Evo uses the lesser of the two versions, I'd rather practice on the lesser version and be ready for Evo instead of playing the superior version and having to adjust later on.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Saying it right now, the better version of the game is on 360. Runs smoother, less choppy, just looks and runs better. (i havent even played online on either system, so that wasnt even taken into consideration fyi)

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Even though the game does run better on 360, is PS3 considered the tourney standard now, or is it still open to have 360 also? I scheduled a tournament for May 21st but wanted to get some input cause right now it's on 360

Tim Static

Adminerator
Even though the game does run better on 360, is PS3 considered the tourney standard now, or is it still open to have 360 also? I scheduled a tournament for May 21st but wanted to get some input cause right now it's on 360
Run it on whatever console you see fit. The only reason PS is the standard now is the stick/pad compatibility. RROD is a farce now.

But one issue until its patched is the 360 not being able to save updates to the HDD so all the updates can only be used online, which doesnt do anything for an offline tourney.

but players will have to be prepared for whatever console the game is ran on for controllers, sticks & converters.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Run it on whatever console you see fit. The only reason PS is the standard now is the stick/pad compatibility. RROD is a farce now.

But one issue until its patched is the 360 not being able to save updates to the HDD so all the updates can only be used online, which doesnt do anything for an offline tourney.

but players will have to be prepared for whatever console the game is ran on for controllers, sticks & converters.
From what I understand, as long as the 360 is connected to online, offline is patched. Or did I misunderstand it?

Tim Static

Adminerator
From what I understand, as long as the 360 is connected to online, offline is patched. Or did I misunderstand it?
its supposed to be, but however a glitch isnt letting the updates save to the 360's HDD. A patch fixing that is coming soon.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
So with all the nonsense going on with PSN, is 360 going to be more popular now? Alamo Gaming is going to order about 4 PS2 to 360 converters to try to make life easier and help the players prepare for Evo so they can still use their PS2 pads

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
What makes the game run better on 360? This is the first I'm hearing of that.
There's cases of slowdown on the PS3 version, most notably during X-Rays, though I believe it does occur in other areas as well. If I'm not mistaken, the game was actually built on 360 and then ported to PS3.