What's new

Tournament Attendance and The Community

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
First thing's first: Mods, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure if I should put it here, or in the tournament announcements forum.

All right.

So, I was reading a thread on TYM today that got me thinking about tournaments. More specifically, I was wondering about what the community thinks an "acceptable" amount of tournaments a high-level player is supposed to attend.

Allow me to explain:

So it is a common belief that people who are not frequent tournament goers shouldn't determine tournament rules/policy/etc. That's fine. I'm not here to argue that. What I am wondering is what is an acceptable amount of tournaments a person is expected to attend?

The more I thought about this, the more questions I had.

Obviously, as we all know, travel can be expensive depending on a lot of variables. Taking time off of work, planning a trip, etc, it takes some doing to go to a tournament. So with that in mind, I'm wondering how many "count" or "matter."

Then, I started wondering about the regions. Specifically, if I am wanting to attend a tournament, and in my region there are only two tournaments a year and I can only go to one of them, is it acceptable for me to only attend the one and for it to matter?

To make an example, (and if I am mistaken, please correct me) in the Midwest you have KiT and you have Combo Breaker. I think they also have Frosty Faustings, which many consider to be a regional. Compare that to the East Coast, which has a Big E major tournament like...every week. (This is me exaggerating. I do know they don't have THAT many tournaments.)

If I live in the Midwest and can only attend Combo Breaker and Frosty Faustings...is that enough? Or do I HAVE to travel out of my region?

What about players who can ONLY play in their region? Do they "count?"

And speaking of that...what if the only tournaments a person can afford to go to are regionals? Do they matter?

This topic, to me, gets more interesting when you talk about placings. If I'm a tournament player and I attend say...Texas Showdown and I manage to make Top 8, does it matter less because I happen to live in Texas? Or would me traveling to Frosty Faustings and placing matter more?

Now, we've had an interesting past with MLG. If MLG picks MK X up again, how much should those tournaments count? If a grassroots gets higher attendance than MLG, should the grass roots tournament count more?

And of course, every one knows that EVO counts. But what if EVO is the ONLY tournament you can afford to go to? Does that count? Is it good enough, or are you as a tournament player expected to travel more?

How many regionals/majors/MLGs is an average tournament player expected to attend?

I don't think there is a wrong or right answer. Or, if there is one, I don't know it. But I'm curious as to what the community thinks.