What's new

Tom Brady on accommodating a tournament rule standard for Injustice: Gods Among Us

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Veteran tournament player, EMP|Tom Brady has been tweeting very fiercely about coming up with a solution for a tournament standard for when changing characters/stages in Injustice. One of the reasons for this is due to... "the pick your pocket character when you see the stage and see what happens vs players at the highest lvl w/their MAIN." among other aspects. Since stages are very important in Injustice considering power characters on rooftop against a non-power character can be devastating to them... such as a Green Arrow player pitted against Black Adam.

Here are some of Tom's tweets regarding the issue. Tom's reputable view on this comes from the many years he has in the tournament scene. His suggestions are as follows:

tomtweets.jpg

Source: MK_TomBrady
Credit: EventHubs

Attachments

KDZ

It's amore, BABY.
Stages matter SO MUCH in this game. And EVERY OTHER GAME AND COMMUNITY where stages matter is RANDOM. STAGE. SELECT.

Soul Calibur.
Tekken.
Virtua Fighter.

The list goes on, because every one of them realize that being able to have a 50% chance of getting a stage that either strongly benefits you, or completely hurts the other player, is INSANE.

We NEED to buckle down and make STAGE SELECT RANDOM.

RANDOM.
100% RANDOM.
If you lose, you choose to STAY, or ANOTHER RANDOM, like every other tournament that has important stages in existence!!!

This 50/50 is one of the worst ideas to ever grace a competitive scene.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
KDZ I can't imagine Hilde players in SC4 being able to have a 50/50 shot at picking small stages each time.

The NRS community truly amazes me sometimes, how this was even entertained, forget about being allowed, is mind blowing

KDZ

It's amore, BABY.
True enough, but they're also the odd duck out, the only one. And that's because of the viable amount of flat playable land on certain stages.

We don't have that issue.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
STORMS id like if youd post my responses to tom from my twitter as i point out why the player 2 method is not "DUMB" and why the player 1 method is flawed.

also thinking players "at the highest level" can only play one character and not counter pick from a backround picture is well,silly

AssassiN

Noob
Stage should be random all the way, every match should be played on a new random stage.
Maybe use the P2 random stage but implement a system where it's possible to start with different area's of the arena.

KDZ

It's amore, BABY.
The loser has to have the option to stay on the stage.
That's fighting game rules 101.

lawzoers

Noob
STORMS id like if youd post my responses to tom from my twitter as i point out why the player 2 method is not "DUMB" and why the player 1 method is flawed.

also thinking players "at the highest level" can only play one character and not counter pick from a backround picture is well,silly
Player 2 method disregards almost half of the stages as selectable ones.

It should always be random, but I think random 50/50 would be best to use Injustice's unique features. Stage selection is waaaay too important. Also, random 50/50 removes the chance to possibly change character picks based on the background shown. Overall there needs to be a standard operating procedure when it comes to this for tournaments. It also simplifies the character switch rules to what every other game uses.

KDZ

It's amore, BABY.
Random 50/50 is a very viable option, @AKHarold

What's important is that people don't get a choice of stage.

Yeah, there should be no choice on stage, as a player it is also a lot more exciting to double random stages to me. In addition, it forces players to fully explore their options on every stage possibility, and adds slightly more depth to injustice players.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I KNOW IT'S SERIOUS BUSINESS CUZ CAPS!!

In all seriousness though, random stage or 50/50 doesn't really matter. As long as your a power character the stage is in your favor. It's just a question of how much advantage

KDZ

It's amore, BABY.
I KNOW IT'S SERIOUS BUSINESS CUZ CAPS!!

In all seriousness though, random stage or 50/50 doesn't really matter. As long as your a power character the stage is in your favor. It's just a question of how much advantage

But then you have characters like Batman who can avoid every tracking explosion interactable in the game, on stages like watchtower where he can throw them, vs characters like Bane who is a power character with no mobility.

What you said is out of frustration, and I feel you, but it's not always true.