What's new

Today, I did something for the first time in 15 years. [Skateboarding discussion]

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Nice, I’m sure you’ll be the next tony hawk in no time. :D
... sure thing!
Nice!

It is like riding a bike once you know how you'll always know
Very true. It helps that I used to skate when I was younger. I was never very good but I always had the basics down i.e. balance, etc. When I was little there was no good skate parks around..
And now I learn that this one is 4.5 miles from my house!
Even though I've never skated myself I do find skating to be a pretty nostalgic thing.
I've already started looking into a new deck of my own.... lol.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
nice. I have been to an official skatepark once and it was cool but the random spots were always my favorite. I skated an old abandoned putt putt course, it was wild. If you tear up all of that green turf it’s almist like it was built for skateboarding. It’s illegal though and probably not something you should do with your son lol.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
nice. I have been to an official skatepark once and it was cool but the random spots were always my favorite. I skated an old abandoned putt putt course, it was wild. If you tear up all of that green turf it’s almist like it was built for skateboarding. It’s illegal though and probably not something you should do with your son lol.
Skating in those random areas is what we had to do when I was little. There was a church that we skated at in Craley strictly for the curb. It was so coated with wax that it was black on the edge.

Getting a solid gring off of a curb is soooooo awesome feeling.

However, this skatepark is my new favorite spot... I mean, I would've never thought I'd be doing this again, but here I am. AND... I'm really looking forward to going back to it.

In fact, I'm gonna take the dude John's advice that I met there... set a goal for yourself each time you come. I'm not gonna try dropping in on the quarter pipes yet.. but it's on the list.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
That’s sweet! I was never good at skateboarding but I love longboarding to get around instead of using a bike.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I used to enjoy roller blades and a little bit of skate boarding casually, I never did any tricks. I always felt safer on longboards. I like how you can drift on them!

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Yesterday I learned about a skate park very close to me... and I recently bought a skateboard at a flea market for my son... so...

I could count on my hold the amount of times I have EVER gone to a skate park... discovering and going to this place is a dream come true.
This is awesome! I recently bought my son and his friend skateboards from Valsurf. While I was buying the boards and having them built, I decided to get myself one too! We have a skate park near where I live as well. I was an avid skateboarder in my youth and getting back on the board felt so natural even after all that time of not skating! I taught my son and his friend how to skateboard and now they love it!

Seeing your video was awesome! Keep it up!

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
These days where I come from, only few skates on the streets, like we use to when we were younger. Plany though still roller blades on daily basis.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
This is awesome! I recently bought my son and his friend skateboards from Valsurf. While I was buying the boards and having them built, I decided to get myself one too! We have a skate park near where I live as well. I was an avid skateboarder in my youth and getting back on the board felt so natural even after all that time of not skating! I taught my son and his friend how to skateboard and now they love it!

Seeing your video was awesome! Keep it up!
Yo, that's awesome! It's also inspiring to know that I'm not the only one considering getting a board for myself... probably going today after work to get a deck built... :-D

The skate park has been on my mind so much since yesterday. It's still hard to believe there's a skatepark that close to my house.

I'll have to invest in pads too... I'd hate to call off from work due to a skateboarding injury... :)

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
@mastermalone I'm curious, what brand deck did you get? The skate shop by my house has limited inventory but they have a Girl deck that I like... I figure if I wanna skate tomorrow... I might be gearing that deck up. :)

Plan B seems to have some of the highest reviews, along with Birdhouse and Zero.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
@mastermalone I'm curious, what brand deck did you get? The skate shop by my house has limited inventory but they have a Girl deck that I like... I figure if I wanna skate tomorrow... I might be gearing that deck up. :)

Plan B seems to have some of the highest reviews, along with Birdhouse and Zero.
It's a Quasi. It's pretty well built. I'm using some slightly softer wheels for a more smooth ride. My original wheels were designed for grinding which I'm not doing too much of these days.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Skating its the sport i always wanted to try on, but never did because back then my country didn't embraced, so decks were extremely hard to find.
So i learned tricking instead, and ironically enough my little brother its a skater today and can do way more tricks than i ever dreamed, including kickflips and varials.

If Skate would arrived around 15 years earlier i would be a skater instead, huge Tony Hawk and Rodney Mullen fan here.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Yesterday I learned about a skate park very close to me... and I recently bought a skateboard at a flea market for my son... so...

I could count on my hold the amount of times I have EVER gone to a skate park... discovering and going to this place is a dream come true.
That's awesome! I always advocate living the dream, whatever the dream may be.
Watch them old bones, though.
Don't break anything

Matix218

Get over here!
@STORMS I have been skateboarding since i was 13 (currently 36 years old). If you have any questions about skating in general or specific equipment related questions (deck width, truck/wheel sizing, etc.) feel free to hit me up. Also when I was in community college I worked at a skatepark for over 2 years.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
@STORMS I have been skateboarding since i was 13 (currently 36 years old). If you have any questions about skating in general or specific equipment related questions (deck width, truck/wheel sizing, etc.) feel free to hit me up. Also when I was in community college I worked at a skatepark for over 2 years.
Yo that's awesome!!! I'm jealous... I wish I would've kept it up over the years but I guess you can always wish on just about anything.

Regardless, this park has revitalized my passion for skating.

I just ordered a Zero board, Venture trucks, Spitfire wheels, Bones bearings.

I appreciate you lending advice @Matix218 ! How loose do you ride your trucks?

Matix218

Get over here!
Yo that's awesome!!! I'm jealous... I wish I would've kept it up over the years but I guess you can always wish on just about anything.

Regardless, this park has revitalized my passion for skating.

I just ordered a Zero board, Venture trucks, Spitfire wheels, Bones bearings.

I appreciate you lending advice @Matix218 ! How loose do you ride your trucks?
When I was younger I used to ride fairly tight trucks, to the point where I would generally swap out my stock bushings for the harder ones from shortys or bones. Now I ride my trucks a bit looser, generally almost as loose as they come right off the shelf (usually a quarter to a half turn tighter than stock on my independent trucks with stock bushings/washers at most). I know a ton of guys, particularly guys who are more into transition/park riding and less into flatground pop/flip tricks that ride their trucks crazy loose and love it that way. Truck tightness is really a personal preference thing as you can even see at the pro level where you have guys like Nyjah who ride fairly tight trucks and then guys like daewon who has his front truck so loose I am pretty sure it does not even have a top bushing (not joking).