What's new

To play or not to play Final Fantasy 13

Bo_DK

Noob
I started my 2nd playthrough yesterday and i stopped my 2nd playthrough yesterday.
This is just a BAD game.
Now dont get me wrong, i love the final fantasy series and i got from 6 and up exept 11.
13 is totally stripped of anything that makes it a final fantasy game or even and rpg.
It´s a watered down, easy as hell but unsatisfying action game that easy could have been its own individually game and not another chapter in the series... Seriously

Where is the fun minigames and silly stuff?
Where is the sidequest? (missions dosent really count as sidequests and if they do, theres only 1 in the game)
Where are the towns, npc´s, shops, inn´s, and all the other rpg elements?
Where are the ultimate weapons? (sure you can upgrade every weapon but you still end up with the same one in the end)

Why is the game so easy? (auto healing after each battle? come on, even a 3 year old could beat this game)
Why is the game SO LINEAR? 5 years development and all we get is straight lines.
Why (the hell) can you only control one character? sure it would have been an on-screen fuckfest (even more so) if you should control all 3 but atleast let us issue orders to them or even better, a freakin gambit system would have balanced the AI perfectly.

What is the point of the point system? that one really confuses me, get a score after each battle but what can you do with it? is there some secret arcade more that can be unlocked and you may go for high scores?
What is the point of the upgrading system? I mean seriously, why not just give you exp automaticly after each battle and let them go towards your weapon and equipment upgrades? would have made much more sense.

Square Enix just should have called this game "N.O.R.A" and made it an individual game because, seriously, what does this have to do with final fantasy when so so many things are left out or changed.
This (imo) dosent qualify as a Final Fantasy game...

I bought this game just the other day. No gonna start it until i've finished god of war 3 though.

Is it really that bad?

Bo_DK

Noob
IceyTruth said:
I bought this game just the other day. No gonna start it until i've finished god of war 3 though.

Is it really that bad?
If you are a fan of the series and have waited those 3 years since the announcment, YES this is a very bad final fantasy game. Bad and EXTREMELY disappointing...
But if you never played a ff game before and like action games like god of war and such, i actually think you might find it enjoyable. Just be prepeared to run through straight line map dungeons with 10min cut scenes every 5 minutes and to get your thumb num from all that X pressing your are going to do...

Ya final fantasy is going more mainstream so it can appeal to more people, which means make it easier for people to beat(cough mvsc3 cough) . Ive loved the old FF games and wish they would make an ACTUAL follow up to FFT and not a watered down and weird kiddie game. Anyways ive been playing the Persona series and i'm starting to really like atlus. They make good rpg games.

Well FFVII was the first FF games I owned and have most of them since then. I've always enjoyed them. I guess i'll see when I start it :)

I've been playing in the FFXIV online beta for PC. If you don't like linear games then you will probs enjoy that ;) I've havent played it much but it does feel like the previous console final fantasy games....just bigger!

Bo_DK

Noob
IceyTruth said:
I've been playing in the FFXIV online beta for PC. If you don't like linear games then you will probs enjoy that ;) I've havent played it much but it does feel like the previous console final fantasy games....just bigger!
Oh really, how is that then?
And wich ff can you compared it too most? I really hope you say ff 12 hehe.
Btw what do u think of ff12?

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
gremloc said:
Ya final fantasy is going more mainstream so it can appeal to more people, which means make it easier for people to beat(cough mvsc3 cough).
This FTW

Seems like this is happening to alot of games these days. Resident Evil is a horror game but with RE5 it's almost all action. Front Mission was a pretty sick rpg but now they wanna turn it into a 3rd person shooter. I hope this is just a phase.

Yamaraja said:
Seems like this is happening to alot of games these days. Resident Evil is a horror game but with RE5 it's almost all action. Front Mission was a pretty sick rpg but now they wanna turn it into a 3rd person shooter. I hope this is just a phase.
You just made me nostalgia hard when you mentioned Front Mission. I fucking LOVED that game. FFXIII was awful, and this is coming from someone who put in almost 300 hours in FFXII.

DCI, your review sums up my thoughts about it pretty much, very well written too.