What's new

Tips for Online play for offline players?

Ok, so I've really gotten into the offline MK scene in my town and have proven myself to be at the least an above average player (maining Sub Zero). However, now that AE is out, people have been switching back to that for a bit and the MK scene has slowed down considerably here, hopefully not for too long. So in need of an MK fix, I finally activated my online pass and low and behold...this crap sucks. The lag prevents me from connecting my BnB combo and any time I try a jump in cross up with a jip,2,2~freeze I just get the full 2,2,2 combo instead...and I know I'm not hitting 2 that much. The lag I get on ice clone is greater than usual giving people a strong chance to punish in situations where they usually don't. And forget playing a decent Scorpion or Nightwolf player because with bad lag, they can just spam their unblockables since the lag keeps me from jumping in time. On that note, I keep getting multiple jumps off of one input. If I hadn't been playing offline this whole time, I would think 'maybe its me?' But with the experience I have offline I know that can't be right...

So I can see some solutions to my problems: Instead of using the full BnB, just use 2,1,4~slide off of a freeze. Maybe try using even less inputs than what I'm supposed to use on a jump in...and definitely aim for more lows since the lag keeps people from blocking low in time....outside of that I have a few more ideas, but I'm interested in seeing what other typically offline players do to adapt to the laggy online play. lol

Dark_Rob

Noob
Ok, so I've really gotten into the offline MK scene in my town and have proven myself to be at the least an above average player (maining Sub Zero). However, now that AE is out, people have been switching back to that for a bit and the MK scene has slowed down considerably here, hopefully not for too long. So in need of an MK fix, I finally activated my online pass and low and behold...this crap sucks. The lag prevents me from connecting my BnB combo and any time I try a jump in cross up with a jip,2,2~freeze I just get the full 2,2,2 combo instead...and I know I'm not hitting 2 that much. The lag I get on ice clone is greater than usual giving people a strong chance to punish in situations where they usually don't. And forget playing a decent Scorpion or Nightwolf player because with bad lag, they can just spam their unblockables since the lag keeps me from jumping in time. On that note, I keep getting multiple jumps off of one input. If I hadn't been playing offline this whole time, I would think 'maybe its me?' But with the experience I have offline I know that can't be right...
Il put down this game before I ever play another match online. Its that freakin bad.

It's not perfect, but the last patch actually helped a LOT.

(I still drop around 60% of my combos, though, but it's not horrible. The better player almost always wins; and online is really helpful for learning the meta-game; i.e., there's more to the game than combos, and this isn't lost in online play.)

Lol at Dark Rob and McNasty. Yeah, I think the smoothness of real life has me spoiled. I kept at it with some of the ideas I had and did a 'bit' better. I sent a message to a guy who beat me pretty fairly asking how people put up with this, he responded "Patience young padawan, Patience."