What's new

Tips for combos NOT starting with an air punch

Kweli

Noob
Starting combo's with a air punch is second nature to me. I can get in and play some of the mixup game. My problem arises when I fight someone who is able to stop my air game. At this point I stick to dashes BUT im not sure how to start combo's from a standing position.

Most times i get poked and it interrupts my string.... What do I need to keep in mind when trying to attack from a sweep distance? I guess one part would be picking combo's that have my character moving forward for each attack?

Any info will help.... This part of my game is lacking

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Who is your main character(s)? Certain characters have normals that are great for that like cyrax and raiden. Overall though for most characters, dash block-dash block-dash block- wait for them to make the mistake then punish. Pratice combos in training mode without the jump punch. Block-dash- then start your combo and then take to a real match and see if you improve. Takes pratice and experience.

Kweli

Noob
Typically main Stryker, and im starting to use Liu Kang.

Against someone like Kitana (with her down poke) or Noob (with his ghost) I cant get close enough to do a combo without eating an interuption

wolfie

Noob
@kweli .... im having the same problem against Kitana... once i lost 1 round to her only cuz i was trying to counter her down poke with every move with ermac and i cant figured it out how to counter...only blocking and then attack.

Well if your opponent likes to crouch tech a lot, you can take advantage of it with a cross-over jump punch. (You jump in anticipation of D1, D3 or D4, they are unable to anti-air so you can catch them off guard like this).

Usually, when a character has air control you don't jump on them unless they're in the middle of something (a whiffed special or string, stagger state, recovery etc). So the idea is you have to bait them into whiffing something and take advantage of their recovery to jump on them.

Don't know much about Liu Kang, but with Stryker the best way to start a combo on ground is 1, 1 / B3, 2 / B2, F2. But more importantly you wanna use your footsies (4, 3, B3, B2, D3, D4) and gun cancels to set up a "false safe jump". But up close your goal should be building meter 75% of the time. The only time you need to combo is to punish a blocked or whiffed special and after landing a jump punch of course. The rest of the time it's all zoning, counter-zoning, baiting counters, footsies, mixups, set ups and mind fucks you should be doing. Not trying to land your big flashy combos.

Vs Kitana you don't want to be in her face anyway. Just zone her and outpoke her with 4 and sweep. Jump over her in anticipation of a crouch tech or attack string. Or use EN Roll Toss/EN Baton Sweep as parry. Punish Square Boost with gun cancels, high grenades, 4 or uppercut. And punish fans with roll toss on reaction.

Vs Noob from far away you should be trying to bait his teleports with crouch tech cancels. At mid-range you should be jumping over his straight clones with jump cancels. Up close, you don't combo or jump on Noob, you outpoke him, mix him up and build meter. Then you start counter zoning and dash blocking again.

Kweli

Noob
Don't know much about Liu Kang, but with Stryker the best way to start a combo on ground is 1, 1 / B3, 2 / B2, F2.

Vs Noob from far away you should be trying to bait his teleports with crouch tech cancels.
Can you explain 1, 1/B3... do you mean 1 and then another 1 OR a B3... or two 1's and a B3?

Also, can you explain crouch tech cancels?

Can you explain 1, 1/B3... do you mean 1 and then another 1 OR a B3... or two 1's and a B3?
Sorry I meant: (1, 1 > combo) OR (B3, 2 > combo) etc.

Also, can you explain crouch tech cancels?
Crouch tech cancel = gun dash cancel xx D1 / D3 / D4

Crouch tech canceling allows you to cancel the transition frames from stand to crouch, thus allows you to bait and evade/punish specials that hit high (most teleports, NW's shoulder etc).