What's new

Timing on aaHP, aaHK, etc...

I'm new to the community, but I've played a ton of games on Xbox Live. (ranked 3000 or so, yeah I suck) The guides are great!

I play with Nightwolf, primarily because I can't seem to get the timing down on aaHP/aaHK, so I am using the Hatchet for aa as a crutch. (pretty easy to do) Seems everytime I try aaHP/aaHK late, I get kicked in the mouth before the animation completes, but if I try it early, I get the leg out but get kicked anyway.

In general, what range is the best to aa someone with a HP/HK? Do I need to step in/step back when I anticipate their jump? Any tips as far as range or timing would be greatly appreciated.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Depending on where you are when they jump, what character you and they are using, when they attack in relaitionship to the jump, if they have an air special or not, all are factors in anti air set ups. If you are Ermac and anyone jumps are you from half screen distance, no matter when they attack you should be able to compensate for an aaHP. If they JK as soon as they leave the ground, it is pretty safe to aaHP them enabling you to perform up to 82% damage depending on the character. If they jump from sweep range they are normally going to go for a cross up so you can HP as they leave the ground, knocking them right back. Some characters who are hard to aaHP are Kabal, Kano, and Nightwolf. Their JK hot collision box in relationship with their cold collision makes it difficult to connect the HP under them without getting hit. You can also kara jab (block cancel) the HP at any time so essentially, you do a HP, the collision is there for an instant, but you are always safe because block will register no matter how much of the punch has happened as soon as they touch you. This will make them land in front of you setting up a 50/50.

As for the HK, there's a lot more freedom to counter with this move, but also a lot less damage potential. Essentially, if the kick is early, you can time the HK to connect after their hot collision box disappears. If you see them jump without attack, you can time the HK to hit before their attack comes out. This works well at around sweep - half screen distance as well.

Collison boxes?

Just need a little clarification on what you mean by hot and cold collison boxes. If this is in one of the guides just let me know and ignore the question. Thanks for your assistance.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Cold box is the area around the character that can be hit.
Hot box is the area around an attack that can hit your opponent (their Cold Box)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Thanks.

Unlike some other forum, not naming names, we are not just a news site and are out to better the MK gaming community not just report on it. Hell, we play the damn games with you! lol

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
That's something a lot of the newcomers like the most, is that there are people on here who actually play and help them hands on. Last night I taught a guy a buttload of Reptile tactics and strats. He's already RHing me constantly into FB traps and set ups.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Nice.

Here's an example of Hot and Cold boxes in Scorpion's HK:

The Red box (hot) is where the HK hits from.
The Blue box (cold) is where Scorpion can be hit.

Greatly appreciate the help...

Still having problems with aaHP, but I've got aaHK's down pretty good.
I just need to break out of the habit of sitting there blocking while people are jumping around.