What's new

Question - Scorpion Timing for combo strings

Hey guys, I've been playing around with a couple of characters recenty, and I've gravitated towards scorpion because I think he looks downright badass ( also he might be easy). I'm extremely new to the whole FG scene and I've absolutely fallen in love with MKX.

The problem I've been facing is predicting the exact timing of the combo inputs. I've been dpoing some reading and what I've found out that MKX utilizes a dial in combo system, which differs from SF4, the game that I've been playing most recently. I can pull off basic stuff like Jip, 214xx db3 but then following it up with a 21, db4 is basically a hit or miss for me. I don't know when exactly to start inputting the 21 commands. I'd greatly appreciate any help regarding the timing and again, I appreciate taking the time out to answer such a scrubby question

Hey what's up. The timing after the teleport is quick and 21 should be inputted during the teleport followed by db4 immediately after. I play on a fight stick so its like playing piano for me. Just get used to flipping your fingers over 21 fast on the controller then immediately db4.

Hey what's up. The timing after the teleport is quick and 21 should be inputted during the teleport followed by db4 immediately after. I play on a fight stick so its like playing piano for me. Just get used to flipping your fingers over 21 fast on the controller then immediately db4.
Thanks man, I followed your advice and it's done wonders for me. I really appreciate the help man.

Don't know what game you guys are playing but when I input 2,1 during the teleport, nothing comes out.
I have to wait for the visual and audio cue that the teleport hit, until I can input 2,1 to extend my combo.
Basically like a very easy link in a SF game.

Just to confirm that I'm not crazy and ProfessorGr1M might be right, I just jumped into training mode and no I'm not crazy, 2,1 does not register during a teleport, you have to input it when the move has actually recovered.

Don't know what game you guys are playing but when I input 2,1 during the teleport, nothing comes out.
I have to wait for the visual and audio cue that the teleport hit, until I can input 2,1 to extend my combo.

Just to confirm that I'm not crazy and ProfessorGr1M might be right, I just jumped into training mode and no I'm not crazy, 2,1 does not register during a teleport, you have to input it when the move has actually recovered.
Hahaha no one is saying you're crazy dude, and I guess it more of a rhythm thing. I was relying on the audio and visual cues as well to Input the 2, 1 command but then I developed a rhythm for it. And yeah, if you input it right after the TP the moves won't come out.

P.S. You have to keep in mind that I'm a grade A nub so take everything I say with a pinch of salt. I mean I just perfected my vortex and 50/50s with scorpion so you can imagine hahaah

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning

This^^

I really cant get 21 after a teleport to come out very much Online :( :( Offline its super super98% of the time easy. Online its like, never :(

Tips?

Like Scooby just mentioned, it's about timing.
If you have done the combo often enough, you stop visually confirming the hits and you're able to do them just by rhythm alone.

Like first you do them to slow, then you fuck them up by doing the combo too fast, and then after doing it often enough, you use the same timing in button presses every single time. That's when you're able to land your combos online through the worst lag conditions.

Also go online hard-wired and not per Wifi.
It's not a huge difference with the horrendous netcode NRS has cursed us, but it helps a little bit.

This^^

I really cant get 21 after a teleport to come out very much Online :( :( Offline its super super98% of the time easy. Online its like, never :(

Tips?
Yeah man it's all about the timing, it get's super frustrating online if you try to time it with the audio/visual cues. For me, the thing that worked was just repeating the move over and over again in practice mode to the point where I wasn't thinking about when I should be inputting the commands and just letting my muscle memory kick in. Funny thing is, that even now if I try and think about the inputs I mess them up around 50% of the time so I have to leave it to my muscle memory. The thing that worked for me was that I would be incorporating these moves in longer combos and as such, would stop thinking about these inputs altogether and would focus more on the final few inputs. I think that somehow that helped me develop the rhythm required to pull these moves off on a consistent basis.

Hope that helps man.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Scorpion may be overall easy to use, but Hellfire Scorpion is much less brain dead. If you come from SF4 then you will feel more at home with his fireball cancel combos. It's akin to focus canceling in SF4 only harder (for me at least).

Scorpion may be overall easy to use, but Hellfire Scorpion is much less brain dead. If you come from SF4 then you will feel more at home with his fireball cancel combos. It's akin to focus canceling in SF4 only harder (for me at least).
I've been meaning to get into the hell fire variation but man I'm bad at this game, my fingers need ages to memorize combos and stuff

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Yeah man it's all about the timing, it get's super frustrating online if you try to time it with the audio/visual cues. For me, the thing that worked was just repeating the move over and over again in practice mode to the point where I wasn't thinking about when I should be inputting the commands and just letting my muscle memory kick in. Funny thing is, that even now if I try and think about the inputs I mess them up around 50% of the time so I have to leave it to my muscle memory. The thing that worked for me was that I would be incorporating these moves in longer combos and as such, would stop thinking about these inputs altogether and would focus more on the final few inputs. I think that somehow that helped me develop the rhythm required to pull these moves off on a consistent basis.

Hope that helps man.
I have zero problem offline, combos are easy, but online its just very tight against many connections :/

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
I've been meaning to get into the hell fire variation but man I'm bad at this game, my fingers need ages to memorize combos and stuff
Yeah, you almost need to forget what you know about SF4 because the combos require speed more so than timing. It's really more similar to the chains in SFxTK if you've had the misfortune of playing that game.

I do a lot of button sliding when I can. For Scorpion's 2, 1, 4, I literally slide my finger from 2 to 1 fast and quickly hit 4. I probably need to slow down a little because sometimes I get the stage interaction, but in actual strings there isn't really waiting or timing. Waiting and timing are more applicable to juggles or after special cancels. I think the combos in MK are stupidly easy compared to SF. For online, I'd suggest going into training and dumbing down your combos with less hits, making them harder to drop.

Yeah, you almost need to forget what you know about SF4 because the combos require speed more so than timing. It's really more similar to the chains in SFxTK if you've had the misfortune of playing that game.

I do a lot of button sliding when I can. For Scorpion's 2, 1, 4, I literally slide my finger from 2 to 1 fast and quickly hit 4. I probably need to slow down a little because sometimes I get the stage interaction, but in actual strings there isn't really waiting or timing. Waiting and timing are more applicable to juggles or after special cancels. I think the combos in MK are stupidly easy compared to SF. For online, I'd suggest going into training and dumbing down your combos with less hits, making them harder to drop.
Yeah, you're right the combos are somewhat easier compared to SF4, but again, it's the disconnect between what's happening on the screen vs what you're inputting that is still a little jarring for me. SF4 has conditioned me to go off of visual aids and think before I commit to a combo, but the whole dial in combo system is soemthing I'm still getting used to.

And yes, you're absolutely right, I also reached the same conclusion that I need to dumb down my combos in order to decrease my chances of dropping them and getting frustrated. In fact, that's one of the reasons I've started playing sub-zero online because his combos are ridiculously easy compared to scorpion and do a TOONNN of damage specially with the cryomancer variation.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Yeah, you're right the combos are somewhat easier compared to SF4, but again, it's the disconnect between what's happening on the screen vs what you're inputting that is still a little jarring for me. SF4 has conditioned me to go off of visual aids and think before I commit to a combo, but the whole dial in combo system is soemthing I'm still getting used to.

And yes, you're absolutely right, I also reached the same conclusion that I need to dumb down my combos in order to decrease my chances of dropping them and getting frustrated. In fact, that's one of the reasons I've started playing sub-zero online because his combos are ridiculously easy compared to scorpion and do a TOONNN of damage specially with the cryomancer variation.
Yes, absolutely. I decided to main Sub Zero, particularly Cryomancer, but I use the other two as well. B2, B2, F4, 2, 1+3 in the corner nets you 37% meterless damage and B3, 3 cancels into ice blast in the corner as well. Sub Zero is great because you can (and should) focus more on mind games and mixups online instead of huge combos. Those F3, 3, slides, as low as the damage is, add up and condition the opponent to block low. That's when you replace the slide with the overhead enhanced ice hammer. I'm sure you know most of these strategies already if you decided to main Sub but I I thought I'd add in some easy execution tips for anyone who might stumble across this thread and hasn't read Tom Brady's guides.

EDIT: just realized I'm in the Scorpion forum... Oops. What I mean by "I decided to main Sub Zero" is uhh... death to Lin Kuei scum!!! Hail Shirai Ryu and the Firefly!!!

Last edited:
Hey guys, wow this thread really went somewhere! Just to update for those still having issues the 21 should be inputted during the teleport "animation" not right after the teleport "input", my bad if that was confusing. You need to find the rhythm which is tough to explain online, practice makes perfect!

Yes, absolutely. I decided to main Sub Zero, particularly Cryomancer, but I use the other two as well. B2, B2, F4, 2, 1+3 in the corner nets you 37% meterless damage and B3, 3 cancels into ice blast in the corner as well. Sub Zero is great because you can (and should) focus more on mind games and mixups online instead of huge combos. Those F3, 3, slides, as low as the damage is, add up and condition the opponent to block low. That's when you replace the slide with the overhead enhanced ice hammer. I'm sure you know most of these strategies already if you decided to main Sub but I I thought I'd add in some easy execution tips for anyone who might stumble across this thread and hasn't read Tom Brady's guides.

EDIT: just realized I'm in the Scorpion forum... Oops. What I mean by "I decided to main Sub Zero" is uhh... death to Lin Kuei scum!!! Hail Shirai Ryu and the Firefly!!!
Hahaha yeah as soon as I wrote my comment I was like whoops, just act as if nothing happened Hashahah. Since we are on the topic though, I use exactly the same stuff which you've mentioned. However, I've yet to find a good use for the over head hammer and the ice blast. I want to incorporate that into my repertoire as well but I just can't see how they can be useful compared to the other stuff available

Train

Noob
I had poblems with 21 spear or MG after the teleport, and I realize you need to wait a split second after the teleport..than go 21 spear or MG...
I was usually getting only 1 hit after teleport, but as soon I realize I need to wait after teleport...I got this 10/10