What's new

Throw defense

xKMMx

Banned
I'm having the hardest time pulling off throw techs. Can anyone please tell me how they lab it? I can do it real easy in the lab but its too ez cause I already know its coming.

The throws are SFV tier OP in MK11 -- even the schmoe$ get thrown over and over (which leads to the fucking embarrassing commentary trope of labelling such gameplay flaw abuse "NICE!"). Which also makes NRS's removal of combo-able throwing, that much more brain-dead -- it was the only fun way to use throws!

So, I wouldn't get too disheartened by it. The only thing you can do is either hone lightening speed reflexes + Sherlock Holmes perspicacity -- practically impossible inside the framework of a predictive game like MK11 -- or learn to read your opponent's patterns ("yomi") and, thereby, increase the percentage of accurately predicting their intention to throw. Some things I've noticed:
  • down-1 will often precede a throw attempt (if close enough), kind of like a "tick throw"
  • a few blocked attacks often precursor a throw attempt, because attacking-minded players (rush-downers) are easily riled by "turtling" / their rote stings not working as intended
  • after a corner knock-down, unless the attacker jumps in anticipation of the floored player doing the same (which can be seen), or dials in meaties, throws are often employed--because they beat the game's go-to (only?) "death korner" escape mechanism: rolling
  • certain characters have greater throw range (Shao Kahn, for one), which makes them more inclined to throw; and those with a KB throw, will be that much more likely to be out on the throw hoe stroll
  • characters without many low-to-overhead, guessing game type mix-up options, will more likely throw, than those who replete with such cheese churner BnB's
Pro-est of tips:
Good luck (...you'll need it!)

Last edited:

freerf245

11 11 11 11
The throws are SFV tier OP in MK11 -- even the schmoe$ get thrown over and over (which leads to the fucking embarrassing commentary trope of labelling such gameplay flaw abuse "NICE!"). Which also makes NRS's removal of combo-able throwing, that much more brain-dead -- it was the only fun way to use throws!

So, I wouldn't get too disheartened by it. The only thing you can do is either hone lightening speed reflexes + Sherlock Holmes perspicacity -- practically impossible inside the framework of a predictive game like MK11 -- or learn to read your opponent's patterns ("yomi") and, thereby, increase the percentage of accurately predicting their intention to throw. Some things I've noticed:
  • down-1 will often precede a throw attempt (if close enough), kind of like a "tick throw"
  • a few blocked attacks often precursor a throw attempt, because attacking-minded players (rush-downers) are easily riled by "turtling" / their rote stings not working as intended
  • after a corner knock-down, unless the attacker jumps in anticipation of the floored player doing the same (which can be seen), or dials in meaties, throws are often employed--because they beat the game's go-to (only?) "death korner" escape mechanism: rolling
  • certain characters have greater throw range (Shao Kahn, for one), which makes them more inclined to throw; and those with a KB throw, will be that much more likely to be out on the throw hoe stroll
  • characters without many low-to-overhead, guessing game type mix-up options, will more likely throw, than those who replete with such cheese churner BnB's
Pro-est of tips:
Good luck (...you'll need it!)
Not quite SFV level because the defensive options are way better. Perfect explanation on how to tech throwss though.

Error404

Noob
Here's the way I do it

• Decide which way you'll be teching
  • Hold block on defense
  • Focus more on your character
  • If you see your character getting hit tech immidiately.
I focus more on my character because a lot of normals look like the start up of a throw.

I'm at about 70% on throw techs and usually when I miss it's because I teched the wrong direction.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Recognize situations where a throw will be most likely and make sure your looking out for it. Then you just got to react to the startup of the throw. The window to tech is way bigger then you think but you have to make sure that you get it into your muscle memory to let go of block before you tech

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I'm not sure how to describe it...I guess just play more and focus on when your individual opponent likes to grab. It's not really something you can lab, but when I was playing DBFZ I would set my opponent to do a long offensive string that had a grab somewhere in there and try to block/tech it all. Keep doing new ones so you keep forgetting what the opponent will do and practice teching. Unfortunately in this game they stuck with the "throws are a 50/50" route.

In SF teching throws is more of a read than a reaction, you just get a feel for when your opponent likes to throw.

Also neutral ducking is very good when you think a throw is coming, especially since punishing with d2 nets you a KB into combo.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Always tech on the direction you have your back against it, which is the direction they are most likely to throw you to if you tech wrong you will get thrown out of the corner, but in MK11 especifically there are characters with KB on both throws, which once per game makes teching throws a lot scarier.

So a good way is to predict situactions where you're likely to get thrown so you can avoid it by neutral duck or short hop, in some cases you can even interrupt such characters.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Ive gotten so many escaped failed's from holding block while i tech lol so now i just duck punish on a read, u can imagine how well that goes :DOGE:REO