What's new

Question - Goro Thoughts on Goros potential Changes

Are these reasonable?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I say Goro is the worst in the game because of match-up numbers. I have imagined Goro to be a chip damage machine and he is decent at doing that.

UNIVERSAL
Pokes - GODLIKE - (D3 could do more reach but whatever)
Punchwalk - is an amazing move. (I wish you could hit confirm the EX and have an option to make the last hit a low or OH)
Telestomp - Needs work. (EX Telestomp should launch and track, the only way out is to run. Non EX leave alone.)
SG - Does not need to throw the opponent away, leaves them right in front of you.
Projectile - Should be a mid since it is SUPER slow.
F3 - Make it 10-11 frames (As it would be the only good advancing Mid he would have.
F21- Faster start up, that string is useless unless you land a JIP.
Remove U1 or U2 - It is the same move and doesn't need to be there 2 times.
D2 - Fix the hit box and make it 9 or 10 frames.
More strings special cancel-able - I would love to see strings like 214 into punchwalk and B121 into Punchwalk.
Make Goro have more Tick Throw setups instead of just B3. (Which is his only low so if you commit to a SG you get punished because it whiffed.)
B3 - please have a sting involving this move, as its -21 or something on block. (Yes you can cancel it to Punchwalk I know)
HitBox on B12U1 - The whiffing on JIP into this sting is annoying.

KW Variation
Ground Pound - Should be able to link after strings. (Over 50 frames of start up so it is easy to escape.) EX Ground Pound has faster startup, -10 frames
Chest Lunge - Fine (Maybe give EX a chance to combo when opponent is thrown into the corner.

Tigrar Fury
Fire Breath - Make it so F3 into FlameBreath is a true link. But opponent can armor after FB.
Fire Ball Projectile - Fine - Make EX go Low, Mid, High just like Erron Blacks Rifle shots. Also Give option for Full screen fireball.

Dragon Fangs
Never really gave a though to play so I do not know.

Now, by no means do I think Goro is not viable in tournament play, Goro is a super fun character to play and is one of my most favorite characters to play in MKX, I just think the options are limited compared to the rest of the cast.

Also Boon just signed my 1993 MK Malibu Comic. (This is the reason why I like Goro, I have had this for about 18-20 years)

So these are the changes I would love to see happen to Goro. What are your thoughts.

Last edited:

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I say Goro is the worst in the game because of match-up numbers. I have imagined Goro to be a chip damage machine and he is decent at doing that.

UNIVERSAL
Pokes - GODLIKE - (D3 could do more reach but whatever)
Punchwalk - is an amazing move. (I wish you could hit confirm the EX and have an option to make the last hit a low or OH)
Telestomp - Needs work. (EX Telestomp should launch and track, the only way out is to run. Non EX leave alone.)
SG - Does not need to throw the opponent away, leaves them right in front of you.
Projectile - Should be a mid since it is SUPER slow.
F3 - Make it 10-11 frames (As it would be the only good advancing Mid he would have.
F21- Faster start up, that string is useless unless you land a JIP.
Remove U1 or U2 - It is the same move and doesn't need to be there 2 times.
D2 - Fix the hit box and make it 9 or 10 frames.
More strings special cancel-able - I would love to see strings like 214 into punchwalk and B121 into Punchwalk.
Make Goro have more Tick Throw setups instead of just B3. (Which is his only low so if you commit to a SG you get punished because it whiffed.)
B3 - please have a sting involving this move, as its -21 or something on block. (Yes you can cancel it to Punchwalk I know)
HitBox on B12U1 - The whiffing on JIP into this sting is annoying.

KW Variation
Ground Pound - Should be able to link after strings. (Over 50 frames of start up so it is easy to escape.) EX Ground Pound has faster startup, -10 frames
Chest Lunge - Fine (Maybe give EX a chance to combo when opponent is thrown into the corner.

Tigrar Fury
Fire Breath - Make it so F3 into FlameBreath is a true link. But opponent can armor after FB.
Fire Ball Projectile - Fine - Make EX go Low, Mid, High just like Erron Blacks Rifle shots. Also Give option for Full screen fireball.

Dragon Fangs
Never really gave a though to play so I do not know.

Now, by no means do I think Goro is not viable in tournament play, Goro is a super fun character to play and is one of my most favorite characters to play in MKX, I just think the options are limited compared to the rest of the cast.

Also Boon just signed my 1993 MK Malibu Comic. (This is the reason I like Goro, I have had this for about 18-20 years)

So these are the changes I would love to see happen to Goro. What are your thoughts.
Honestly I just want u1/U2 to anti-air fucking everything. It's a goddamn four-armed uppercut.

PS sick you got that signed after so long!

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
As far as absolutely necessary: B12u2 whiffing issues need to be addressed

What I want 2nd most: his d2 or his u1/u2 need to be made fearsome anti air

Musings on the rest and personal opinion:
with adv buffed on sg i don't think we need any more changes there, except maybe a faster walk/run.

KW: I'd accept the ground pound buff but it feels more like a quality of life buff as opposed to necessary

Tigrar getting either of those would be great, giving his full screen presence a bit more teeth so to speak, but I think f3 flame linking would be the bigger buff. From outside of sweep distance you could start pressure.... *jizz

I would like to see Fangs' normals do additional damage on chip and hit to really highlight why it's worth choosing over the other 2

For the f3, I think you may be asking for too much, given the range and the utility of the move

I would like to see 1 or (preferably) 2 be a mid so we have a more reliable way to work pressure

Interesting perspective for sure. I think Goro is a tough case for balancing because he's a few tweaks away from being a monster if they're not careful

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
I do not use Goro, so I can't really comment on the specific changes. But, I would like to see him become more viable [with some tweaks], He's f%cking Goro, general of the armies of outworld and prince of the subterranean realm of Shokan!

I think he'd be a monster in 3 changes:

1. B1-2-U2 hits consistently
2. Shokan Grab/Stabs gets a bigger grab box for AA (seriously, it's a 4 armed grab, you should be able to catch the moon).
3. Stabs/Grab gets an easier input (that's just me probably, but it's a pain in the ass sometimes).

He won't be free to jump ins (and gets the large frame advantage from this buff), his launcher will actually be viable, and I won't be whiffing grabs into jumps. Thoughts?

Nice, i play all Goro variations but since i main Dragon Fangs ill give them a shot, let me know what you guys think.
Dragon Fangs is Goros "rush down" vaitiation. So with that im mind i would suggest these changes:

Dragon Fangs:

DB2: - Make this move the begining of a string that launches, currently it has not real use imo
Fang Spin: - Make this move Meter Burnable at the end in the same way bycicle kick is, so im not wasting a meter to make this move worse if its blocked. Also the move should knock down in front of Goro rather than hitting them 2/3 of the screen away since you get no follow up.
Shokan Stabs: - Same as your grab change, leave them close to Goro so that theyre not immediately out of all your pressure when you use it.
212: - his only new string in this variation. make it cancelable and not have the last hit knock full screen
f21b2: - change this string in this variation to be a fast advancing mid attack similar to Kotal's f1b2

i think thats all i can reasonably ask for :) if i was going to be un-reasonable id ask for a new move:

BF2: - Spin move similar to Lao's that can anti air everything lol

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Dragon Fang foot stab input needs to change to DF2 so it doesn't overlap with the spin. I wouldn't mind a 2 frame speed buff and/or hard knockdown as well since it's extremely punishable on whiff, but the input change is the big one I'd like to see.

I agree on most, but:
Not a fan of your KW buffs. I think he is fine as is.
I would rather have the armor buff vs. speed buff for U1/2 and D2, but a buff is a buff if it serves the same purpose.
I'd rather have them speed the start-up and cooldown by 1 frame (2 frames total) on all Tigrar moves. Simple to explain and easy to execute.
I like the MB idea, but it may be hard to execute. Maybe just give it armor and say it's an anti-air. Done.

Last edited:
I want to play goro but he's terrible so I never started. If your changes make him strong then I'm for them. I don't think NRS really cares about goro. It's a shame too because pre release they made goro and punch walk seem OP as hell. Goro would be more hype being a top tier than any of the ones we have now, besides raiden of course

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I want to play goro but he's terrible so I never started. If your changes make him strong then I'm for them. I don't think NRS really cares about goro. It's a shame too because pre release they made goro and punch walk seem OP as hell. Goro would be more hype being a top tier than any of the ones we have now, besides raiden of course
I do not think Goro is terrible, he just lacks options against half of the cast and that destroys him. I entered in the team tournament at CEO with Goro and I was the sole representative for this character using all 3 variations. My first and only matchup was against Kung Lao ( Which to me seems like an 8-2) and it honestly feels super hard to open people up with this character.

Not saying he needs 50/50s, I like the options he has now. To me it just seems hard to to open someone up when the only thing you have to end a string is punchwalk. More Tick Throw setups and a better / faster mid and I would be happy.

Zephyrus

TYM resident party pooper
Les start up frames on f+21
Faster running speed
Less start up frames on u+2
Less start up frames on b+21
Make punchwalk able to 2in1 much like Liu kang's flame fist's fbf+4 (luxury buff. Would give him some meterless damage that didn't require you to initiate the combo with b+2)

Give him that and he becomes viable

Vagrant

Noob
I say Goro is the worst in the game because of match-up numbers.

Telestomp - Needs work. (EX Telestomp should launch and track,)
F3 - Make it 10-11 frames

What are your thoughts.
My thoughts:

Please stop posting your balance suggestions.
They are beyond unreasonable. They're just flat out silly.

All this thread does is tell me that you are currently incapable of analyzing this character or the balance in this game with any semblance of logic or reason whatsoever.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
My thoughts:

Please stop posting your balance suggestions.
They are beyond unreasonable. They're just flat out silly.

All this thread does is tell me that you are currently incapable of analyzing this character or the balance in this game with any semblance of logic or reason whatsoever.
Beyond unreasonable? Please elaborate.

So to all of the Goro players that think Goro is perfectly fine and is SUPER Viable in his current build, Please go to EVO and prove me wrong.

Come on this is a little ridiculous lol.

Only ones I can agree with are f21 being a bit quicker, and b12U1 being a bit more consistent. I do feel he needs some better movement as well. But a 50/50 punchwalk? Basically an advancing 50/50 with two hits of armor. And a double 50/50 in the corner. (string then ex punchwalk) Ex telestomp has uses as an anti air, but does NOT need to launch lol. Tick throw setups with his command grab aren't possible like that because of the speed, it's a 7 frame command grab. Godlike pokes do not need buffs.

Don't really feel like addressing the rest but please at least be reasonable?

Edit: No one is saying he's top 10 or anything, but does need a bit of work. But making everything into a launcher and making some tools just straight broken isn't exactly the answer.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I agree he is probably the worst. Then reptile.. IMO all he needs is a faster run speed and one or two more tick throws and he would be more than able to compete

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Come on this is a little ridiculous lol.

Only ones I can agree with are f21 being a bit quicker, and b12U1 being a bit more consistent. I do feel he needs some better movement as well. But a 50/50 punchwalk? Basically an advancing 50/50 with two hits of armor. And a double 50/50 in the corner. (string then ex punchwalk) Ex telestomp has uses as an anti air, but does NOT need to launch lol. Tick throw setups with his command grab aren't possible like that because of the speed, it's a 7 frame command grab. Godlike pokes do not need buffs.

Don't really feel like addressing the rest but please at least be reasonable?

Edit: No one is saying he's top 10 or anything, but does need a bit of work. But making everything into a launcher and making some tools just straight broken isn't exactly the answer.
It's almost like you didn't read anything.

But what do I know, I am the only one to actually use Goro in Tournament play, and try to be optimistic about this character.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Hey now... I gave my change suggestions already. :p Input change for Dragon Fangs was my biggest request, nobody can criticize me there... unless you all now going to say I'm a noob and need to input things perfectly...

Hey now... I gave my change suggestions already. :p Input change for Dragon Fangs was my biggest request, nobody can criticize me there... unless you all now going to say I'm a noob and need to input things perfectly...
On stick it's fine, but on pad I can see how it'd be an annoying input.

Status
Not open for further replies.