What's new

General/Other - Hellfire Thoughs on Hellfire Scorpion

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
If you still haven't got any idea of how to work with Hellfire, read my whole post.

Hellfire is potentially the most technical variation Scorpion has to offer in MKX, If we go on a scale of comparison with his others, hellfire is a low risk/High reward compared to the rest of his variations, and has some pretty exclusive options.

But before you pick Hellfire to play at higher levels, know that Hellfire can be, very High execution demanding, the very High execution impact allows Scorpion to:
Use combo links, similar to the street fighter type, by using run canceling.
Has a 1 frame link special move
Conditioning the opponent to second guess their options

Fortunately though Hellfire requires so much for execution to work well, the only way i've found to lessen this impact just a tiny bit, is playing with a arcade stick instead of using a DS4.
You must to turn it off, the release check and the Input Shortcuts options.

By disabling the option of negative edge, you can freely cancel 21 into flame aura without having a fireball coming out, and doing B3 into fireball cancels or flame aura without a teleport coming out.
By disabling input shortcuts, you won't have to worry about running with a D3 without having a random teleport coming out.
So you will have to be precise on timing and execution.
This is what i'm using to play MKX

Now this is my buttons layouts on the stick.
Square: 1
Trinagle: 2
X: 3
O: 4
R1: BLOCK
L1: Stance
R2:Interact
L2: Throw (actually i hardly use it, i preffer 1+2 for throws, a button for throws is stupid IMO)

As you see, i have block right up where i can see them, this allows me to easily cancel 21 strings and B3 strings into FBCs without having to use the muscle memory of shoulder buttons the DS4 offers.
I can understand Slips frustration, the timing on the B3~FB~RC~2... is really REALLY frustrating to get.
However, 21~fb~rc~21 is 10 times more easier (on a stick) it didn't took me like 3 hours to start doing those, even if can't do them consistent yet, it has proven to be just a matter of time.

Run Canceling:
If scorpion links one run canceling on hit, even if he lands a full combo afterwards, he won't be able to do it again even when his stamina recovers, so you will have to do one per combo, if you think you have execution to do so.
B3~Fbc~21 works better in the corner not midscreen.
21~fbc~2... works midscreen and corner and is much easier to execute or connect.

Coin Flip
Scorpion can still take risky reads if he has too.
Since Scorpion can 214~fbc~d3/throw or blockstring, the opponent might think about this and try to anticipate you with a back dash (if he can) to escape your mixups, you can still do 214~fb~backdash to stay safe.
Or you can blow them up with B3~exSpear or 214 exSpear on block if you think they will try to interrupt it.

Hellball - the fireball move from this variation, is mostly used for canceling.
Demon Fire: This variation can keep characters on their toys, sometimes they're so worried about respecting flame aura, that you will occasionally sneak a demon fire once in a while when they think "Shit, time to back away"

But the most important aspect of hellfire is the flame aura

Flame aura works in a similar function as Kung Lao's Spin, its not 6 frames, but once it activates anything that reaches the heat non armored will be brought down to the scorpions feet for a 1 frame link combo, also is much easier to link a flame aura when hits as anti-air than in the ground. So Flame aura is a defensive move and you can use every single time it runs out

The flame aura is threat enough for people to carefully time their wakeups when jumping or aproaching, it blocks off running, jumping, and makes counter poking scorpion a very scary decision.

Flame aura is also a combo extender and is a very dangerous tool in the corner or out of NJPs, and while scorpion activates it his damage output also increases for a while, flame aura can be your best friend if you happen to have very fast reactions, or better a good sense of anticipation:

1: Anti-Air (on good ranges as crossups it will recapture them anywhere, this option makes hellfire one of the scaries characters to jump head on)
2: Counter Running (if you can anticipate a sudden approach this will stop them for coming at you head on)
3: Anti-Wake up (tricking them into think you delayed your wakeup, if they jump trying to hit you on wakeup this will recapture them
4: Uses as KL's spin (forcing them to block a D3 into standing 2 can be interrupted with a 5f normal, but d3 into flame aura moves scorpion away from the range, so if they try to move immediately they will be captured by the heat, and in some conditions is so unnecpected that it makes even harder to punish.
5: Use as a Meaty (If you feel someone can wakeup with a low profile attack to avoid standing 2, flame aura

Flame aura is also a great combo extender, reset oportunities, baiter, and frame trapper

It can also be a great tool to play the exact oposite of what their expect, you can use the threat of flame aura to counter flame aura counter tendencies:

Tendencies of Flame Aura uses:
1: Anti-Air (on good ranges as crossups it will recapture them anywhere, this option makes hellfire one of the scaries characters to jump head on)
Bait dive attacks, NJP jump ins, Run under attacks that intend to bait flame aura
2: Counter Running (if you can anticipate a sudden approach this will stop them for coming at you head on)
Demon fire to blow characters who will stop with the intent of baiting flame aura to whiff, they also enter the range of B3 and F2 often, TELEPORT lalala
3: Anti-Wake up (tricking them into think you delayed your wakeup, if they jump trying to hit you on wakeup this will recapture them
Getting up without flame aura or teleport, afraid of the possibily ot being blown by 1 or the other, so you use none
4: Uses as KL's spin (forcing them to block a D3 into standing 2 can be interrupted with a 5f normal, but d3 into flame aura moves scorpion away from the range, so if they try to move immediately they will be captured by the heat, and in some conditions is so unnecpected that it makes even harder to punish.
Bait attacks, or whiff punish
5: Use as a Meaty (If you feel someone can wakeup with a low profile attack to avoid standing 2, flame aura
Use a safer meaty, or use throw, they're expecting you to flame aura

Basically Flame aura keeps opponents away from you, its a counter tool, however as KL spin flame aura can be really riskier when blocked up close, or when it whiffs, yet this is the safest Scorpion for me, i've done over 3 hours playing this variation and did pretty well against players who had the game longer before me as Roque who is a great neutral game player.

Summing up, hellfire is the scorpion variation that can force people to stay mobile due the hellfire and fireball threat, just to watch them hanging themselves with a defensive tool that is designed to catch you once you become very mobile, so he expose movement, decisions and most important, the mind games are off the chart.

Here is some of my combos (be wary that flame aura into standing 2 has some sort of weird timing, which makes me believe is +10 on hit which grants a standing 1 as a 1 frame link.)

Some of the good combos hellfire can offer.
214~tp, 21~spear, 21~flame aura, 21~tp (Mix up oportunity)
aaFlame Aura~214~tp, 21~spear, Ji1,21~tp...
aaFlame Aura~21~fbc~214~tp, 21~spear, Ji1, 21~Flame Aura, 21~tp (very thigh link, they must get caught by the heat, by the end you will be able to do another one)
Flame Aura ( anti-ground),214~tp, 21~spear, Ji1,21~tp

21~214~tp, 21~spear, Ji1, 21~flame aura, 21~tp...

Whiff punishing with NJP midscreen
NJP, dash, Flame Aura~214~tp,21~spear,21~tp

Ex Teleport punisher
exTp, Run, 214~tp, 21~spear,21~flame aura~21~tp.

Air teleport hits in the corner
Flame Aura (recapture)... build your combo from there.

Corner
214~flame aura~214~tp, 21~spear, 21~tp.

Tomorrow i will play more a bit of it, and honestly i feel more confortable using hellfire than his other variations.

I've played all 3 btw, and generated some mad neutral game by the end of the day, Natgil has Casual scheduled for next sunday, we might be able to record some games there.

Hellfire for the win.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Really nice write up man, I agree that Hellfire has got some serious potential to those who master the execution necessary to use it to its full effectiveness. I had not though of using flame aura for some of the purposes you listed, will spend tomorrow in training mode trying these out.

Looking forward to seeing your Hellfire Scorpion in action.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Nice Nice, I'm gonna start training this in the lab and see if I can't dig up anything else. I had a HELL of a lot of trouble against a D'Vorah (venomous due to her d/f+1 and overhead/range options up close) and had the most success even though I had no true clue what to do yet with Hellfire, mostly using basic FG knowledge to bait jumps for anti-air or get them to duck since they blocked a lot of demons with inferno last night. Takeda gave me a bit of trouble at certain distance air to air but fireball cancels into throws worked for me and I haven't used hellfire in actual combat or had heavy knowledge. I'm used to technical as I play Jin in Tekken so I'm also used to execution and fast thought. I get the feeling this will end up being my go-to variation even if it needs more work off the bat than inferno.

Traitor

Noob
How does this flame aura works? When i am trying to make a combo at practise it is working great, but when i am trying to put whole combo against opponent he can block everything after flame aura

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Nice write up, Eddy. For those wondering, I'm doing all sorts of fancy rapid fireball cancels just fine on a pad. It's a Hori though, the DS4 feels terrible for cancelling to me because of the triggers.

Great write up. I've been focusing most of my training mode time on Hellfire too. I actually switched from my stick to the PS4 controller to make the fireball cancels easier and more consistent.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
How does this flame aura works? When i am trying to make a combo at practise it is working great, but when i am trying to put whole combo against opponent he can block everything after flame aura
The link is thigh but can be done, just try to find the input leniency of the move a few times a day.

Awesome find! A few days ago, a friend of mine maining HF scorpion posted this in our local group; forgive the day 1 scrubbiness but I hope this'll help in discussing this topic :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=dMczMgJpIOE
Yes i've seen this one.
As you can see in the end, after he connect 21~fbc~21 he tries again, but the game tells him that Scorpion already did this so he can no longer cancel it anymore.

Kedra

Noob
You also do an almost two flame auras in a combo in this variation. Wicked though
Have yet to see a flame ball combo lol

The link is thigh but can be done, just try to find the input leniency of the move a few times a day.

Yes i've seen this one.
As you can see in the end, after he connect 21~fbc~21 he tries again, but the game tells him that Scorpion already did this so he can no longer cancel it anymore.
This doesn't do quite since to how Johnny Cage's A-List comparison on cancels, so better on his.
Sad to how it should let only two run cancels than only one as blank consecutive runs only goes twice only.
This canceling restriction also applys on Raiden's Thunder God variation with the same fireball canceling.

FOXSOLID

Noob
Man my ONE issue is I cannot for the life of me consistently combo after flame aura. It breaks chain all the time. The timing is really weird man.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Its good write up Eddy. As You I am mostly interested in Scorpion (as i was playing him a lot in past months in MK9) but from what i've seen I think i will start heavy with Ninjitsu variant and Inferno. In MK9 I was able to form a less risk style play focusing on punishers and AA into teleport combos and later in the game (depends on the entire match situation) go with 50/50 risky mixups, patient footsie game with his shitty normals. I hope Scorpion wont have issues like the MU against Sonya or Cyrax here. He seems to have much more tools and hopefully the proprietaries will be/are proper (priority wise) unlike it was when You use a spear and get fucked out of it etc. So most likely You will see me often in this neighborhood. I hope I wont be limited by the DS4 cause I havent played on AS in years.

I've been playing alot of hell fire having trouble using his flame aura in a combo without it dropping after. If anyone has some good set ups it would be much appreciated.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The 21~214 link feels impossible. I can't even link a d1 after 21. Any tips?
Practice.

I get it easier because i have Release Check and Input shortcuts off and i play on an arcade stick, so my speed and execution are really fast and precise.

Practice.

I get it easier because i have Release Check and Input shortcuts off and i play on an arcade stick, so my speed and execution are really fast and precise.
I even tried using the turbo function on my stick just to see the timing and it never worked. If its +10 on hit, I figured a d1 link would be easy at least but apparently not. I guess its back to grinding.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I gotta practice FB cancel more. I'm still not fast enough with it from what I see others do (I'm on pad too) he seems to dash or pause visibly still when I attempt it

Flame aura is much better than I thought. I've started really using it as a defensive tool and it has been working great. I've even managed to catch sub-zero's slide with it a couple times.

Also If somebody could record the 21~214 link I would really appreciate it. Seeing the timing would help a lot. I can hit one frame links in SF4 without plinking sometimes. I haven't hit this once in two days. I'm really feeling like I must be misunderstanding something.

Wylwy

Noob
I'm sorry if this is known tech for everyone but i dind't find it posted so i'm just adding my cent. I'm starting with Hellfire and while i was in trainning mode i did by mistake a fake tp. The weird thing is that Scorpion never appeared from the other side of the screen, remained in the same side but at a full-screen distance. After few tests i learned that if you do DB3 + D fast enough this will happen. Could be nice to make some escapes.

I'm sorry if this is known tech for everyone but i dind't find it posted so i'm just adding my cent. I'm starting with Hellfire and while i was in trainning mode i did by mistake a fake abtp. good if The weird thing is that Scorpion never appeared from the other side of the screen, remained in the same side but at a full-screen distance. After few tests i learned that if you do DB3 + D fast enough this will happen. Could be nice to make some escapes.
Its just a teleport cancel. Nothing special. It tells you in the Moves List how to reproduce it. Hold B puts you at full distance and Hold D crosses up but leaves you right next to your opponent. Only useful if you if youre applying pressure and they block the hit confirm before a teleport, then you should Teleport Cancel, at the cost of Stamina. You can also cancel to full screen if trying to create space too, but remember, canceling teleports requires Stamina.

Last edited:
I'm torn between inferno and hellfire. Both do great damage minion grab is very useful for extending combos but the other minons seem useless aside from being full screen or trying to anti air them. Hellfire is awesome but Idk if ill ever be able to pull that brutality off in a real fight lol.