What's new

"This Game is Broken and/or Dead"

NOT
I'm sick of this being thrown around everywhere. To clarify, MK9 is NOT dead, and it is NOT broken enough to justify quitting. (For those of you who haven't already guessed, this is a vent/rant)​
I don't care what gets discovered that makes this game seem so awfully broken, NOTHING that's "broken" or unbalanced in this game should be a big enough deal for ANYBODY to quit. If this game was so broken, how come we saw a Smoke, a Skarlet, and a Shang do so well at FR? The answer is obviously because the game isn't broken enough to be ridiculously unbalanced. Whether you're a top player who believes this or an average player like me, this is absolutely no reason to quit this game.​
I know it's easy to get discouraged when you lose, or you see something crazy like infinite blockstrings, or seeing things like Cyrax phantom bombs, but these do not make the game insanely broken enough for people to quit. Recently, we've been seeing players who use fairly balanced characters do very well in major tournaments. If the game was so broken and unbalanced, this shouldn't be possible and only people who abuse the "broken" characters would have been trumping these tournaments all the way. In an attempt to sober these peoples' heads up:​
Anything be it resets or new crazy tech, does not make the game unbalanced enough to justify quitting. Losing constantly and consistently shouldn't be an excuse either, and losing and quitting and justifying all that on the game being broken is lying to yourself as well as the community.
When one player decides to quit the game and say it's dead - whether or not it's true - it causes a chain reaction of people quitting because they think that one player was right. As a result, we see a lot of status updates, and tweets, and public announcements that the game is dead and nobody's playing any more. There are a lot of other reasons why these pop up, but I want to specifically talk about this one.​
This game is very much alive and a lot of smart people with cool heads that sit on this forum know that. There are so damn many people who think they should just quit for stupid reasons, it just brings the stock of the game down. This gives people both in and out of the community a really distorted picture to what's going on, and enough of it will make the distorted picture a reality. I know it sounds corny, but the fate of the game is in your own hands. Don't quit it for a dumbass reason that you didn't even explore mentally in your brain or physically in the game.​
Sorry if this thread isn't thorough enough or it's a tough read. I'm typing this at school because I have like a three hour break between classes and I just wanted to get this out there. Agree with it, disagree with it, whatever, I probably won't look back on it. Feels good to get it out of my chest. Have fun with the game everyone. Both Injustice, MK9, and whatever other fighters/games you play. Always remember to have fun.​

RYX

BIG PUSHER
smoke is pretty fucking dumb. I think Skarlet is too but she's okay.

They did better because the PLAYERS WERE BETTER. Does not guarantee a win because you can do Cyrax's resets.

Guys, please don't make this a "Which character is broken" thread ._.

The point of this thread is to stress how insignificant that is and how it's not a huge deal ._.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
That's one of the implicit points in this thread.
Not really. You seem to think that a broken character means they'll automatically win everything. Some of these characters are terribly broken but they lose because the people using them are either bad or don't use their broken shit to its fullest.

Player skill > broken characters

Not really. You seem to think that a broken character means they'll automatically win everything. Some of these characters are terribly broken but they lose because the people using them are either bad or don't use their broken shit to its fullest.

Player skill > broken characters
I'm writing this for an audience that thinks a broken character means they'll automatically win. Or just let that broken character get them so shocked that they feel like quitting when in practice it's not that big a deal. Read it again with perspective.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Filthy Casuals™ lame excuse for being terrible at the game. They don't realize they'll probably suck at the next game too.

Jean-Luc Picard is broke.

Matix218

Get over here!
The way I see it, for all of the broken or unpolished things in this game that people constantly complain about (be it, input bug, P1 adv, resets, meter drain, Kabal (lol), random advantage, etc) rarely have come into play in literally causing a player to win a major tournament match let alone winning an entire tournament. Anyone that says that Wafflez only won FR due to smoke and his resets being broken are just ignorant of this game and how difficult certain matches are for smoke. I realize that some of these complaints are legitimate and some of the things above are definitely problems (specifically the input bug which really is inexcusable and also the inescapable resets which without question DO cause rounds to be won that potentially would not have been) but most of the other things really are not enough to warrant someone wanting to quit the game.

Of course, who am I to say someone shouldn't quit a game, after all, it is a GAME! If the person is not having fun, whatever the reason, they should be able to quit since really the whole point of video games, even ones that have a competitive scene, is to have a good time.

For me personally, MK9 is my favorite fighting game of all time and up there with my favorite video games of all time. I may not be the best player but I am proud of how I have learned and improved over the life of this game (from going 0-2 at my first 2 majors to going 1-2 at last years summer jam and eventually 3-2 at this years NEC) and I have never wanted to strive to get better at a game the way I have with MK9. You could consider me a MK fanboy without question (I have always liked the MK games, characters, lore, etc) but there is definitely something special/different about MK9 for me that separates it from all previous MK games.

I am looking forward to (and I plan on playing) Injustice, but I really doubt that it will have that same feeling for me that I got with MK9. It may even be a more polished and less "broken" game but even with that being the case, I really doubt that it will ever come close to topping MK9 for me personally. I plan on playing MK9 for a long time and I really hope that other people feel the same. I hope that we don't see this game die completely for a long time. I am sure that the real MK9 fans like myself (and many others on this site) will continue to play this game long after Injustice is released and hopefully for years to come (the numbers will be small but it will still be a ton of fun to play at tournaments).

Anyway, I kind of went off on random points there but all in all I don't think that the things in this game that are broken are bad enough to take away from the things in this game that are awesome. As an MK fan and fighting game player, MK9 far exceeded my expectations and it is for me, the definitive Mortal Kombat game.

I make a thread about how a broken character doesn't matter and does more damage in theory than in practice.

People come running saying that which character they feel is broken.

wat

The way I see it, for all of the broken or unpolished things in this game that people constantly complain about (be it, input bug, P1 adv, resets, meter drain, Kabal (lol), random advantage, etc) rarely have come into play in literally causing a player to win a major tournament match let alone winning an entire tournament. Anyone that says that Wafflez only won FR due to smoke and his resets being broken are just ignorant of this game and how difficult certain matches are for smoke. I realize that some of these complaints are legitimate and some of the things above are definitely problems (specifically the input bug which really is inexcusable and also the inescapable resets which without question DO cause rounds to be won that potentially would not have been) but most of the other things really are not enough to warrant someone wanting to quit the game.

Of course, who am I to say someone shouldn't quit a game, after all, it is a GAME! If the person is not having fun, whatever the reason, they should be able to quit since really the whole point of video games, even ones that have a competitive scene, is to have a good time.

For me personally, MK9 is my favorite fighting game of all time and up there with my favorite video games of all time. I may not be the best player but I am proud of how I have learned and improved over the life of this game (from going 0-2 at my first 2 majors to going 1-2 at last years summer jam and eventually 3-2 at this years NEC) and I have never wanted to strive to get better at a game the way I have with MK9. You could consider me a MK fanboy without question (I have always liked the MK games, characters, lore, etc) but there is definitely something special/different about MK9 for me that separates it from all previous MK games.

I am looking forward to (and I plan on playing) Injustice, but I really doubt that it will have that same feeling for me that I got with MK9. It may even be a more polished and less "broken" game but even with that being the case, I really doubt that it will ever come close to topping MK9 for me personally. I plan on playing MK9 for a long time and I really hope that other people feel the same. I hope that we don't see this game die completely for a long time. I am sure that the real MK9 fans like myself (and many others on this site) will continue to play this game long after Injustice is released and hopefully for years to come (the numbers will be small but it will still be a ton of fun to play at tournaments).

Anyway, I kind of went off on random points there but all in all I don't think that the things in this game that are broken are bad enough to take away from the things in this game that are awesome. As an MK fan and fighting game player, MK9 far exceeded my expectations and it is for me, the definitive Mortal Kombat game.
This. All of this <3

Also, I don't think your points and shared experiences are random at all. Everything you said was well put and relevant to the topic.

da truff

da truff will set you free...
NOT
I'm sick of this being thrown around everywhere. To clarify, MK9 is NOT dead, and it is NOT broken enough to justify quitting. (For those of you who haven't already guessed, this is a vent/rant)​
I don't care what gets discovered that makes this game seem so awfully broken, NOTHING that's "broken" or unbalanced in this game should be a big enough deal for ANYBODY to quit. If this game was so broken, how come we saw a Smoke, a Skarlet, and a Shang do so well at FR? The answer is obviously because the game isn't broken enough to be ridiculously unbalanced. Whether you're a top player who believes this or an average player like me, this is absolutely no reason to quit this game.​
I know it's easy to get discouraged when you lose, or you see something crazy like infinite blockstrings, or seeing things like Cyrax phantom bombs, but these do not make the game insanely broken enough for people to quit. Recently, we've been seeing players who use fairly balanced characters do very well in major tournaments. If the game was so broken and unbalanced, this shouldn't be possible and only people who abuse the "broken" characters would have been trumping these tournaments all the way. In an attempt to sober these peoples' heads up:​
Anything be it resets or new crazy tech, does not make the game unbalanced enough to justify quitting. Losing constantly and consistently shouldn't be an excuse either, and losing and quitting and justifying all that on the game being broken is lying to yourself as well as the community.
When one player decides to quit the game and say it's dead - whether or not it's true - it causes a chain reaction of people quitting because they think that one player was right. As a result, we see a lot of status updates, and tweets, and public announcements that the game is dead and nobody's playing any more. There are a lot of other reasons why these pop up, but I want to specifically talk about this one.​
This game is very much alive and a lot of smart people with cool heads that sit on this forum know that. There are so damn many people who think they should just quit for stupid reasons, it just brings the stock of the game down. This gives people both in and out of the community a really distorted picture to what's going on, and enough of it will make the distorted picture a reality. I know it sounds corny, but the fate of the game is in your own hands. Don't quit it for a dumbass reason that you didn't even explore mentally in your brain or physically in the game.​
Sorry if this thread isn't thorough enough or it's a tough read. I'm typing this at school because I have like a three hour break between classes and I just wanted to get this out there. Agree with it, disagree with it, whatever, I probably won't look back on it. Feels good to get it out of my chest. Have fun with the game everyone. Both Injustice, MK9, and whatever other fighters/games you play. Always remember to have fun.​
so most of the top kabals not showing up to final round means the game is balanced? yea we hear u...

Matix218

Get over here!
so most of the top kabals not showing up to final round means the game is balanced? yea we hear u...
I disagree with this, basically Reo and Curbo were not there, but Cat and PL were both there. Also Pig and Jeremiah were there with Kenshi which most people complain is a broken character and none of the players I have listed made top 3. That has nothing to do with those guys not being awesome with their characters but on this day they were simply outplayed by other players (none of which play Kabal or Kenshi). Granted, I totally agree that Kabal is top in this game, you basically cannot even argue otherwise with his unbelievable toolset and lack of a single losing matchup but FR was proof that not every tournament is going to be won by one of the characters that people consider the "top 3" even if there are good players that use those characters at the tournament. When the most recent MK major (which with the exception of the NY guys not being there was obviously still stacked with competition) has a Skarlet, Shang and Smoke as the top 3 finishing characters, that is a GOOD THING for our game and our community. It is basically an insult to the guys that did well (and some of the guys who use top tier that didn't do well) at Final Round to say that: "Well, the results are irrelevant because some of the top Kabals didn't show up." The game may not be the most balanced (look at the other popular fighting games cough *Marvel* cough and honestly tell me they are balanced) but it at least has several characters that when taken to the limit are still competitive in a tournament setting. We VERY commonly have almost 8 different characters in Major top 8s which I doubt can be said for many other fighting games. I just get sick of hearing "Kabal, Kabal, Kenshi, Kabal" in every post/complaint on this forum. Yes, we know they are the top characters but we are still seeing other characters doing well so why do we have to harp on this so much??