What's new

They need to bring back Hara-Kiris

Rizz091

Noob
This popped up in my head the other day, but does anyone miss the MK Deception Hara-Kiris ? Especially now a days, when you lose a kombat league match, you're opponent is a jerk. So he does what? Tbag tbag tbag, as long as possible, then fatality right? And you just have to sit there, or you can quit. But the thought of being able to just stop all that, and off yourself feels nice. Now if they wanna use a fatality/friendship, they gotta just do it, or else the loser will get their hara-kiri off first. Which was really nice back in the Deception days. Anyone agree?

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
I don't find suicide entertaining, call me a pussy or whatever, but I'd rather just get a tournament mode with no finishing moves.

My vote is no.

I see this suggestion brought up often but I really dislike the idea of taking the opponent's victory toast away from them. I also believe this is likely why they didn't return.
Is it rude to teabag and do flips running the timer down and then fatal blow? Yes, but that person still earned their opportunity because they won the match.
I totally understand why you wouldn't want to sit through that being on the losing side, but I have to side with winning the match instead of being compensated for losing.

This is also coming from someone who sweeps at the finish 99% of the time unless I got a brutality; I may not want to watch your Hara-Kiri any more than you want to watch my Fatality or Friendship.

Rizz091

Noob
My vote is no.

I see this suggestion brought up often but I really dislike the idea of taking the opponent's victory toast away from them. I also believe this is likely why they didn't return.
Is it rude to teabag and do flips running the timer down and then fatal blow? Yes, but that person still earned their opportunity because they won the match.
I totally understand why you wouldn't want to sit through that being on the losing side, but I have to side with winning the match instead of being compensated for losing.

This is also coming from someone who sweeps at the finish 99% of the time unless I got a brutality; I may not want to watch your Hara-Kiri any more than you want to watch my Fatality or Friendship.
I never really saw it as souring someone's victory personally because they're still entertaining and funny way to finish the much. Just gave the players one more chance to interact at the finish him screen instead of making it a totally one player thing.

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
I wouldnt want them back actually, the only extra finisher I am really happy about is friendship and it is back so.. I would like to see Animality too if they are funny like they were in mkt, etc

I never really saw it as souring someone's victory personally because they're still entertaining and funny way to finish the much. Just gave the players one more chance to interact at the finish him screen instead of making it a totally one player thing.
I understand and that makes sense, but I believe it should be up to the winning player to decide how it plays out after the match ends. The interacting was during gameplay.
I typically also would like to just get on with the next game so I don't want to be forced to watch them suicide when I win.

Art Lean

Noob
I don't play online, but do agree it was a nice touch.

After all, even just to be realistic, whilst some fatalities are typically ridiculously stupid, for the few real cringe-worthy ones (and when I say "cringe-worthy", I mean that in the absolute best, most unpleasantly repulsive way) like Kabal's "Hooked", Sheeva's "Spinal Tap", Sub Zero's "Frozen in Time", Jade's "Pole Dance" and D'Vorah's "Can't Die", yes I'd rather take my own life haha.

It's a really really random comparison, but like how Bomberman 1-5 on the SNES kept expanding the basics of the series to things like rideable animals that were developed from game to game then afterwards all the follow-up games acted like that never happened; it's an element to those games I really miss. Where are my fucking kangaroos and caterpillars Hudson Soft???

I thought the idea of sequels is you expand on things that worked? And there was nothing wrong with Bomberman and random weird rideable animals with different powers, but after 5 they never returned.

So in a similar way, wish MK would embrace a few of the simple things that expanded the series without any detriment. Yes there was a lot of stupid that was gladly done away with and am glad is gone, but a Hara Kiri to maintain dignity (especially since some of the fatalities are so absolutely stupid, which is a shame since I felt MK9 was probably the strongest and most horrifying fatality selection an MK game had ever had) I think would be a wonderful return to MK's Asian mythology roots to the samurai custom of taking one's own life rather than suffer shame at the hands of an enemy.

But I'm sure there's a politician out there who'll complain it glorifies suicide or something and that video games influence kids to kill themselves even though it's fine to stick this kind of ridiculous shit in a horror film or better yet, a book anyone can read where there's no such thing as age restrictions :coffee:

Bunch of sticks in the mud. I say sure, the more stuff the merrier. Maybe lock them behind some condition to add a little extra hype to it (just like bablities/friendships) and to prevent them from ALWAYS happening, but as long as that happens why the hell not.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I'd rather they bring back the No Blood Code, but they weren't terrible.

Hara-Kiris were like a weird and violent overcompensation. I think they were the big attempt, along with Death Traps replacing the old Stage Fatalities, to make up for Deadly Alliance being the most conservative of all the MK games as far as number of finishing moves; everyone only had one, there weren't any Stage Fatalities at all, and some of them (mainly Quan Chi's neck stretch and Bo Rai Chi's death fart) were just painfully lame. There was something undeniably weird about victory by suicide. However, that's just me personally, and Deception was a WEIRD weird game, so I don't mind them, and I would totally perform one on Sindel because hers was the best.

Best Fatalities in that game by far were Darrius' Mix and Match and Sub-Zero's Fastball, though. And fighting on the Falling Cliffs until someone falls off.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Hara-Kiris will eventually , come back , along with Animalities, but, not in this game, maybe in next one, MK 12. :p

In the last interview, Ed Boon more or less let this clue in the air, talking about these classics finishers stuff coming back from time to time, as Babalities came on MK9, Brutalities , in MKX , and now, Friendships on MK11, so, you can expect in the next two future games, MK12 and MK13 , they, NRS, to bring back those others ..... Hara-Kiris, Animalities, or both ! ;)

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I'd love for the Hara-Kiri finisher to return! There's a few reasons why:

1.) Like OP said, I think it's a great way to discourage teabagging and other non-finisher ways of wasting time after a match. Either do a fatality or just end it.

2.) It encourages Brutalities. If you don't want the opponent to take their own life, the best way to avoid it is to do a Brutality, and (in my opinion) modern Brutalities are infinitely better than modern fatalities. So anything that encourages their use is A-okay with me.

3. It can add a bit of last-minute excitement to the match. Trying to beat your opponent to the finish can be enjoyable, and I found it really fun in Deception.

4. Lastly, and this kind of continues off of point three, it adds some skill to finishers. Unless you're completely new to video games in general, doing a modern fatality requires no skill or thinking other than where to be positioned. However, with Hara-Kiris, at the end of the match, you have to be aware of your position at the end of the match, know the proper fatality for that range, AND be faster than your opponent. You can't just sit there for 10 seconds looking through the menu, and deciding how you want to end it. You gotta know your options and be fast about it.

Anyway, as you can tell, I'd be 100% down for them to return, especially if they are of the same quality as Friendships. I say bring them back!

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Hara-Kiri is something like;

Player 1; You can't kill me asshole..
Player 2; Yeah kill yourself looser..

Looks satisfying for everyone.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I actually don't. Thats why I said I'd like to have finishing moves turned off for competetive play.
I know you did. But lots of players (myself included) opt to skip finishers for other reasons. You specifically mentioned suicide not being entertaining.

So I figured you distinguished it from the rest of the violence in Mortal Kombat.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Bring them all back to MK11 and in this order.
  1. Animalalitys
  2. Babalities
  3. HaraKalities
  4. ChainTalities