What's new

the viability of deathstroke's trait

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
so i have been playing DS since day 1 and i still havent found any use for trait that isnt incredibly high risk in either versions of the game. any sort of setup for 132 is pretty shitty because you can just push block the first hit of whatever he does after he activates trait and by the pushblock is over, trait would be over and you would lose your guns for mad long. if you just go straight for guns then who cares? its barely any damage and you're losing guns for so long. maybe good to end rounds but i dont see it being incredibly useful. its still really high risk to the point where i wouldnt feel comfortable using it in most situations. very few situational in certain matchups to end rounds but thats it. what are you're guy's thoughts? i see people post things related to trait and all the setups just seem kinda shitty

I would just use it to end rounds. That magic pixel is sometimes very hard to get rid of, and DS' trait can help with that sometimes.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
If it didn't have the long start-up or the negative effects after the trait it would be pretty good.

But with the way it is right now it sucks.

People always belly ache when they can't use guns but its not like guns are really that useful to begin with outside of whiff punishing far away obvious things and reversals.
I'd advise that you should just spam trait a few games as many times as you can and see how much of a problem it can become.
As for setups I know as if they block f3 it's +10 and they will have to block 132 and they can't duck it. its good to just throw out a mb f3 as fast as you can and you will most likely get a combo opportunity from the outcome.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
People always belly ache when they can't use guns but its not like guns are really that useful to begin with outside of whiff punishing far away obvious things and reversals.
I'd advise that you should just spam trait a few games as many times as you can and see how much of a problem it can become.
As for setups I know as if they block f3 it's +10 and they will have to block 132 and they can't duck it. its good to just throw out a mb f3 as fast as you can and you will most likely get a combo opportunity from the outcome.
who cares if they cant duck 132 if they can just pushblock f3 and then it doesnt matter anyway

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
who cares if they cant duck 132 if they can just pushblock f3 and then it doesnt matter anyway
I don't think thats much of an issue though, you traited and lost gun shots for a few seconds, they lost a meter for trying to defend. People can push block batman on trait all the time but no one does it often. I personally like the bgb setups into a crossup f3, if they block it then you get the 132 into combo back into bgb for good damage, if they get hit you get a damaging combo back into bgb. Most wakeups whiff on cross up f3 so its a pretty good bet to take.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
I feel like his trait could be used to maybe end a round. Maybe. But i feel like its still useless. That setup shit he has really isnt that good. I would suggest just not pressing the button or setting your buttons to not have it at all. I guess you can use it to end a round but thats really all i see it for usefullness.

The trait is very useful because it leads to an unblockable combo using the string that incorporates a gunshot in the second hit.
The best use I've seen for it is off a wall bounce. Wall bounce, trait, by the time they get up your recovery is over. J3 or F3 or block a wakeup, anything to get you plus enough for the string, and get a full unblockable combo

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
The trait is very useful because it leads to an unblockable combo using the string that incorporates a gunshot in the second hit.
The best use I've seen for it is off a wall bounce. Wall bounce, trait, by the time they get up your recovery is over. J3 or F3 or block a wakeup, anything to get you plus enough for the string, and get a full unblockable combo
The only time i see DS players even get to use a Wall bounce combo is on certain Stages unless you decide to waste the 2 bars to do the Cancel. Doesnt feel worth it. Its not really a definite Unblockable reset. Jonnitti did point out that you can push block out of it.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
I don't think thats much of an issue though, you traited and lost gun shots for a few seconds, they lost a meter for trying to defend. People can push block batman on trait all the time but no one does it often. I personally like the bgb setups into a crossup f3, if they block it then you get the 132 into combo back into bgb for good damage, if they get hit you get a damaging combo back into bgb. Most wakeups whiff on cross up f3 so its a pretty good bet to take.
yeah but whats more important, having a tool, or forcing your opponent to use meter? batman its not that big of a deal because he doesnt lose anything else so there really isnt much risk. i personally would rather just make him block f3 and go for a mixup and not have to worry about losing guns, which in a lot of matchups i would most likely be using right after i finish my combo anyway

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
yeah but whats more important, having a tool, or forcing your opponent to use meter? batman its not that big of a deal because he doesnt lose anything else so there really isnt much risk. i personally would rather just make him block f3 and go for a mixup and not have to worry about losing guns, which in a lot of matchups i would most likely be using right after i finish my combo anyway
You have a tool that forces your opponent to use meter which aint bad, especially since DS rarely ever has to use meter, you'll have an edge in the clash wars. The trait cool down isn't that bad (not in terms of time), it just makes you rely on your footsies for a few seconds, plus the meta game behind it may work out to your advantage if you prepare yourself for it.

Blow trait, opponent decides to get aggressive, throw out some limbs and fish for a combo

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I just don't get the massive reduction in damage when trait is active. Fair enough, maybe a little bit of a reduction but it's just overkill, especially considering how quickly the trait is over.

The only time i see DS players even get to use a Wall bounce combo is on certain Stages unless you decide to waste the 2 bars to do the Cancel. Doesnt feel worth it. Its not really a definite Unblockable reset. Jonnitti did point out that you can push block out of it.
Definitely not worth wasting the 2 bars in most cases, i'm talking about strictly background bounces. And the pushblock is definitely a possibility