What's new

The Verdict- PS3 Pad or PDP stick for MK9?

Noob
I will post the pic and possibly a small vid of how I use the stick for you this weekend so you have reference point.

pad if in comparison to ONLY the mk9 pdp, because i hear the buttons jam quick on it. However vs a stick like madcatz te, hrap v3, quanba etc, imo the stick is MUCH better. everything feels smoother but its hard to get used to, especially blocking and grabbing with your pinky finger :confused:. imo
I replaced the stock stick with an IL and I replaced the stock buttons with IL and Cherry switches. The PDP stick destroys madcatz or any other stick IMO.

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
I ordered all my IL buttons and joystick from paradisearcade. So you guys know I'm not playing around! I added the cherry microswitch option on the buttons too. I dont need to order additional cherry switches for my joystick right? Also, I had to resort to a white joystick, will I be able to use my stock cover?

aj1701

Noob
I replaced the stock stick with an IL and I replaced the stock buttons with IL and Cherry switches. The PDP stick destroys madcatz or any other stick IMO.
If you have to replace the stick and buttons, whats left that makes the PDP better? The box?

aj, nothing makes it better. Its all preference when the buttons and stick are replaced, its the exact same stuff, except the pdp stick obviously has the mk layout.

If you have to replace the stick and buttons, whats left that makes the PDP better? The box?
Umm, yeah, I guess you could say that. The layout, the weight and feel of the stick are perfect. I guess when it comes down to it, they are all just boxes with parts in them right. Why do people like MadCatz stuff so much? Mainly because they have been marketed so well and they have Sanwa parts in them. Put a PDP stick on your lap and then a madcatz stick on your lap and tell me which one feels better. It's not even close.

Most people coming from pad hate using a stick at first. It took me awhile to make the adjustment.

I personally think this game feels much better on pad, but i can do everything on stick that i can do on pad and vice versa in this game. Any other fighting game, i prefer stick mainly for the accessibility of the extra buttons and for the precision of the stick

AlRight, I have one last question (I think) for the veteran mk style stick users. On the buttons do you use 1 finger for each button like have a designated finger per button? Or some thing else? I've been using my thumb for run and bottom left, middle finger for block, pinky for bottom right, ring finger for top right, and pointer for top left.
Ok man, here is a little video I made of how I use the PDP stick. This is the first video I have ever made with an overlay in it, so the videos are a second off. But you will figure it out.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Also, I had to resort to a white joystick, will I be able to use my stock cover?
Heres a trick for you, it doesnt matter what color stick you ordered. Your main reasons for switching to I.L. are the cherry microswitches and the white plastic actuator and the I.L. spring. You can re use the stock Happ joystick shaft and the black dustwasher.

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
Ok man, here is a little video I made of how I use the PDP stick. This is the first video I have ever made with an overlay in it, so the videos are a second off. But you will figure it out.
[video=youtube;UY0OSl5jB7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY0OSl5jB7s
thanks dude i have been resting my fingers on the buttons

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
Hope it helped you out some.

Its going to I only got to watch it a few times last night while drinking.. I'm gonna check it out more tonight.. The link doesnt show up on my iPhone. U look like u have some serious control on that joystick bro. So u don't use your pinky much?

No, I definitely use my pinky to hit the B button(bottom right). Especially on the F4, 1, 2 Jax combo you can see that I use my pinky.

Umm, yeah man, like I said before, I was playing SF2 back in 91 and MK back in 92 so I put in a lot of time on arcade sticks.
Check out some of my "casuals" videos on my page. Just me playing with my friends and some random people online.
Got a video of me playing Tom Brady at CEO too on there. Check it out.

Later.

Tim Static

Adminerator
No, I definitely use my pinky to hit the B button(bottom right). Especially on the F4, 1, 2 Jax combo you can see that I use my pinky.

Umm, yeah man, like I said before, I was playing SF2 back in 91 and MK back in 92 so I put in a lot of time on arcade sticks.
Check out some of my "casuals" videos on my page. Just me playing with my friends and some random people online.

Later.
Great vid dude. If you can make a longer tutorial type video, i'll put it on the front page and get it tweeted to a lot of people. That idea is genius.

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.

Later.
I'm going to start working on placing my right hand more similar to yours compared to what I've been doing. Ive been keeping all 5 fingers just sitting on the designated buttons and it causes a little discomfort after a while. I guess its time to train my fingers on where the buttons are! I have been holding the stick very similar to that, just between my ring and pinky not ring and middle. Still curious though, are you resting your wrist/arm on the box (joystick side)? Its hard to see with the overlay. I just wanna say thank you to BehindTheLight and 9.95 for the support in this thread, I'm sure it will help many. If anything, I have much more confidence when I go to play with the PDP stick and I'm excited about giving it another month or 2. BehindTheLight good luck on your tutorial video!

I'm going to start working on placing my right hand more similar to yours compared to what I've been doing. Ive been keeping all 5 fingers just sitting on the designated buttons and it causes a little discomfort after a while. I guess its time to train my fingers on where the buttons are! I have been holding the stick very similar to that, just between my ring and pinky not ring and middle. Still curious though, are you resting your wrist/arm on the box (joystick side)? Its hard to see with the overlay. I just wanna say thank you to BehindTheLight and 9.95 for the support in this thread, I'm sure it will help many. If anything, I have much more confidence when I go to play with the PDP stick and I'm excited about giving it another month or 2. BehindTheLight good luck on your tutorial video!
Yes, I rest my hand and wrist on the stick, I do not pick it up at all while I am playing.

I am working on the video now.

Great vid dude. If you can make a longer tutorial type video, i'll put it on the front page and get it tweeted to a lot of people. That idea is genius.
Alright Tim, here is what I came up with. I hope it is good enough. It is kind of tough to put together because I'm not sure what exactly to go over. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Here is just the raw MK video without the stick in it:

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Thanks man, glad you liked it.
Great vid, BTL. Already commented, but forgot to ask (open question, so anyone feel free to ask). What is a good brand of buttons? I may be building a Hitbox-like stick for myself(incredibly cheaper), so I'll be needing about 12 arcade buttons, but given the fact I'm 17 and have no idea about arcade sticks whatsoever, I'd like some advice from you guys.

Hope you can answer :)