What's new

The Value of Unbreakable Damage

Which do you prefer on a loadout

• Total voters

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Now that Kustoms are a thing I've been seeing a lot of people discuss their loadouts. One of the biggest talking points I've seen so far is Unbreakable Damage. People who will give up a launcher in favor of other utility, mixup or other specials. Then saying that they'd rather take the unbreakable combo paths. I'm all about damage by any means necessary, but I can't help but wonder at what point does unbreakable damage lose its value. For closing out a round, undoubtedly, unbreakable is your best friend. But throughout that round all I think is what else the opponent can do with that defensive bar since they aren't blowing it on breakaway. Not to mention unbreakable options are usually much weaker than full launchers. Even if my opponent fucks up my combo and wastes a bar of my offensive meter, I can at least know that they'll be stuck without any defensive options for a few seconds. I'm really curious to see how everyone else feels.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I think it depends on a lot of variables (damage output, character archetype, armour break potential, etc). If I have a decent enough armour breaker then I wouldn't really care about having to purposefully slot into unbreakable damage and just go for breakable stuff and mix up with armour breaker. Not to mention with a good armour breaker I can mix up the point in which I use it to bait breakaways at different timings, creating an extra level of mind games with the opponent.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I picked breakable because I do more damage overall. I use a character with armor break that lands me 50-60% if I read it. They would be better off by letting me finish the combo.

But different characters require different strategy.
I think a good portion can use their FB.

My Jax (Enhanced Outrank, Expert Grappler, Quad Grab) gives me 7 viable krushing blows for 30-40% and two of which juggle. You mentioned that juggles force your opponent to use defensive meter; for me, I get to save my offensive meter for the utility of my special moves while most of my damage barely uses meter and is unbreakable.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
My Jax (Enhanced Outrank, Expert Grappler, Quad Grab) gives me 7 viable krushing blows for 30-40% and two of which juggle. You mentioned that juggles force your opponent to use defensive meter; for me, I get to save my offensive meter for the utility of my special moves while most of my damage barely uses meter and is unbreakable.
Having great KBs can also supplement launchers. Good point

I would also say that it depends on how good your character's unbreakable damage is vs their breakable damage, and whether or not they get to link d2's in like Kollector etc.
There's also characters that when played with a bit of mindfulness can just not care about breakaway and let the opponent throw their wakeups in the trash.
Also characters who get to do literally everything under the sun when it comes to combos, choosing their path as the match unfolds.

Ultimately I think it all depends on your opponent's breaking habits and discern how to approach murdering them.