What's new

The use of hidden select in tourns

MK9

Noob
I would like to hear feedback from the offline community about hidden select in tourns and why you choose not to use it.

Me and summoning have been dumbfounded to why you choose to follow a stupid rule that has been implemented by other communities. You play a game that is a counter pick frenzy at high level play, but why let it be when you have an option that eliminates counter picking.

I can bet if you used this system, the top 8 would have looked a lot different.

ok here it is...

round 1 of the pools, both people hidden select.
round 2 the player who wins the first match gets to hidden select and pick first. there should be no sticking with the same character rule. Here is why. Say I just won the first match, now I have to pick the same character, while the person who just lost gets to counter pick me?? Why am I being penalized for winning the first rd?? I won so I should have the advantage in match 2. I should be able to hidden select and be giving the choice to stay or switch characters, this will also play head games with my opponent. Now he has 50/50 guess of did I switch or not. And this should be how every match is played.

Least in the arcades you have a time limit to select your character, now you can just sit there till someone picks first.

lets hear your opinions.

gdf

Noob
I am not sure what your stance on hidden select is, but I support the opportunity for other people to counterpick after a loss.

Tolkeen

/wrists
Why not use the Japanese model and just character lock the entire match.
Also if you choose wrong with hidden select you should be stuck with that character, IMO.

Tapatalk, helping me procrastinate.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Yeah, I agree with this, it's stupid that you're penalized for winning in a TO. If the game wasn't ridiculously counter pick heavy then it wouldn't be an issue, but it's dumb. Either the winner should be allowed to pick a new character, people need to play a single character through their set or hidden select needs to be the standard for both players following a win.

...or hidden select needs to be the standard for both players following a win.
How do you enforce that though? You have to account for accidental incorrect character selects. Controllers bug out sometimes and it can be difficult to hear in a tournament environment. Who in their right mind would want to compete in a game that doesn't let you see who you are selecting and penalizes you for picking wrong?

If the character rules need changing (I don't think they do), then it should just be that if the looser wants to switch then the winner should be allowed to as well.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Why not use the Japanese model and just character lock the entire match.
Also if you choose wrong with hidden select you should be stuck with that character, IMO.

Tapatalk, helping me procrastinate.
Right.

What if you use hidden select and you see the opponent and your like oops I chose the wrong one...NOT!

You both have the option at the start of the match to hidden select, whoever loses has to choose another while the winner has a 50/50 chance of being able to still counter the opponent. Who says the counter even works from losers 2nd match? You won because you out played them, and if counter is such a huge factor then if you won the first match and lost the 2nd you have an opportunity to counter the last match.

MK9

Noob
both picking new characters would still lead to counter picking cause someone has to pick first, hidden select is the only true way to stop counter picking.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
That's the WINNERS HUGE ADVANTAGE, if countering means SO much that whoever won the first match should have the advantage to win the whole thing since they can counter pick their very last match for the win.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Counter picking is a tactic no different than blocking, spamming fireballs etc etc. We never used it in UMK3, i dont know why we should do it because the Capcom community (and whoever else) does it too. its stupid imo, ive never liked it.

SZSR

Noob
Right.

What if you use hidden select and you see the opponent and your like oops I chose the wrong one...NOT!

You both have the option at the start of the match to hidden select, whoever loses has to choose another while the winner has a 50/50 chance of being able to still counter the opponent. Who says the counter even works from losers 2nd match? You won because you out played them, and if counter is such a huge factor then if you won the first match and lost the 2nd you have an opportunity to counter the last match.
Pretty much this. I think being able to counter pick allows for a more competitive environment personally and winner locking does exactly that. That way you guys don't get stuck waiting on the select screen for the other to choose. For example: Note at FR XV when REO fought CD jr, he knew he had a bad matchup with Kabal in CD jr's Jax so he counter picked with Cage. At this point, CD jr had to choose against REO's pick. Since REO was locked to Cage, CD jr had the freedom to counterpick and REO would show the knowledge of his character, REO would have to outplay him again if CD jr chose one of Cage's bad matchups. CD jr ended up pulling out Sonya. The pure hype and competitiveness from seeing REO trying to "break his curse" and with REO outplaying him in the Sonya - Cage was one of the greatest matches of the stream.