What's new

The UMK3 strategy discussion/QnA thread

MaDWaK

Noob
Yeah I'm gonna get this started since I dont see one up. This thread is going to be for umk3 GAMEPLAY ONLY. In other words character matchups, what combos who, and advanced mindgames possibly. Also, people should be able to post a question and get an answer.

I have a quick question.

can you AA KungLaos D.HK in the air with a simple AA HK, or HP, or maybe even roundhouse? what you you guys do to punish when people whiff backjump HK then hit with D,HK? Im thinkin you can only really block -> AA combo.

and Is it bad to block too much. I was watching some vids of myself and I realize I possibly block too much, waiting for the lucky uption to punish an attack like Liukangs flying kick or something.
Im pretty short on time right now but I'll explain later.

thanks for the help and I hope I can see a new long thread full of UMK3 advanced info.

can you AA KungLaos D.HK in the air with a simple AA HK, or HP, or maybe even roundhouse?

Yes

and Is it bad to block too much. I was watching some vids of myself and I realize I possibly block too much, waiting for the lucky uption to punish an attack like Liukangs flying kick or something.
Im pretty short on time right now but I'll explain later.

Depends if your giving up good opportunities to attack.

T1xNeo

Noob
I have been trying t get decent with the reptilian. It seems as if once some one gets around my zoning techniques I run out of options. also when I drop the opponent out of a juggle should I continue with a HK HK HK to push them away or try and pop them up again? usually when I go for a pop up they will D.LK me away from them. Whats an alternate to the HK HK HK push away if any?

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
T1xNeo said:
I have been trying t get decent with the reptilian. It seems as if once some one gets around my zoning techniques I run out of options. also when I drop the opponent out of a juggle should I continue with a HK HK HK to push them away or try and pop them up again? usually when I go for a pop up they will D.LK me away from them. Whats an alternate to the HK HK HK push away if any?
(the juggle dropped leaves the opponent close)
do a single runjab cancelled by run/block and then
-crouch and bait an uppercut or crossup, if they're still crouchblocked keep runjabbing or go HKx3 pushaway blocked
-if your runjab catches them jumping out of your rushdown, cancel into a fast FB or Invis if you can
-do the hk x3 pushaway, chances are they won't block because they're about to counter your rushdown because you threw out that quick runjab before doing the combo

I preach mixing it up and never doing the same thing twice in a match if you can help it. Obviously, you should always take advantage of the inf when can, but I suggest always using different ways to set it up and keep your opponent on their toes. Find openings in their game and exploit their flaws, like jumping over your FB's. (rh them onto a FB or aaHP into FB) If you're having a hard time cracking open your opponent's defense, switch your offensive and defensive tactics on and off. Rep, Sindel, and Jax have some of the most unique offense/defense mixups in the game because of the quick confusion they can cause on a switchup. Try the paused popup like Zaq was saying (or HK pushaway) and IF they block it, go Invis or start slowing backing up right away. If they jump toward you, there's your best opening. If they rush, you should be safe FB spam distance.

When in FULL screen and you're FB spamming, make sure to switch it up and use the elbow dash right after they block a FB. Go for the popup, it's great wakeup and gets you back on the aggresive side.

Hope I've been helpful, it is nice to see people beefing up their Reptiles. :)

Here's a good rep strategy from Lex at mku.com. simple stuff that works.........

"try playing/learning reptile without the infinite. by the time you learn him 100% the infinite will be easy. just because a guy on the internet did an infinite doesnt meant it should be the standard.

learn when to turn invis (remember it has 0 cooloff so you can do something instantly after)
- invis, slide
- rj, rj, invis, crossup jump hp linker to ground combo
- while invis: rj, invis, knee combo (mixup throw)

learn how to lock someone down at near full screen with orbs
- aarh, fast ball, slow ball (wait for aarh), fast ball when the slow ball hits, repeat (mixup with acid spit)
- aarh, spit (they jump into it), slow ball, fast ball, repeat

learn when to dash and be sure to do something right after if its unexpected
- rj, 2xrj, dash, knee combo, fast ball, slow ball

master the 3 hit knee combo distancing/timings
- hk, hk *pause, b+hk, throw
- hk, hk, b+hk, fast ball

funky stuff
- slow ball, aarh into slow ball, rj, fast ball, aarh, slow ball (lockdown)
- rj, fast ball (blocked), invis, dash, 3 hit knee combo, fast ball
- rj, slow ball, dash, knee combo, invis"

Question - when doing Kabal's aa spin, hp,hp, jk, fb do you cancel the second hp with run to get off the ground quicker or do you just input the combo without canceling?

fragtality said:
Question - when doing Kabal's aa spin, hp,hp, jk, fb do you cancel the second hp with run to get off the ground quicker or do you just input the combo without canceling?
just hit Run right after your last HP hits then hold Up/Forward hit a kick button then back, back, HP. Its so easy a caveman can do it. ;)

RollTide8569 said:
just hit Run right after your last HP hits then hold Up/Forward hit a kick button then back, back, HP. Its so easy a caveman can do it. ;)
True I'll keep practicing, I'd pay Ed Booner to come out with a DLC training mode similar to SF4. And while I'm paying why not throw in MKT for XBLA and an update so you can configure your buttons to whatever you want.

MaDWaK

Noob
as much as I wish they would update this game, the simple fact is they dont care and theyre not gonna spend anymore time/money on this game. its already popular as it is due to the millions of subzero and scorpion picking scrubs who pay the 400 points because its extra after buying castle crashers or some shit. its not like the umk3 competitive scene is HUGE either. all the real good players either 1. use the cheat.dat and setup a ghetto training mode in MAME. 2. play on a cab. and don't play xbl at all, or 3. don't give a fuck and just play anyway.

alright so I been fucking around with Kitanas instant jumping fan trick for about an hour now in the umk3 ghetto training mode on mame. I was wondering what the exact notation of it was. I do f,uf+lp+hp as fast as possible. It feels like you can just press uf,uf+lp+hp but you have like 2 frames to do it. I get it like 60% and its super sick because of situations like after you hit her autocombo, you can do it and they're forced to block, which means you can put runjab pressure on them again. they cant jump towards you because you can aa. they cant jump back because they'll get hit by the fan , so they cant do anything else unless they're like Jade and b,f, HK through that shit all day. Last time I played MistaKM it seemed like he can do it consistently, same with miss spin, so I know its not a random thing. I may be already stating the obvious but I want to know more about this instant jumping fan.

lol Ghetto Training Mode Im luvin it I train ghetto style alot

i would also like more info on the quick fan, i can CHEAT it out on a 360 Pad but i wanna do it legit cuz its jus so koo