What's new

The TYM Weight-Loss and Nutrition Thread

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Is there any benefit to Intermittent Fasting?
I've found it very helpful because I struggle immensely at keeping consistent with physical activity. Figured that until I get around to messing with the CO part of CICO, I needed to focus on the CI piece.

For anyone that's a big snacker like me, I've found the most valuable part of combatting that is not at home. It's at the grocery store. Had to stop cold turkey buying certain snacks because I exist to consume salty carbs. Going from having chips, pretzels, crackers, and popcorn all on hand to only a bag of pretzels or only a tub of popcorn kernels (to cook from scratch with minimal oil and salt) has helped. From there, I've been slowly integrating better snacks: fruit, yogurt, low sugar granola clusters, low sugar protein bars, etc. Am now at the point where when my body wants me to snack, I'm a-ok with taking the time for something like making a bowl of yogurt instead of craving chips.

It's been a slow going process for a year and some change, but it's been worth it. Highly recommend. You'll feel better physically and about yourself when you're no longer dealing with the daily addiction to salt, bad fats, and carbs.

As an aside, I also recommend learning to bake desserts. Don't buy overly sugary stuff if you can help it and instead bake what you want once a month or so. Making it a time-consuming hassle to get your hands on something super sugary and making it into an infrequent treat can cut down on added sugars immensely. Same idea as snacks above: eliminating easy access can be huge. Quite cost effective too.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Is there any benefit to Intermittent Fasting?
There's so much research into all of the various popular diet trends like keto, intermittent fasting, etc. etc. etc., and they all say they have they have positive health benefits, but imo the actual best diet is the one that you can actually adhere to and stick with long term.

Nutrition is so hard to get real causal data, so you'll give yourself a headache reading studies actually trying to figure out what is actually the "best" way to eat - if intermittent fasting is super sustainable for you, makes you happy and allows you to eat in a way that'll achieve your goals, it will very likely be what's best.

it might sound dumb but it really helps when you only eat when you are really hungry, not just have an appetite. ive found that this way you at least dont gain weight.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
My successful strategy for losing weight from being obese was avoiding carbs. I still eat pretty much everything sometimes, but things like pasta, bread, rice.. I don't eat them and I don't crave them anymore. You stay away from some of that stuff long enough and you don't even think of it as food anymore. I eat a lot more meat. I don't know if the low carb thing or carb watching is for everyone but lots of carbs and sugars can get you

Wigy

There it is...
My successful strategy for losing weight from being obese was avoiding carbs. I still eat pretty much everything sometimes, but things like pasta, bread, rice.. I don't eat them and I don't crave them anymore. You stay away from some of that stuff long enough and you don't even think of it as food anymore. I eat a lot more meat. I don't know if the low carb thing or carb watching is for everyone but lots of carbs and sugars can get you
yeah i found keto pretty easy to stick to and felt better from it. Ruins lifting ive found though.

Wigy

There it is...
Yeah I can never lift carb depleted, any pressing movement in particular is obliterated
yeah glycogen reserves go to shit. Good for cardio type stuff i found though. I think i lost 15kg on bench in a month last time i went keto.

also keto can be seriously misleading, people think they’re losing crazy weight then it plateaus, i lose 6kg in a week or so on keto just from water.

if you want a simple diet and dont do strenuous weights its a great option

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
yeah glycogen reserves go to shit. Good for cardio type stuff i found though. I think i lost 15kg on bench in a month last time i went keto.

also keto can be seriously misleading, people think they’re losing crazy weight then it plateaus, i lose 6kg in a week or so on keto just from water.

if you want a simple diet and dont do strenuous weights its a great option
I agree, it can work for a lot of people. I’ve done it before and yeah, felt good but was weak af.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Just got my first 175 bench after a shoulder injury that shelved me for months 4 plate club on the horizon.
Nice man, injury or illness setbacks are so frustrating, feels so good to finally get back to it / keep improving

Wigy

There it is...
Some day I’ll be there too, congrats dude
cheers man!

Its definitely my strongest exercise- i have proportionally not very long arms but super long legs.. so im terrible at deadlifts but strong on push exercises.

currently at 125kg at 196cm, just to put in perspective, probably about 40kg heavier than most dudes.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
cheers man!

Its definitely my strongest exercise- i have proportionally not very long arms but super long legs.. so im terrible at deadlifts but strong on push exercises.

currently at 125kg at 196cm, just to put in perspective, probably about 40kg heavier than most dudes.
Gotcha, regardless 4 plates is insane.
I’m the opposite, long limbs relative to my frame. I’m heavy for my frame as well probably, like 178 cm at 93 KG.

I got a 6 plate deadlift before a 3 plate bench lmao, presses are a struggle, but if you keep eating and lifting, regardless of leverages, you have no choice but to get stronger.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
What's the difference between lifting a heavier weight for a smaller number of reps vs lifting a lighter weight for a larger number of reps?

For example doing 25 kettle bell swings with a 15 pound weight vs doing 10 kettle bell swings with a 30 pound weight. Is one or the other "better" for building strength? Or there pro's or con's for either?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
What's the difference between lifting a heavier weight for a smaller number of reps vs lifting a lighter weight for a larger number of reps?

For example doing 25 kettle bell swings with a 15 pound weight vs doing 10 kettle bell swings with a 30 pound weight. Is one or the other "better" for building strength? Or there pro's or con's for either?
You’ll get more of a neurological strength adaptation from heavier weights for low reps relatively speaking.

There’s not really an appreciable difference between a hard set of say, 8 reps vs a hard set of 12 reps in terms of muscle gain, what matters is high the proximity to failure, which can be achieved with a variety of rep ranges. There are some general guidelines, like less than 5 reps probably isn’t ideal for muscle growth, and more than like 20 is borderline cardio.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Owner
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I love this thread. When I get some time I will drop a lot of what I have done to drop weight and get a bit healthier here in life. Everyone on the grind keep it up!

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I've had a pretty shitty week in terms of not eating healthy, snacking too often and too late at night, and not keeping up with my workout goals.

On the positive side, I think I'm finding that I enjoy running and Kettle Bell workouts, so that's actually kind of motivating to do going forward. And I'm starting to figure out that I feel a lot better when I avoid or minimize Carbs, Sugar (form of carbs, I guess) and cheese. So I'm trying to stay positive and focus on that.

Wigy

There it is...

rule of thumb thats worked well for me.

3-5 reps for heavy working sets, better strength gains

8-12 for better volume/aesthetics gains.

Some muscles respond better to volume.
calves biceps side delts, rear delts.

I rarely do much volume on chest and i have mummy milkers