What's new

The thought of Inustice becoming mainstream?

By mainstream I mean well known. Let's face it, everyone and their mom are posting videos all over the internet about injustice news. Yesterday, I took a look on the front page of Reddit only to find the updated character selects screen in the front page, ( in case you didn't notice Reddit is basically where the internet takes place) what are your thoughts on this becoming a "mainstream" game ?
Personally I would love it. It would give some people to learn about the DC lore and play games that isn't CoD. Even if those scene kids always play as batman because they think they know all about him just from watching TDK Trilogy.

What do you think?

Enenra

Go to hell.
Hate to break it to you, but MK is mainstream as fuck. Everyone knows what Mortal Kombat is. There is no real transition for us besides having to get accustomed to the Mahvel and Skeet Fighta crowds in our forums.

I'm cool with it. More sales means more DLC, patches, more stream time at tournies, more support and for longer, bigger pots, more notoriety, and more people to play online with. A pretty good deal if you ask me.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Tons of players started playing shooting games passed an average level because of mainstream games like COD. This was because the game was approachable yet still very engaging at a higher level.

If Injustice ends up becoming mainstream it'll be amazing because we'll end up having a new era of the mainstream people actually playing fighting games. The game has its frame data on the command list too so learning things passed just slapping each other with specials will be more accessible to the public that don't even know how a fighting game's higher level even works.

We'll end up finding a new wave of amazing players rising from out of nowhere and players from countries we would never expect. Just thinking about it is awesome, but it's a pretty ambitious thing to be thinking about actually happening.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
As it stands, if you just type "inj" into google, "Injustice Gods Among Us" is the first guess to pop up. Just a month ago, it wouldn't pop up until I typed at least "Injustice Gods". And the Battle Arena wouldn't pop up as a guess, even if I typed in the entire thing. Now it pops up as well, leading me to believe there are a lot of Injustice-related google searches going on.

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
Man if this becomes too mainstream I'll have to drop it.Instead I'll play JJBA:All-Star Battle,you propably never heard of it.Kappa

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Will a mainstream game with mainstream characters catering to a mainstream audience become mainstream?

Let's ask obscure character Batman.

lol that's true.

It looks like the only thing that would stop this game from being a mainstream powerhouse that might even resemble a game like Call of Duty is if the online netcode is just a huge slice of raw ass like MK9.

lol that's true.

It looks like the only thing that would stop this game from being a mainstream powerhouse that might even resemble a game like Call of Duty is if the online netcode is just a huge slice of raw ass like MK9.
What will it take for this game to get to Marvel's level and tournament entry? Or even SF.

Invincibeast

Stay Free
I hope it does. From everything we've seen so far it looks amazing and I want it to have a long life, longer than MK9's if possible

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
What will it take for this game to get to Marvel's level and tournament entry? Or even SF.
The thing is, there are 2 forces at work here.

1) "Mainsteam". Mortal Kombat has this in spades. There are 2 fighting games that everyone in the world seems to know the name of, and those are Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. Through infamy, controversy, and a long history of titles, MK has cemented itself as a mainstream brand name.

2) FGC and Tournament-backed. This is a separate audience. Marvel vs. Capcom is not a mainstream name outside of the FGC in the sense that MK and SF are; but when it comes to the tournament community, no game has more support. This is built on a multi-year history of competitive gaming that evolved from SF; and it is kept healthy by a roster of FGC stars that promote the game through shows, high profile endorsements etc.

For the game to be mainstream is up to the general public, and as Enenra said MK has been there for years. But as far as the FGC is concerned, building to the level of a Marvel requires a massive effort from people like us -- dedicated hardcore players and fans. It's a niche phenomenon and it will take a niche effort to grow it.

To grow our tourney audience we need to promote the hype, promote our stars, forge sponsorships and partnerships, and generally not take the popularity of the game for granted. I plan to help with this as much as I can; and hopefully we can all come together as a team and push support of these games to the next level.

Tim Static

Adminerator
There are 2 fighting games that everyone in the world seems to know the name of, and those are Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.
They're are 3, and that 3rd game is Bloody Roar.

nah jk, you forgot Tekken! (not a 3d fighter fan, but i can't believe you left them out!!! :confused:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
nah jk, you forgot Tekken! (not a 3d fighter fan, but i can't believe you left them out!!! :confused:
Lol @ Bloody Roar :D. Heh, if I ask the average person on the street what 'Tekken' is, most people won't know. But say 'Mortal Kombat' and they will know. Hollywood movies, and a theme song that has about 40 million combined video views on Youtube. It's on a whole other level of popularity!

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Lol @ Bloody Roar :D. Heh, if I ask the average person on the street what 'Tekken' is, most people won't know. But say 'Mortal Kombat' and they will know. Hollywood movies, and a theme song that has about 40 million combined video views on Youtube. It's on a whole other level of popularity!
Yeah in America

everywhere else.... Mortal Kombat is the "tekken"

btw.... did I just read a sentence that said the internet is reddit? i'm where are these kids coming from???

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Yeah in America

everywhere else.... Mortal Kombat is the "tekken"
As a world traveller, I've never seen another game with the notoriety of SF/MK. The Mortal Kombat movie did like $50 mil overseas, SF did over 60.. I don't think any other fighting game would bring that kind of draw at the international box office from the general public.

Dig the maps at the bottom:
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=tekken
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=mortal kombat

btw.... did I just read a sentence that said the internet is reddit?
( in case you didn't notice Reddit is basically where the internet takes place)
:eek:

Too many fighting game communities crave mainstream validation of their hobby.

The truth is that fighting games are the last bastion of tough gameplay in all of gaming. They are hard to play and get good at even with so many crappy comeback mechanics and easy combo games.

When fighting games start to suck like every other genre so little Johnny scrub can beat other morons online, I think you will rethink this whole thread.

Like others have said, focus on getting other fighting gamers on board instead of trying to appeal to everyone.

isn't being mainstream a good thing?
Yes very. Despite what all the fan of obscure stuff would like to tell you being underground and underrated actually sucks and is overrated. Being mainstream means more money which means, if they really care about their products, better quality where being obscure means less money and less potential to improve quality..