What's new

Video/Tutorial The Superman Vortex

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Well I was never really sure how to set it up as I don't main superman. But it was basically after mb frost breath doing 11, f2, 22, or anything that does decent grounded damage activating trait and trying to catch them off guard with f23, f3, low scoop or grab. Certainly not BnB material but could help win a round and look swaggy doing it
Looks like we had a similar idea. I started this off of j1,11 but then quickly found each 50/50 option is back dashable. :( Not to mention his low options are "super" unsafe. (See what I did there?)

Drecker

GET CITY.
Here's my edited version with direct recording, including the small character adjustment and some pretty silly f3 crossup shenanigans. It's very possible this doesn't actually cross up, similar to the Grundy midscreen f3, but I don't have time to test it right now. To control it, just delay the f3 slightly and it won't go over. If this is old, sorry?

If it doesn't still looks pretty. If it does, welp.

@DarksydeDash

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Oh, I could've recorded this thing? Last I heard it was under wraps after that Pushblock thing.

DarksydeDash

Here's my edited version with direct recording, including the small character adjustment and some pretty silly f3 crossup shenanigans. It's very possible this doesn't actually cross up, similar to the Grundy midscreen f3, but I don't have time to test it right now. To control it, just delay the f3 slightly and it won't go over. If this is old, sorry?

If it doesn't still looks pretty. If it does, welp.

@DarksydeDash
Yeah I accidently did that cause my buttons stuck. Unfortunately it looks like there is no way to get f3 to cross-up.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
So what are your thoughts? Viable or just for gimmicks?

It's not "just for gimmicks" that's for sure, people still have trouble blocking midscreen divebomb OTG setups so this could definitely catch people napping. It's worth throwing out in a match, wouldn't rely on it or make it a huge part of your game though.

ciaran carrick

Lars a noob
Divebomb is unsafe

Also, you can roll out of the divebomb nullifying MB F3

People gotta check for hardknockdowns when they record this stuff, thats how some of the bathgirl stuff past peoples sight, not testing properly.

It's not BAD by anymeans, but, compared to other characters with safe, legitimate 50/50 vortexs this is gimmicky at best for a character best suited to other areas of confrontation

Heres one:F23, J2, F2D13, dash, jump forward instant divebomb hits on sameside, jump forward delayed crosses up.

This is my set up, its tricky but prevents wake ups eitherside and f2d13 IS a hardknockdown, legitimate 50/50 when you get the timing

Nice video though.

Last edited:

DarksydeDash

Divebomb is unsafe

Also, you can roll out of the divebomb nullifying MB F3

People gotta check for hardknockdowns when they record this stuff, thats how some of the bathgirl stuff past peoples sight, not testing properly.

It's not BAD by anymeans, but, compared to other characters with safe, legitimate 50/50 vortexs this is gimmicky at best for a character best suited to other areas of confrontation

F23, J2, F2D13, dash, jump forward instant divebomb hits on sameside, jump forward delayed crosses up.

This is my set up, its tricky but prevents wake ups eitherside and f2d13 IS a hardknockdown, legitimate 50/50 when you get the timing

Nice video though.
The f3 cross up is just a gimmick, the vortex is not.

DarksydeDash

It's not "just for gimmicks" that's for sure, people still have trouble blocking midscreen divebomb OTG setups so this could definitely catch people napping. It's worth throwing out in a match, wouldn't rely on it or make it a huge part of your game though.
Agreed. I would only say about once or twice. It does allow more meter build though so it might be worth it.

LEGEND

YES!
Has anyone tested to see if they can forward dash or MB B3 cancel to get out? I thought about this but the J2's frame data made me think it shouldn't work

Maybe the same side divebomb will stuff those options anyway. Someone test, i dont have my copy

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Has anyone tested to see if they can forward dash or MB B3 cancel to get out? I thought about this but the J2's frame data made me think it shouldn't work

Maybe the same side divebomb will stuff those options anyway. Someone test, i dont have my copy
The frame data for jumps is calculated based upon hitting at the very peak of a jump. Advantage is almost always much more than listed. For instance, BGs j3 is listed as +10 on block, but it's actually closer to +20 because she gets a free 50/50 on block.

If you're going for this setup from an f23 without trait, this combo does max damage (29%) I think...

f23, j2, 11, f2~df1, 11~db2(MB), j2 (29%)

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Well first off let me say THIS IS NOT AN APRIL FOOL'S JOKE! So with that out of the way, allow me to introduce you to the evolution of the Man of Steel: The Vortex. (He does not need the corner to kill you anymore!)
The vortex is quite simple to pull off and highly damaging (this is Superman we are talking about here). There is a downside as it is quite meter dependent but that is balanced out by how much damage one rep of it can do (more than his midscreen bnb..DAAYYYUUUMMM), especially if you are close to a stage bounce as it will do more than his corner damage/dive bomb resets. If you thought that was bad, it also leads into the mid-screen ambiguous dive bomb reset EMPR DMS found.
There is no escape, you can't d1/2 mash, back dash, or even SSSSUUPPPAAA!!! You are forced to guess the 50/50 and god help you if you guess wrong.

Inputs:
-Same side
(j2/3) f23,f23xxMB Breath, dash up, nj2, fj divebomb.

-Cross up
(j2/3) f23,f23xxMB Breath, dash up, nj2, jf3. (Time the j3 as soon as Supes is directly above them.)

-May also be started from..
223,f23xxMB Breath
22xxlow scoop,f23xx MB Breath
d2,f23, etc.
F2d1,f23, etc.
(MB)b3, j3, j2, 11xxMB Breath
(MB)f3,f23xxMB Breath

Additional notes:
-The j3 cross-up will whiff on smaller hitbox characters like Killer frost but she can't punish you as Supes will be able to block in time. Same applies to Catwoman, and Batgirl.

-Since this does reset a combo, it will allow for more meter to be built.
Consider going for a rep when you are about to reach another bar.

-Follow up combo with stage bounce:
J3/divebomb, f23xxstage bounce, b3, j3, f2xxlow scoop, 3xxSuper Punch/Rising Grab Heat Vision. 51-52%
You may also just go into the vortex after the j3 with here MB Breath.
Total damage off one rep of vortex: 31+51=82%

-Feeling unlucky? You can always throw. *cough* Grundy. *cough*

-Whats better than a vortex? A vortex within a vortex! (requires trait)
If your opponent happens to guess right, use standing 3xxtrait then go into another 50/50
with 223 or 22xxlow scoop. THEY MUST NOT SURVIVE!
(For more details look at EMPR THEO's "The godliness of standing 3" forum.)

-Ambiguous f3 can be tech rolled and is just a gimmick, use at own risk.

Special thanks to C88 Woundcowboy for kicking my ass online with Sinestro's vortex as it let me create Supe's and shout-outs to Drecker for recording it for me!
@KDZ
@EMPEROR_THEO
@MF SLAYER
@Frantastic23
@AK/RM GamerBlake
@AK elitegoomba
@NRF Everlast
@NRF_xQUANTUMx
@Compbros
@LEGEND
lol this even looks like Sinestro's vortex.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Ok, so these are combos I'm using for vortex;

f23, ji2, 11, f2~df1, 11~db2(MB), dash, nj2 (29%)
jidb3, f23. f2~df1, 11~db2(MB), dash, nj2 (30%)
ji3, f23, f2~df1, 11~db2(MB), dash, nj2 (32%)

Dive bomb OTG setups;

f23, ji2, 11~db2(MB), b3, f3, (dash, jidb3) (31%)
jdb3, f23~db2(MB), b3, f3, (dash, jidb3) (32%)
ji3, f23~db2(mb), b3, f3, (dash, jidb3) (34%)

Of course this is essentially guess wrong twice and take a life bar becase after two vortex rounds (60%), you can finish off with a ~40% combo eg.

jdb3, f23~db2(MB), b3, ji3, f2~df1, 3~df2, db1 (39%)
ji3, f23~db2(MB), b3, ji3, f2~df1, 3~df2, db1 (41%)

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
How can a crossup hit on the "Same side"? Doesn't that mean that it's not a cross up?
It's the nature of divebomb. It hits ambiguous as hell and almost always LOOKS like it's crossing up, but can hit on either side depending on the timing. In this setup, however, it looks like it crosses up but hits on the same side it's launched from.

Is this better than traditional divebomb vortexes though? I feel like it's a lot slower and easier to react to once you are familiar with the setup.