What's new

The Story of my First Offline Tourney

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Yep...the first offline tournament of my entire life. And it turned one to be one Hell of a crazy story...so crazy, in fact, that I feel it should be shared with ya'll.

This is my story. It begins on late Friday night leading into Saturday, the day of the Tokyo in Tulsa tournament.

After recording a run on the Arcade Mode with Sub-Zero and then having some frustrating online series with a select few 88's, I chilled in my room reading some stuff on the Internet, feeling very displeased with my progress in the game. Knowing the tourney was coming up soon, I felt my chances of doing good were getting worse. There are still some things I have trouble with when it comes to fighting high-level players and my confidence never was something to brag about. But I couldn't back out now, as it would put to waste the preparations I made with three other people for the tournament.

Having gotten no sleep at all the entire night, I decided to get a little nap in. So I put my laptop on sleep mode and was out cold for an hour. Then I woke up, and a few minutes afterwards I received a text message from Raidenwins telling me that he and the other two Oklahoma players were on their way to collect me.

That shook me out of my sleep-induced stupor. I immediately set about getting dressed and ate a bowl of cereal real quick so as to get some energy in me, then decided to take a Diet Dr. Pepper and my Nintendo DSi along with me. Being the gamer I am, I always carry the DSi around my neck so that I don't get bored shitless.

I found Raidenwins outside with RayboneKilla and SaibotMK. We all got in the car and off we went. Along the way, I texted the other members of the Crazy 88's clan to let them know I was heading to the tourney. They all wished me the best of luck. I told them I was going to do everything I could to make them proud, but deep down I was still worried...I only had offline experience from two nights of casuals to draw upon and I never did do well online. I felt I wasn't able to adapt to everything the new fighting engine had to offer. Also SaibotMK and I only fought once in a Ranked Match and he had destroyed me soundly. Knowing all this, did I really have a chance?

Then I got distracted by what the other guys were discussing, so I shook off the concern and joined in. We talked specifically about Mortal Kombat, what some characters had to offer, about the previous tournament experiences, things we had read up on MKU, TYM, and some other places - you name it, it's us, chilling like Mortal Kombat fanatics. It was one thing to have this good shit with people I knew over the Internet, but to finally discuss such things verbally with other people who shared my passion for the franchise...

It was badass, LOL.

We stopped at McDonald's along the way to eat, then went on to Tulsa. During the drive there, I used my cell phone to share a select few of my combo videos with SaibotMK and RayboneKilla. They certainly seemed pleased by what they saw. We also discussed how Kabal's damage scaling was atrocious after I showed them my 42% wall combo with him. Way too low, in fact. We felt it should be loosened up a little so that his long combos would be more rewarding, but not too much that he gets overpowered. I'll let you all think about the rest.

After like an hour, we got to the convention center and made our way to the Rec Room for the gaming tournies. Signed ourselves up and we were good to go. Since the tournament wouldn't start until 4 P.M. Central Time (we had gotten there at 1:00 P.M.), I and the other Mortal Kombat players chose to use this time to practice up.

I'll do you all a favor and skip the practice part, it's too long and really unnecessary, LOL.

What I will say is that during the practice sessions, I got text messages from some MKU community members, all of whom were wishing me the best of luck. I thanked them for their support. It did a good job of curing what doubts I had.

We were about ready to get this show fired up, but then we learned that the brackets got screwed up and someone had been entered to play Mortal Kombat when he had actually signed up for a different game. Flustered by this, the organizer took ten minutes to rearrange our names in the bracket and get things fixed up. After the ten minutes elapsed, the tourney started for good. I watched as Raidenwins took out a Cyrax player to advance to the next round, then I was in the process of watching RayboneKilla's match when I decided to go find my name on the brackets and see who I would be facing.

But when I approached the station and checked the brackets...my name wasn't there. I grew concerned. I asked the organizer about this oversight. He checked to see if my name was on the sign-up list, which it was, then he turned the brackets inside and out...but could find no trace of my name. I hoped there was a way he could still fix this up and get me set for my fights.

Then it got worse. He gave me back the five dollars I had paid for the sign-up, explaining how they were too deep into the tournament to tamper with the brackets again. So he wouldn't be able to get my name in there, and therefore, I would be unable to compete.

At that point, I was livid. I felt reality had shattered around me. This was the first offline tournament I had finally gotten to go to and it was going to end in me not getting my chance? All because of a stupid error on the part of the brackets system or whatever? I couldn't believe I was about to lose it all there.

I wanted to blow up and cuss the organizer out, but I knew it would do no good. In answer to his apology, I mumbled, "It's all right..." and then just walked away. Along the way, I told Raidenwins I would be outside. Apparently he noticed that something was wrong, but I didn't answer his question and just left the Rec Room altogether. I didn't stop walking until I was right at some double doors leading outside, then I stood near the walls and fumed inwardly about the injustice of it all.

I love Mortal Kombat. I love the community. I wanted to get out of this hole of a room I live in to share that passion with others who were like me. The offline tournaments were something I had desired ever since I became beast in MKDC. Had I come this far only to have my chance snatched from me like that?

Eventually Raidenwins and one other player came up to me and asked me what was wrong. I explained my predicament. If it was even possible, Raidenwins looked far more infuriated than myself. He and the other guy instantly stormed off to the Rec Room, intending to speak to the organizer so as to demand that I be allowed entry. I didn't bother following them. I had already lost hope right there.

After a few minutes of sulking over this lost chance, I sighed and began walking back to the Rec Room. I figured since my friends were here and they were competing, I may as well support them. It just hurt that I was going to be left out of it.

Then a miracle arose.

Before I even passed the door to the Rec Room, SaibotMK approached me at a swift stride, telling me that someone was going to give up his spot for me so I could apply. My jaw dropped and I yelled, "What?!" Who the Hell was gonna give up his chance to play just so I could have one? It was one thing that I lost my chance, but for someone else to lose theirs...I didn't want that guilt on my shoulders.

My rage completely forgotten, I ran into the Rec Room and came to where the tourney was happening. I saw a crowd had gathered around the station, and a new addition had joined them: the director himself, some guy in a red shirt whose name I don't remember. He sincerely apologized for the severe complications in the organization of the tournament and then pointed out to me the one who had saved me from losing my chance to compete...a dude named Nick. Don't remember his last name, but it hardly matters.

The director continued to apologize while explaining to me that while I would have to adopt Nick's name for the tournament since I can't get my own on there, I would at least be allowed my shot at the tournament. In exchange, Nick would be compensated for the bold decision he had chosen to make. As much as I hated it that he gave up his spot for me, I couldn't stop a wave of intense relief from sweeping through me. I would still get my chance to prove myself to the community, after all!

All because of the generosity of one person who had given himself up for somebody he didn't know...to this day, I am grateful to him. Thank you, Nick. You saved my dream from crumbling to pieces before I even got to live through it. I will remember this favor and find some way to repay it...somehow.

That also gave me another motivation right there. I couldn't let his help go to waste. So from there on, I made a resolution that I would win the tournament, no matter what it took. If I lost, his favor would be for nothing, and I couldn't allow that. So now I had two things to fight for: the repayment of a huge favor, and the answer to a question that had been burning in me ever since I joined the community.

What was that question? Here it is:

"Do I have what it takes to achieve the life I've always wanted as a member of the Mortal Kombat community? Could I prove my worth?"

I was about to find out.

With everything back on track, it wasn't long before I faced my first opponent. I fail to remember his name, but he played a very solid Nightwolf. Thankfully my Smoke and I held our own and we beat him, thus advancing ourselves to the next round, where I faced SaibotMK. I immediately got nervous right there. He had adapted to the offline play and his Mileena had become very solid, but I knew I had to try what I could.

I had my two-of-three set with SaibotMK, using my Scorpion against his Mileena...unfortunately, I lost. The fights came very close, but I had still blown it - or had I? The organizer told me I was in the Loser's Brackets now, but if I defeated my next incoming opponent I would have another chance in the Grand Finals. Despite that I knew I had a chance still, my loss in that series left me feeling more nervous than ever. I figured I wouldn't claim the tournament at this point...

Nevertheless, I watched as Raidenwins and RayboneKilla faced some other players (they both had been knocked to the Loser's Brackets as well) and eventually RayboneKilla was left standing. So he therefore became my next opponent, and from that point on I chose to stick to Smoke since I found I was having more success with him. By some amazing stroke of fate, I bested Raybone's Reptile and advanced to the Grand Finals.

This meant that once again, I had to face SaibotMK's Mileena. The series would be a three-out-of-five set to decide it all. I figured right there that if I was going to go down, I would be going down fighting as a true Crazy 88...someone who never runs from battle. This also doubled as some sort of a challenge to test my willpower. Was I going to give up, or fight?

I chose to fight. He chose his Mileena. I chose my Smoke. The Chamber of the Flame arena was chosen at random. Clock was at 90 seconds. Everything was set.

As I feared, I got off to a bad start. Saibot's Mileena beat my Smoke twice, leaving me with only one chance. If I lost one more fight, that would be it. I guess I traveled like two hours to Tulsa only to get my ass handed to me...

But suddenly something in me flared up. I worked too hard for what I had. I did not want it to be for nothing. I wanted to accomplish more. I wanted to improve. I wanted to break my current limits. I wanted to show that Thunder did not make a mistake in accepting me as a Crazy 88. I still had to repay the favor Nick had done for me. And above all else...

I wanted to stop being a loser and start being a winner.

The series continued, but this time my mind was sharper and I was more focused. The fight came very close with me making a narrow comeback in Round 2, and then...I won. I was astonished.

But the comeback did not stop there. I still needed two more wins. We fought again in the fourth fight, and yet again I won. The adrenaline within me had reached a dangerous level now, for the score was at two wins each. My Smoke and his Mileena had fought four times, now they had to fight a fifth for the tournament to be decided. It was hard and nerve-wrecking, but at the end of it all...

...I won. I actually won. I came all the way from behind and won the series at 3 - 2 in the Grand Finals. By some miracle, my luck had improved to the point that I was able to read Saibot's Mileena and win the whole tournament. My first offline tournament, held for Mortal Kombat 2011, and I had won it.

You couldn't even begin to imagine how ecstatic I was by what had happened. I was breathing heavily from a combination of shock and happiness, but kept myself composed enough to shake SaibotMK's hand as we told each other good games. The crowd was grinning at me, praising me for my victory. And let me tell you, it felt great.

Part of me still thinks I got incredibly lucky, but the thought failed to sway the feeling of triumph surging through me. I feel so proud of that comeback I made. Who knew it would have happened to me of all people?! I never had considered myself somebody with much talent. I thought I was going to blow it, and I nearly did, but I still kept fighting and won?

While shaking everyone's hand and accepting my prize of $60 (hey, it's something, right?), I felt I had won more than just a tournament. Against what exactly, I'm not sure. And all this would not have happened if someone hadn't given his spot up just so I could compete, though I had never asked him to help me. I also couldn't have done this alone without the support of my friends, both from afar and nearby. You all know who you are.

I called Brant (or Pig of the Hut as you know him) and told him everything that happened. Needless to say, he was quite happy, just like myself. We then proceeded to discuss a few other things, particularly about how I should come to EVO even if I don't manage to register so that I could chill with these guys. Naturally I was definitely willing to try whatever I could to get registered for the tourney.

And now, a few days after that big triumph I experienced, SHORYUKEN helped me complete my registration for EVO. Now after like a week or so I'll be heading to Las Vegas for an even greater experience. It is one I am greatly excited about and I can't wait to see how it will change me and everyone else involved.

Know something funny? While we were on our way to the tournament, RayboneKilla said that the winners of the whole thing would be sitting right in the car we were driving in. Well...looks like he was right. Ray walked away as a Tekken 6 champion and the third-placer in the MK tournament; I walked away as a Mortal Kombat champion; SaibotMK became the second-placer MK competitor; and Raidenwins took fifth.

This whole experience just goes to show that I am very lucky to be part of such an awesome community like all you guys. I do not know where I would be without it. Because of someone's act of generosity, I got to realize my dream of becoming a winner. And I intend to go on to achieve greater things, no matter what.

It had been 1:00 P.M. since we arrived. By the time the clouds of war had settled down, it was around 10:30 P.M. We left at that time, but kinda got lost for a bit in Tulsa trying to find our way out. Thanks to SaibotMK's help, however, we got that fixed up and made our way home, stopping to eat again at McDonald's along the way as a celebration. I even got to do an imitation of Quan Chi as a joke and it got a lot of laughs from those guys, LMAO. They said it was so much like him. Damn, I'm a good actor!

As a result of how I won the tournament, my main character became Smoke. I am very happy of how well I'm doing with him. He shall be my icon at EVO. I'm gonna learn Smoke more and tear up a lot of shit with him, so watch out, ya'll!

...and that wraps up my story. So much typing, I know, but I had to give every detail and leave nothing out. For me, it was such a memorable day and I hope to get more experiences like that, starting with EVO.

See you all around. Oh...and do remember a little something...

"Where there is Smoke, there is fire!"

REYTHEGREAT

Amazing story bro. I remember when I talked to about tourneys and u saud you couldn't travel and stuff. I'm glad you a attending and supporting the scene. Congrats on the win too. Hope to meet you one day and play your smoke :).

retic

Noob
Congrats. Also good to see good sportsmanship displayed before, during and after the tourney.

Unlike the salty experience I've had playing Garena/Int. HoN or DOTA; a contributing factor why I semi-retired from those games (I'd play with real friends, but anonymously? nooooo. Don't get me wrong; they're bad apples too in the fighting game community but compare that to the average Hon/Dota game experience....)

Anyhows, before I go offtrack, hope you don't mind if I share this on twitter ;)

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
This is a good story, far too often I see people admit defeat before they've truly had a chance to compete but this just goes to show things can really turn around when you least expect it. Thanks for sharing!