What's new

The Stick Thread

Dark_Rob

Noob
Is there any custom art templates for the MK te stick yet?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
I assume you mean the PDP stick? While its pretty easy to change the buttons.(not so much the stick, but you can swap out the components and just keep the HAPP base) Modding the artwork would be......difficult. The PDP is made out of MDF board and the artwork and plexi on top of it appear to be glued on(or some other type of adhesive). I can find no screws or anything else on top holding it on so I can only assume an adhesive was used.
Putting new artwork on it would likely involve removing the buttons and stick, and then finding some way to pry off the plexi. If you get that far you have to find a way to get the old art off.(or perhaps you could just lay your new art on top of it?) I have no idea how you would then get the plexi back on without making it a total mess. Thankfully I like the art on the PDP well enough.

The Madcatz T.E. on the other hand you can mod just about everyway. Stick, buttons, art,layout. Its all easy.

axi0m

Noob
Since I haven't turned my PS3 on recently, and have been too lazy to check. Is the PDP stick dual system, or are there mods for it yet for dual system?

My dual system MvC3/SSFIV stick is en route so I can use that for ps3 play but.... yea I like the traditional layout better.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Since I haven't turned my PS3 on recently, and have been too lazy to check. Is the PDP stick dual system, or are there mods for it yet for dual system?

My dual system MvC3/SSFIV stick is en route so I can use that for ps3 play but.... yea I like the traditional layout better.
The PDP is not dual system. There is a model for the PS3 and the 360. However, I believe our own TYM moderator Lucky Day does dual mod PDP sticks for a fee. I believe he would rather dual mod 360 sticks to work on PS3 rather than PS3 sticks to work on 360, but I think he can do both. I would PM him if I were you and ask for details.

MarkMan

SDTEKKEN.COM
Dark_Rob don't worry about it! Glad I could be of some help.

So someone has successfully dual modded a PDP TE? I heard reports that it is not dual mod friendly (under normal circumstance).

I have not dual modded it yet, I'm about to open it up right now.

I'll report my findings.

If it's common ground it will be fine, although it's definitely not going to be a walk in the park type of mod, the pcb is really small and doesn't have easy contacts to work with.

axi0m

Noob
I've done some internal swaps on my TE's and it went smoothly, I can do the wiring and such if we've got a dual mod board or a place to get the parts.

So I just noticed that the MK PDP sticks are still available online on their site. How is it compared to other sticks out there? A bit cheaper than an AIAB stick it seems... just trying to see what my options are before picking one up.

Tim Static

Adminerator
So I just noticed that the MK PDP sticks are still available online on their site. How is it compared to other sticks out there? A bit cheaper than an AIAB stick it seems... just trying to see what my options are before picking one up.
Well, if you are serious about your sticks, you'll want to upgrade the PDP stick with better parts anyways (stick & buttons) so the price is gonna be about the same either way.

I still recommend AIAB over any stick for MK, but the PDP and a Mad Catz TE with the combat panel are also both great choices.

Dark_Rob

Noob
AIAB are overall more solid and more consistent across the board. The PDP's are also extremely nice sticks, especially in regards to the case itself. However the PDP uses chinese made HAPP parts, while the AIAB equivalent model uses Industrias Lorenzo(I.L.) Now Im very happy with my two PDP's. I got lucky in that all my buttons and both sticks worked great out of the box. The key word there is I got "lucky".
Getting good working Happ parts is a bit of a crapshoot(not quite as much as a few years ago) compared to I.L. parts. I.L. is just much more consistent from stick to stick and button to button than Happ is.

My personal advice is three fold.
1. If money is no option go with AIAB. Not only will you be getting genuine I.L. buttons and stick but for a few $$$ more you can have a hybrid stick made which will work on both 360 and PS3.( as well as PC of course.) Not to mention you can get it with custom artwork of your own choosing or design.(superficial I know but some people are into that)

2.If your on a budget but can still swing the PDP than get it. It is a great production stick in terms of the level of craftmanship to the box itself. You could get lucky like me and get a stick and buttons in good order, as I said, Happ has gotten somewhat better in recent months in terms of they're quality consistency. Check all the buttons and make sure they're response is good. Also check the stick and make sure all the directions work, especially that its easy to hit diagonals.( This can sometimes be a problem with newer Happs because they're actuator is a bit smaller than I.L.'s actuator. The worst you may have to do is replace a few buttons or throw an I.L Eurostick in there.(There $9. not to expensive)

3. If you already have a Madcatz Street fighter T.E. and really want to save money than I highly recommend the Madcatz combat panel.
http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5094&idCategory=253
For only a little over $40 you can turn your SF stick into an MK9 stick. I have done a bunch of these mods and they are butter easy to do. And they work great.

These are basically the 3 most popular routes to go.

One more option for TE/TE:S owners (and imo the coolest one) is a Full Plexi Replacement from Art.
Just use the custom panel builder and create your own MK layout our just use the Midway UMK3 template.
After some customization and etching should cost about as much as the Combat panel but will look much sharper.

But don't get me wrong the combat panel is an awesome product, I got one for one of my TE's and I have to say it's probably my favorite MK layout, can't wait till I get my Plexi cover and art for it!

MarkMan

SDTEKKEN.COM
One more option for TE/TE:S owners (and imo the coolest one) is a Full Plexi Replacement from Art.
Just use the custom panel builder and create your own MK layout our just use the Midway UMK3 template.
After some customization and etching should cost about as much as the Combat panel but will look much sharper.

But don't get me wrong the combat panel is an awesome product, I got one for one of my TE's and I have to say it's probably my favorite MK layout, can't wait till I get my Plexi cover and art for it!
Just thought I'd chime in on this. It's a good option but it does have some differences if you go this route.

Obviously plastic is not as sturdy (build wise) as metal. So you WILL notice a difference. Also the weight difference is noticeable.

Other than that, it's solid too. :)

MarkMan

SDTEKKEN.COM
That's a shame, talk about having the wrong idea what "moder friendly" is...

I'm not sure what is so 'mod friendly' about it anyways.

The fact that it has quick disconnects? That's probably what it is. I know for sure it's not the 20 screws nor is it the lack of common ground PCB. :)

That's true about the Plexi top, the weight difference is noticeable if you don't add some weights to your stick :top:

axi0m

Noob
I noticed we didn't have a "other game" stick thread sooo.....

Here are a few pics of my new MAHVEL stick. Custom made by Noel at Suite53.ca

Layout for the template was my creation, the layers and carbon fiber backdrop were done by a friend with pro photoshop skillz.

The stick hasn't entered my hands yet, the wiring/testing still needs to be done but those were pics that Noel sent me yesterday. I'm excited!

Dark_Rob

Noob
I'm not sure what is so 'mod friendly' about it anyways.

The fact that it has quick disconnects? That's probably what it is. I know for sure it's not the 20 screws nor is it the lack of common ground PCB. :)
I gotta agree with Mark here. While I like the PDP, it is definitely NOT mod friendly. The only thing you can change without a minimum of hassle is the buttons. (And by minimum of hassle I mean you still have to unscrew every damn screw on the plexi covering protecting the stick and buttons)
The joystick itself is just hilarious. Looking at it from the top, you assume the stick is bottom mounted because they're are no bolts to be seen on top. But no, no, no. Upon opening up the case your greeted with the very WTF moment of seeing that it is top mounted. But apparently underneath the art layer so you cannot get to the screws that hold the joystick base on. Luckily Happ bases and I.L. bases are identical as far as the competition joystick go, so you can still disassemble the stick itself and just leave the mounting base on. But that is just WTF stupid.

And why am I just not surprised about the PCB not being common ground after seeing that lol