What's new

The Road to Cage's Option Select

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Alright folks it has been revealed that there are indeed "option selects" in this game. I want to see if we can as the Cage players develop or find our own OS if possible. Hopefully something that either goes in to xray or ex nut punch because that would probably be the better moves to use.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I forgot that you can not hit confirm into the x-ray. So this isn't looking into something very plausible but I think its friggin do able. I'm thinking if we find a decent OS with an ex nut punch we can finally use his other moves that could cause a knockdown instead of a reset, but I'm just pulling these ideas out of my ass, testing now.

And Esku look at these threads for the MK OSs http://testyourmight.com/threads/x-ray-os-on-opponents-wakeup.13709/#post-268325http://testyourmight.com/threads/stryker-how-to-disarm-aggressive-punks-by-vulcan-hades.13611/

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You can't cancel into JCs x-ray so it'd be hard to do something like that. Maybe with EX nut punch.

Somewhat related, I tried messing around with a corner OS for when you are waking up if they cross you up. The problem was that it seems like if they cross you up in the corner no matter what you try nut punch will always go in the wrong direction as a wake up attack. Better just manually do delayed flip kick and they will knock you out of the corner with JIP and you can tech roll away. Better than taking the chip from the ensuing string.

The system doesn't really lend itself to OSes, which is good in my opinion. Doesn't mean I wouldn't mind a cage specific one though :p

Okay I know this is none of my business, but you guys play JOHNNY CAGE. A character that can completely deny wake ups + get free blockstrings and frame traps for it. So why the hell would you want to allow them a wake up just to trade with EX nut punch when you can just regular nut punch into pressure? lol :p

In my opinion, the only characters in the game who could potentially benifit from this kind of pseudo OS are:

-Scorpion (EX spear)
-Rain (EX roundhouse)
-Skarlet (EX dash)
-Kenshi (EX up slash)
-Freddy (EX Sweet Dream, NMS, tele, x-ray)
-Sonya (EX cartwheel)
-Stryker (EX baton > reset, X-ray)
-Shang Tsung (EX soul steal)
-Raiden (tele, EX vincinity blast, X-ray)

The other characters have either better options or not a good enough EX move/X-ray to be worth the trade and the meter.

But don't get your hopes up. Like I said in my initial thread, I tested this to death with a lot of characters and I just can't seem to find good enough setups to cover all scenarios (immediate wake up attack and roll back into wake up attack). Stryker has a move that gives him an untechable knockdown so he doesn't need to worry about the roll back possibility because... well they just can't roll back.

Anti-teleports OS are more realistic imo. Maybe JC could buffer a reversed EX nut punch during some of his string gaps. Something like that. But the Anti-wake up thing is just too character specific and spacing/timing specific to be reliable.

I agree with Vulcan Hades. There could possibly be something with EX nut punch. Other than that, one OS might be a delayed F3 for Raiden and Cyrax's teleport. It will either keep pressuring them with F3 or B3 will come out when they teleport. The only thing is if they throw out an attack in between that delay period.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
String into D3 into F3 is an OS right? They try to cross you over they get AA B3'd, they try to jump back you have enough time to dash in F3 AA, other than that they'll be blocking, if they block the D3 they'd need quick reactions to counter the F3

The D3 recovery is short enough to be able to do all these things

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Okay I know this is none of my business, but you guys play JOHNNY CAGE. A character that can completely deny wake ups + get free blockstrings and frame traps for it. So why the hell would you want to allow them a wake up just to trade with EX nut punch when you can just regular nut punch into pressure?
If it works and is useful, why the hell not. Sometimes there are still character where you have to just guess correctly with the wakeups (like Kabal or Noob) and there are some where you can easily react to the wake up (like Scorpion or Smoke). Its just like, why not if its for the better?

I'm having some severe trouble with this because of the fact that Johnny Cage has no strings that work great with this. Most of the time I mess up and end up just up doing one of his strings with an ex nut punch.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You can't use the nut punch d1+2 shortcut on as a wakeup attack. The game just doesn't allow it.

On wake up you won't have time to d1 or uppercut on most knockdowns as your character has to fully stand before you are allowed to use normals. Would be impossible in almost any situation a corner cross up is happening on wake up.