What's new

The relevance of Sonya

Whippoorwill

In my hater era
Hi everyone. I've been lurking since...well, forever, but I decided to join pumped by the excitement of MK 11.

I wanted to create this post to share my personal experience with the franchise and one of its characters in particular, thinking someone might feel similarly for a different character or the game in general,and hopefully provide a nostalgic if not emotional trip to the past. Also, maybe a bit in response to some of the negative feedback Sonya's presence has had in this game.

I first remember finding UMK3 in the arcades when I was a kid, back when they were common in my country and instantly falling in love with it. I've yet to understand the specific reason though. I didn't care for the gore, personally. I felt so drawn to such an eclectic, colourful and diverse group of characters, and I felt a rush confronting a rival in a fight for survival.

As a young boy struggling with being bullied because of being an outcast in interests and ideas, I
felt great refuge in games; mostly rpgs, and Mortal Kombat.

And I clearly remember, specifically, the first time I saw Sonya at the arcades. All I had was her
appearance, and a few minutes after the coolest moves I had ever seen. She was a badass and yet femenine, seemingly human fighting against all odds, all these monsters, ninjas, and sorcerers, and actually keeping up with them. She was me.

Since that moment I got all the games that existed and became a fan for life; I got into
the lore and played every installment (except deception ;) ).

There was still something I had to go through with which, as incredible as it might sound,
this videogame character helped so much.

Since a young age I felt different in many ways, the vital one being what I now know was my sexuality.
From ignorance, my father would take me to the arcade but forbid me to pick female characters
to try and make me more tradiotionally masculine. He's come a long way since then, thankfully.
But I still remember those instances of feeling directly opressed, and then the freedom, the thrill of picking her when I was alone.

As an adult with my own ideas, I know see aspects of her character I strongly identify with;
to me, a female character so strong and important to the story, not in relation to her gender,
a man, or her sexualization (since MKX) is incredibly positive and a step in the right direction
for our society in general.

I know some people find her boring, and that's ok, of course. We all have different opinions and
tastes. I don't think Cassie makes her repetitive for example, being blonde and special forces are two very generic characteristics that do not define a character at all. It's the same as comparing Scorpion and SubZero for having black hair and being "ninjas". But they don't fall victim to such comparisions because of a number of reasons. Again, I understand and respect it if you disagree.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for reading. I just wanted to share some feelings and
became closer to people of the community who may identify with something I wrote. I can't even explain how exciting it was to me to see her in the reveal event, and how thrilled I am that she´s back.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Welcome to TYM and amazing first post. Sometimes the little things can have a massive effect. Glad Sonya the character was able to help you power through some real life circumstances. I can see why it helped. That happens more often than you'd believe, and you chose wisely.

Thanks for sharing that and enjoy being a part of the community.

xiskza

Underworld
I played her and Chun Li as my first ever fighting game chars. I guess I always gravitated towards female characters, they fit my playstyle better too.

Whippoorwill

In my hater era
Welcome to TYM and amazing first post. Sometimes the little things can have a massive effect. Glad Sonya the character was able to help you power through some real life circumstances. I can see why it helped. That happens more often than you'd believe, and you chose wisely.

Thanks for sharing that and enjoy being a part of the community.
That's very kind of you, I actually didn't know what answer to expect!

People talk about the " big 3 " being,Sub ,Scorp and Raiden, but my big 3 will always be Liu Kang, Cage and Sonya. And Sonya deserves always to be in an mk game, after all, she is our first lady.
The three chosen heroes right? They always felt like the main triad to me too. Though the story has deviated from that plot, maybe now we're getting past scenarios, we can have some of that again. I would love a scene with Raiden recruiting them and then traveling by the infamous ship, for example.

Dedlock

Noob
She's been apart of Mortal Kombat's fabric from the beginning . She's always been there and I can't imagine a MK without her, she's irreplaceable.

Hopefully , the team have planned great things for her in this game.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
i've noticed an increase in Sonya hate recently and I have no idea where it's coming from, I always thought she was awesome. It's sad she doesn't have her classic moves in MK11, but I always liked her, especially her and Johnny together and now with Cassie, it reminds me so much of my parents and I and I'll always have a soft spot for the Cage family because of that.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Love Sonya to death on MK franchise, and she is the alpha female , the first lady , the first woman fighter in the franchise, and she kick ass .... so, I think she is very important for MK franchise and her gameplay in MK9 and MKX were top notch, ultra fun both playing and watching, very entertainment .... understand some MK fans wanting her to be replaced by Cassie definitely, but, it's just a matter of opinion .... I think she can somehow stay, even as DLC option, just in case , in future games, she might not take part of the main story mode anymore. :D

Sonya is a series staple. She's had some great incarnations and some not so great ones, in my opinion. She's not even a character I particularly care much for, but I respect her status and her fans. She definitely has gotten a lot of hate recently, but I feel that it's mostly based on her characterization in the last few games. At any rate, it always makes me smile when people really have a deep connection to their favorite characters.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Sonya is a series staple. She's had some great incarnations and some not so great ones, in my opinion. She's not even a character I particularly care much for, but I respect her status and her fans. She definitely has gotten a lot of hate recently, but I feel that it's mostly based on her characterization in the last few games. At any rate, it always makes me smile when people really have a deep connection to their favorite characters.
I think it has a lot to do with, as you said, the way she's been written in MKX. She's the bad guy in the family, the mom that isn't there for her daughter and destroyed her marriage because of her work. I even felt myself siding with Johnny on that because I don't think anyone should ignore their family for work - and I feel like that's what ticked a lot of people off about her. That and she seems so angry and a bit too stern all the time.

Precisely. I hope that she actually reconciles with Cassie and Johnny more in this game. I don't wanna spend 2 games in a row scowling at her whenever she shows up on screen. Lol

Whippoorwill

In my hater era
I think it has a lot to do with, as you said, the way she's been written in MKX. She's the bad guy in the family, the mom that isn't there for her daughter and destroyed her marriage because of her work. I even felt myself siding with Johnny on that because I don't think anyone should ignore their family for work - and I feel like that's what ticked a lot of people off about her. That and she seems so angry and a bit too stern all the time.
You know I keep reading this same opinion, and I always saw her distancing as a beautiful flaw. I mean, she's not a business woman, she's responsible for the entirity of earth's defenses against freaking monsters!

Still a flaw, you don't abandon your family. But a sacrificial one, in relation to a moral standard.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
There are character that MUST be in every MK game.
Scorpion
Sub
Liu Kang
Raiden
Sonya
Cage
MK isn’t MK if these characters are not in. Period.
You can add Reptile,Kitana, Baraka, Cyrax/Sektor for diversity. The rest are optional. The funny fact is that all of these charaxters have skipped at least one game.
Sub isn’t one character and there was neither of them in MK tournament edition.
Removing Liu Kang from DA was Midway’s the biggest mistake for me. Let alone making him Zombie after.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
You know I keep reading this same opinion, and I always saw her distancing as a beautiful flaw. I mean, she's not a business woman, she's responsible for the entirity of earth's defenses against freaking monsters!

Still a flaw, you don't abandon your family. But a sacrificial one, in relation to a moral standard.
That's very true, it is like a sacrifice.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
understand some MK fans wanting her to be replaced by Cassie definitely
And that would be disgraceful. Would they want Johnny replaced by Sonny Cage (or whatever NRS would call his son with Sonya)? No, of course not. But these same fans want Sonya replaced by a younger version. It's ageism, pure and simple. And in this game that won't be a problem, because a young version of Sonya is likely to show up. For an entire generation of girls, Sonya Blade was THE ONE. She was the only female character from Mortal Kombat. You don't replace Chun Li. You don't replace Sonya Blade. It's that simple.

Dedlock

Noob
But you know Sonya has always been emotionally closed. She uses it as a defence mechanism cause she's afraid of losing the people she loves.

She takes losses to heart very deeply, so the colder she is to Cassie the more she cares. In fact in MKX her mask slips a couple of times revealing how much she cares about Johnny and Cassie.

I would categorize Sonya as the heart of Mortal Kombat because she's the only one who cares! not just about her family but she resurrects Jax, she was going to resurrect liu Kang And Kitana before scorpion ruined everything.

I always felt the opposite. All these kool ninjas, sorcerers, monsters were amazing, and all the human characters like Kano, Sonya, Cage, and Lui Kang were boring to me. If I wanted a Bruce Lee rip off or military woman I could play Street Fighter.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
That was me being nice. Bro, listen, Sonya is getting negative feedback because

1. Ronda Rousey is ruining the character with the godawful VA.

2. Before they updated the faces she looked like El Goblina and her body isnt “historically accurate” lul

3. Too many Cages. Easy target to hate when other characters dont make it.

4. She is just boring. Its not sexist, like you want to imply here bro. Sure Scorp and Sub are just ninjas but at least they use magic and not guns. At least Cassie has Johnny Cage green powers. Plus Sonya character arc is all about family drama in a franchise not recognized for shakespeare level writing, which brings me back to point 3. Nobody cares about all that

So, all in all, its not really a personal attack on you or Sonya players.

PoloExpress

The Luckiest Unlucky player you'll ever meet.
I always felt the opposite. All these kool ninjas, sorcerers, monsters were amazing, and all the human characters like Kano, Sonya, Cage, and Lui Kang were boring to me. If I wanted a Bruce Lee rip off or military woman I could play Street Fighter.
Well to be honest, the Bruce Lee/Female Soldier character archetype is kind of a staple in most fighting games at this point

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Love your post.
And love Sonya!

It's a shame she is being played by Ronda because she's a terrible actress. But Sonya as a character is among my faves. She should always be on every Mortal Kombat.

Whippoorwill

In my hater era
That was me being nice. Bro, listen, Sonya is getting negative feedback because

1. Ronda Rousey is ruining the character with the godawful VA.

2. Before they updated the faces she looked like El Goblina and her body isnt “historically accurate” lul

3. Too many Cages. Easy target to hate when other characters dont make it.

4. She is just boring. Its not sexist, like you want to imply here bro. Sure Scorp and Sub are just ninjas but at least they use magic and not guns. At least Cassie has Johnny Cage green powers. Plus Sonya character arc is all about family drama in a franchise not recognized for shakespeare level writing, which brings me back to point 3. Nobody cares about all that

So, all in all, its not really a personal attack on you or Sonya players.
Hello and thank you for your opinion.

1) She was getting hate way before even the email leak.

2) A character can be 'ugly' and valuable, no?

3) She is not a Cage. Too many ninjas I'd say.

4) Highly subjective. She is the single most interesting character to me and other people. Meanwhile I find Scorpion extremely boring.

Reactions: Leo