What's new

The REAL Sonya Match up Chart

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Am I like the only Reptile player (Or player in general) that doesn't think Sonya beats Reptile any worse than 6-4?

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Talked to Riu48 over in the Sonya forums about the MU as well. He's got me convinced it's a 6-4 as well (though I did think it was a 7-3 for a while).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Espio

Kokomo
I actually really agree with REO's list for the most part, Sonya beating these characters 6-4 and such makes perfect sense, Kano, Jade, Stryker, Baraka etc going 6-4 against her makes perfect sense given her tools and theirs. I have no real qualms with this list.

Sonya going 6.5-3.5 against Sheeva due to the decimals could easily sway it either way, though I'm partial to 6-4, so no disagreements there, list looks so legit.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
LMAO. This is the REAL Sonya MU chart. I am not trolling when I post it either and the 99% of the Sonya community who downplays their character are going to hate me when I post it.

Baraka: 7-3
Cage: 5-5
CSZ: 6.5-3.5
Cyrax: 6-4
Ermac: 6.5-3.5
Freddy: 3.5-6.5
Jade: 7-3
Jax: 6-4
Kabal: 4-6
Kano: 7-3
Kenshi: 3.5-6.5
Kitana: 6-4
Kung Lao: 6-4
Liu Kang: 6.5-3.5
Mileena- 7-3
Nightwolf: 7-3
Noob: 5-5
Quan Chi: 7-3
Raiden: 6.5-3.5
Rain: 6.5-3.5
Reptile: 6.5-3.5
Scorpion: 7-3
Sektor: 6.5-3.5
Shang: 6.5-3.5
Sheeva: 7-3
Sindel: 5-5
Skarlet: 6-4
Smoke: 6-4
Stryker: 6-4
Sub-Zero: 5-5
The thing that's shocking to me is that anyone finds this shocking.

Death

Noob
Talked to Riu48 over in the Sonya forums about the MU as well. He's got me convinced it's a 6-4 as well (though I did think it was a 7-3 for a while).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Refer to my sonya MU chart on the 2nd page. Its the most accurate chart when Sonya is played at the highest possible level. Right now no Sonya player out there is even remotely close to it but once I get there it will be 7-3 vs Baraka lol

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I'm on the edge of changing it to 7.5-2.5. Reason why I had it as 7-3 is cuz in the old traditional MU chart it would be labelled as 6-4 or at worst 6.5-3.5. I added a full point to every ADV MU and added a .5 to every 5.5-4.5 sonya had. I personally think the only 8-2 in the game is Sheeva/Mileena.

Cage/Scorpion is clearly 7.5-2.5 and slightly worse than Sonya/Scorp because unlike Cage sonyas strings hit high and scorp can get out a lot easier. Scorps pokes on hit are disadvantage. Thats disaster when fighting someone like Cage.
I would say sonya is just as hard a match up as cage if not harder. d4 controls the entire flow of the match and the absolute only thing scorpion can do to stop d4 is throw out a random back 2 and hope it hits while you're still in your d4 animation. The best he can do in this match is try to hellfire and run away as much as possible which will just stall his death. Sonya has no reason to jump his hellfire at all as long as she advances forward. If she does jump she's just asking to eat an AA spear.Once in d4 range she can abuse it into her mix ups and just stay on top of scorpion.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
REO, I DONT AGREE ON THE SEKTOR ONE!!!!!!!!
:p
I think Sektor loses to Sonya for similar reasons he loses to Mileena. Though not as bad since Sektor can somewhat zone Sonya for a bit, while never allowed to shoot a missile against Mileena. d4 stuffs all pressure and leads into MS; Sektor has nothing to punish d4 outside flamethrower which is unsafe on block against Sonya.

Death

Noob
@ KT. Its bad when you fight high level kenshis offline. Online Kenshis I can handle with Sonya but offline its really tough cuz the kenshi player can react to everything I do since Kenshi controls the fight. The biggest problem with Kenshi sonya is the fact that kenshi is always touching you and chipping you to death and will always have meter. Alot of kenshi players usually throw out ex SC as frame traps but it wont work vs Sonya cuz of her Ex cartwheel so ex teleflurry blows up Sonya. Kenshi can freely zone Sonya out without cornering himself either. Its tough for Sonya cuz she cant play footsies with Kenshi and she cant punish SC on whiff either and with all his safe armor and adv on block its rough. Its slightly worse than Kabal/Sonya

@Andrew, I actually think Mileena/Sektor isn't that bad. Its slight Mileena adv but I think Sonya Sektor is really bad. That MU is fucked up for Sektor.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
I think Sektor loses to Sonya for similar reasons he loses to Mileena. Though not as bad since Sektor can somewhat zone Sonya for a bit, while never allowed to shoot a missile against Mileena. d4 stuffs all pressure and leads into MS; Sektor has nothing to punish d4 outside flamethrower which is unsafe on block against Sonya.
I agree.
Sektor has 6 4-6s in the game (one 7-3 Sheeva) and 5 6-4s in the game. The rest are 5-5s. Most balanced character IMO
4-6s are Sonya,Mileena,kenshi,smoke,kabal,freddy

I dont think sektor vs sonya is any worst than 4-6

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
I agree.
Sektor has 6 4-6s in the game and 5 6-4s in the game. The rest are 5-5s. Most balanced character IMO
Well said.

I started to have doubts about Freddy having the favor against Sektor, it has become not too bad after playing the match up some more. I could see it working its way to 5/5 with some more match up experience. I'd say outside of that one I'm really confident in the other matches being 4/6.

I only counter pick Smoke at the moment. Which is a testament to Sektor being a well balanced character imo. I might start counter picking Mileena as well, but I think the Mileena player has to really know the match up to make it a 4/6. There's only one Mileena player I know of that really exploits Sektor, and it's my close friend.

Using Kenshi against Sonya is nice, since he's the best pocket character to have imo.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I agree.
Sektor has 6 4-6s in the game (one 7-3 Sheeva) and 5 6-4s in the game. The rest are 5-5s. Most balanced character IMO

I dont think sektor vs sonya is any worst than 4-6
Why do you think the Sektor vs. Freddy match up is in Freddy's favor?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
LMAO. This is the REAL Sonya MU chart. I am not trolling when I post it either and the 99% of the Sonya community who downplays their character are going to hate me when I post it.

Baraka: 7-3
Cage: 5-5
CSZ: 6.5-3.5
Cyrax: 6-4
Ermac: 6.5-3.5
Freddy: 3.5-6.5
Jade: 7-3
Jax: 6-4
Kabal: 4-6
Kano: 7-3
Kenshi: 3.5-6.5
Kitana: 6-4
Kung Lao: 6-4
Liu Kang: 6.5-3.5
Mileena- 7-3
Nightwolf: 7-3
Noob: 5-5
Quan Chi: 7-3
Raiden: 6.5-3.5
Rain: 6.5-3.5
Reptile: 6.5-3.5
Scorpion: 7-3
Sektor: 6.5-3.5
Shang: 6.5-3.5
Sheeva: 7-3
Sindel: 5-5
Skarlet: 6-4
Smoke: 6-4
Stryker: 6-4
Sub-Zero: 5-5
Make Mileena & NW 6-4, all the 6.5s into 6-4 and yea I'd agree.

Not Skarlet though, thats 5-5, even though nobody plays Skarlet UFG must be one of the only 1s so I do have some experience.
Same with KL, that comes from my KL vs every other Sonya, and my Sonya vs UFG & PL

No 7-3s

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Death
i think having sonya beat baraka 7-3 is a bit of a stretch,i think reo had it spot on at 6-4 sonya
Sonya beating Baraka 7-3 could possibly be very accurate, offline that is. I would actually like to see if Death can test this MU with his Sonya against an offline Baraka player like Riu48 (side character?), JoseDaCuban or BuryMeinBlack (when he gets a chance to attend a tournament). Baraka and Sonya are like so safe online. Offline, Sonya can interrupt Baraka's normals/strings with her standing 1 jab, Dive Kick, Ex Cartwheel and his special moves blocked and Baraka's normals are so slow like I don't know maybe Mileena/Sheeva etc speed. Online Baraka gets away with a lot of crap just as Sonya online escapes free easy.

Baraka and Sonya have good projectiles so they probably give each other problems in that department but Sonya wrecks Baraka up close effortlessly. Looking at some Baraka proposal to buff his Blade Spark is ridiculous, it's a good projectile for trades just as Sonya's Pink Rings are used to keep other zoning characters in check to interrupt their spam like Kitana's Fans etc.

Other than that, I agree with Death placing it 7-3 for now.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
REO 5-5 Skarlet imo. I need to play the top sonyas at evo to find out if it's 5.5 in Skarlets favor, which it may be.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Sonya beating Baraka 7-3 could possibly be very accurate, offline that is. I would actually like to see if Death can test this MU with his Sonya against an offline Baraka player like Riu48 (side character?), JoseDaCuban or BuryMeinBlack (when he gets a chance to attend a tournament). Baraka and Sonya are like so safe online. Offline, Sonya can interrupt Baraka's normals/strings with her standing 1 jab, Dive Kick, Ex Cartwheel and his special moves blocked and Baraka's normals are so slow like I don't know maybe Mileena/Sheeva etc speed. Online Baraka gets away with a lot of crap just as Sonya online escapes free easy.

Baraka and Sonya have good projectiles so they probably give each other problems in that department but Sonya wrecks Baraka up close effortlessly. Looking at some Baraka proposal to buff his Blade Spark is ridiculous, it's a good projectile for trades just as Sonya's Pink Rings are used to keep other zoning characters in check to interrupt their spam like Kitana's Fans etc.

Other than that, I agree with Death placing it 7-3 for now.
why would you bring up online things? what do they have to do with anything?
sonya can interupt 22 1+2 yes but the other two she can interupt is b31*f1 and b32*2, both of switch shoulf never be used anyway because there full combo on block and not special cancelable
non instant dive kicks less out a problem for baraka because of spin
he can punish her whiffed d4 which alot of chars cant

a projectile that alot of the cast can duck block and it wont hit and is -23 on block and -4 on hit with 43 frames of recovery is too good to you?cmon guy!
by the way sonyas is -7 on block and +12 on hit with 30 frames of recovery and will hit a duck blocking opp,how you could stay these are just as good as eachother? its a crazy statement to make,sonya can use her rings as a great tool to build meter because of recovery baraka cant

Quite convinced Noob and Sonya do have it at 5-5. EX cartwheel is as big of a deal for him as everyone else, and she shouldn't be able to exploit it against his zoning game, because when Sonya is that close, you aren't going to be throwing shadows out anyway. The only other thing that is difficult is dive kicks into 40% bnbs, but this is also generally when you throw shadows at jump distance. Even if Death may not remember, we have played this match up online, and I do not even vaguely recall being outmatched because of the characters, just my inexperience at the time. I should ask GamerBlake to run this match up with me some time soon, and I will have better info on it, but for me right now it stands as a 5-5.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
non instant dive kicks less out a problem for baraka because of spin
he can punish her whiffed d4 which alot of chars cant

a projectile that alot of the cast can duck block and it wont hit and is -23 on block and -4 on hit with 43 frames of recovery
Her instant air Dive Kick that she barely lifts off from the ground interrupts. What is the real threat of Baraka for Sonya? An armored Ex Cartwheel combo launcher, same Mileena's D4, Dive Kick, 7 frame standing 1 jab, 7 frame fast uppercut... a ridiculous character that beats nearly the entire cast. His damage output is heavily dependent in the corner where as she can get nearly 50% midscreen from MS resets and about 60% in the corner. Baraka's projectile is good for trades you can duck it just like Sonya's Pink Rings but you really can't jump over it. Besides no one should ever be jumping in on Baraka or even try to cross up attempt, he has tools for those. Patches are done so no more NRS mistakes buffing stuff, just look at Jax's projectile it got buffed where it shoots fast and recovers fast. Sonya's Pink Ring starts slow but recovers quick, it was like that from the beginning. Same to be said about Baraka's Blade Spark projectile, leave it as it is. Both can be ducked, good for trades.